doves

Discuss Alabama duck hunting and more.

Moderator: David

doves

Postby tripleCBoykins » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:31 am

Anyone been checking out their doves yet. I saw about 300 birds the other evening. Looks like opening day is going to be good on our clear cut.
Hunt with Boykins
tripleCBoykins
hunter

Postby REDLEG » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:24 am

ive been seeing a few around. i didnt get my feilds planted until a couple of weeks ago(drought). i dont know if they will be ready by the 15th.on a possitive note i have seen some young birds and the turkey hatch here was outstanding this year.it seems like a dry spring bodes well for upland birds. and the # of ringneck doves is still on the increase. there like the perfect dove BIG,SLOW,and STUUUPID :yes:
REDLEG
hunter

Postby David » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:01 pm

The only good thing about the collared doves in Alabama is that they are considered an invasive species with no closed season nor limit on them. I have a feeling that this might change in a few years though. I'd like to know the impact that they have on our mourning dove population.
David
Lefty

Postby tripleCBoykins » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:12 pm

Collard doves must be like a 2y/o turkey if their that easy to shoot. Honestly I haven't seen any around my home. Yet there are plenty of them in town. Just a matter of time I guess. Just a thought could they be filling the void left by the passenger pigeon. Now there is something I would have loved to have seen.
Hunt with Boykins
tripleCBoykins
hunter

Postby REDLEG » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:52 pm

i think the status on the ringneck(collard)dove will change.heck,one of the most popular game birds in north america is(was)an invasive, the pheasant. i just cant bring myself to shoot them during the "off" season. i read an article a while back that in the 70s some roseybilled pochards were released in south florida for the purpose of establishing a resident flock of wild ones but they didnt make it.hungarian partrige now a game bird. anybody name some more?
REDLEG
hunter

Postby David » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:49 pm

Neutrea was introduced for fur trading and took over in LA. We used to have a bunch down here, but after gators got put on the endangered list and their numbers increased, the neutrea population dropped so that you almost never see them.

:hijacked: Well I just realized we've hijacked this thread and it's just getting started. Oh well at least we're talking about something. You can tell the season is getting closer since the posts are picking up.

Back to doves, I haven't seen many down here yet. I hope to go sometime this year, but I don't have any land to hunt on myself. Typically I've had to pay to hunt, although I'm occasionally invited by the suppliers we buy materials from. With that plus the new baby at home, it might make it hard for me to go this year.
David
Lefty

Postby tripleCBoykins » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:47 pm

Don't worry about hijacking. Any talk on here is beter than nothing. I'm glad we have the clear cut because we sure didn't have any birds before it got cut. I was in the same boat about having to be invited to a shoot.
Hunt with Boykins
tripleCBoykins
hunter

ringneck

Postby Quackster » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:35 pm

Our limit on doves in the north zone is 15, including ringnecks so there is a season, and limit on them. Ive noticed they tend to stay near towns and cities, more like a pigeon than a morning dove. They shouldnt have any more of an impact on the morning dove than the pigeons do. We have large amounts of doves in the tuscaloosa area. If ammo goes up much more, I dont know anyone who will be able to afford to shoot very many though :sad:
Quackster
hunter

Postby David » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:11 pm

Taken from the season limits draft.

MOURNING DOVE:
NORTH ZONE: All counties except those listed above.
15 a Day – 15 in Possession in North Zone (60 Days)
Split Season September 15 – October 7
October 27 – November 17
December 15 – December 29
Shooting Hours:
12 O’clock noon until Sunset (Afternoon Shooting Only) September 15
One-half hour before Sunrise until Sunset (All Day) September 16 – October 7
One-half hour before Sunrise until Sunset (All Day) October 27 – November 17
One-half hour before Sunrise until Sunset (All Day) December 15 – December 29

As you will see it specifically says Mourning Dove. I have talked with many game wardens and every time they have said that collared doves do not count towards your limit of mourning doves nor is there a closed season on them.
David
Lefty

Postby AU Mallard » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:59 am

That's a big 10-4 on the collared doves.
They are a non-native species. There's no-limit, no closed season.
AU Mallard
hunter

Postby Quackster » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:46 am

I have to say , you are right and im wrong, Ive re- read my regulation book and it doesnt even mention ringnecks. I dont know where i got my false info from.
Quackster
hunter

Postby David » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:16 am

It's not a problem Quackster, that's what this board is for. We are able to talk with others and learn something that we might not have known before. I know I've learned a bit from looking at hunting websites.
David
Lefty

Postby tripleCBoykins » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:00 pm

Good luck gentlemen!!!
Hunt with Boykins
tripleCBoykins
hunter

Postby Xtra_Grey » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:36 am

that cold front that came through friday pushed all of our dove out, we only got 12 dove between 9 people saturday
Xtra_Grey
hunter

Postby tripleCBoykins » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:38 pm

I can't shoot, killed 4. Want tell ya how many I missed :mad: .
Hunt with Boykins
tripleCBoykins
hunter

Postby r-n-tms » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:57 pm

killed a limit saterday and sunday it was alot of fun :thumbsup:
r-n-tms
hunter

Postby uxoman » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:16 pm

Xtra_Grey wrote:that cold front that came through friday pushed all of our dove out, we only got 12 dove between 9 people saturday

I guess that cold front pushed all of the doves onto Redstone Arsenal. LOL I was in a field that at least 20 people got there limit by 4:30.
ROB

"Initial Success or Total Failure"

US Army Bomb Disposal
uxoman
hunter

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting