unofficial canada duck report

Discuss Alabama duck hunting and more.

Moderator: David

unofficial canada duck report

Postby REDLEG » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:24 pm

this was posted on another forum,"we had over 7" of rain in june.every slough was full during the nesting season and we are seeing unusually large #s of ducks. saskatchewan is the same story." not from a goverment official but from someone who watches the birds. its good news to me :thumbsup:
REDLEG
hunter

Postby David » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:44 pm

I just got off the phone with Michitoba in Manitoba and he said they have seen a whole bunch of ducks up there. Sounds like good reports from up that way. Hopefully a few will decide to come down between the flyways and hit our areas.
David
Lefty

Postby tripleCBoykins » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:07 pm

Pray for really cold weather guys. Maybe just maybe we will see a bunch of ducks.
Hunt with Boykins
tripleCBoykins
hunter

Postby REDLEG » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:59 am

the grey ducks,teal,shovelers,etc. are going to migrate regardless,no one can convince me otherwise.go 100 miles west of us(on the coast)and see.we have some other issues here on the coastal plain(especially the lower delta)why the birds wont stay around.
REDLEG
hunter

Postby David » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:14 am

Of the 3 biggest problems with the lower delta that I see, 2 are man made and 1 in mother nature. First is heavy hunting pressure by a large population of hunters living right next to it. Second is the morons that count birds by running through them instead of glassing a large body of water, thus putting pressure on them to fly somewhere with less traffic. And third is several years with a long stretch of no rain. That let the salt water come further up into the bay and killed off a bunch of the grasses that some of the ducks feed on or used as protection.

Some people blame mud motors, but I don't think that is one of the problems. I still hunt the same places I used to before I got a go-devil, it just takes me less time to get there now than it used to when I had to pole in.

What's your take on it Redleg? Even though I'm mostly a delta hunter, go ahead and say it all, I'm pretty thick skinned on this type of stuff. Besides it might let some others that are doing wrong see the errors of their ways. :yes:
David
Lefty

Postby ALMODUX » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:47 am

David wrote:....Some people blame mud motors, but I don't think that is one of the problems. I still hunt the same places I used to before I got a go-devil, it just takes me less time to get there now than it used to when I had to pole in.....

It's like gun control....'If mudmotors tear up marsh, then we can blame misspelled words on our pencils.'

Same deal as Tread Lightly for offroad vehicles. In estuary environments, yall have some sensitive areas where vegetation is easily disturbed....in most lakes and inland rivers these days, there is usually not that concern....they have too many weeds and running them is not bad, but clean your motor off before you transplant them somewhere else. :lol:
Here's a thought: Let the ducks work and decoy.
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby REDLEG » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:50 am

yes,yes,and yes. i dont beleive mud motors are at fault either;but i do think irresponsible use is a BIG issue. you dont scout by running birds up...period. i dont know what some of these guys are thinking. just some food for thought, mud motors have been outlawed on some of the WMAs in Texas for this very reason. second. grass. the evils of millfoil. as some of you know our great DOC started killing it in the late 80s. when there were mats of this stuff you could kill birds within sight of the chocalota launch. even being an invasive i think it was just filling the void of the ribbon grass and widgeon grass.ducks like it and the little things that grow on it too. third. go back to 3 or 4 days till 12noon. all these are why i hunt the delta very rarely now. i still love the place ,i grew up there,killed my first banded duck there in 1983,its just not what it was(or can be again)and its a shame.
REDLEG
hunter

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting