will you be hunting early season geese

yes
67%
no
33%

Total votes : 3

early geese

Postby REDLEG » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:37 pm

just a little over 2 months till the season.just wanted to see how many people would be going.
REDLEG
hunter

Postby David » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:39 pm

If there were any geese down here in the Mobile Delta I would, but seeing that that is very unlikely, I guess I'm stuck fishing. In all my years of hunting on the Delta, I've only gotten one lost snow goose. In October me an a buddy will be heading up to Canada to hunt with Michitoba. That will be my first chance to go on a goose hunt.
David
Lefty

Postby ALMODUX » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:21 pm

We're covered up with them....saw a gaggle yesterday that must have had over 50 birds....a lot for mid-summer. :biggrin:
Here's a thought: Let the ducks work and decoy.
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:56 pm

Yall sure do have some good looking places over there. We were over there in april at Gunterville and there were geese everywhere.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby REDLEG » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:20 am

it must be have been a good hatch this spring.i rode up to the camden area last weekend and saw several broods with 20+ birds in them.lots of young and dumb. it looks like it will be a good opener.of course ive seen older birds pull young ones away from the spread early on too.
REDLEG
hunter

Postby ALMODUX » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:17 pm

If you could keep the old ones from showing the young ones the ropes so quick, you could wear them out. I think those young, small geese that you can shoot in the early season that have never flown more than a mile or so in their life, are some of the best eating there is. I usually want no part of the older ones until they b ecome summer sausage or pepperoni sticks. :lol:
Here's a thought: Let the ducks work and decoy.
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby RHF » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:38 am

Funny thing on the west side of the state - you see geese during the spring while bass fishing and then about middle of July, they just disappear until November. If I can find where they are moving to, I will hunt early goose.

RHF
Sometime duck hunter
RHF
hunter

Postby REDLEG » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:01 am

I would rate those young geese with early teal on the table.some fine eating right there :thumbsup: glad to see this rain i hope everybody got some this weekend.[/quote]
REDLEG
hunter

Postby tripleCBoykins » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:31 pm

My turkey hunting buddy saw gosling the second week of turkey season here. I would judge the hatch to be about average for the residents on Lake west point. Been watching a goose in the local park she hatched off ten. She's down to six now, they are almost fledged. Saw a goose the other day that had 5 brand new one's, another goose with her had 2 that were at least a month old. I can't wait for the early season, looks promising.
On another note. I bought a flocking kit (Aero Outdoors heads and tail kit) and flocked my few dec's this past weekend. What a drastic change, I can't wait to try them out.
Hunt with Boykins
tripleCBoykins
hunter

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting