Decoys in straight line in N. Alabama

Discuss Alabama duck hunting and more.

Moderator: David

Decoys in straight line in N. Alabama

Postby Whatarush » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:51 am

Does anybody know what is up with putting out decoys in a straight line? While out this weekend I noticed one group of hunters with thier deeks all in a straight line about 8-10 feet apart in a string of a dozen. Futhermore, the deeks where (from best I could tell) green head with a white body. They looked just like mallard deeks with a white body. Anybody have any knowledge of this setup or what kind of deek that may have been?
Can't believe how much duckin fun this is!!!
Whatarush
hunter

Postby David » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:58 am

Never heard or seen anything like that down here.
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby rivertrash » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:09 am

Sounds like diver decoys, like maybe a string of blue bills. They add a different look to your regular spread, can be very effective on mallards.
rivertrash
hunter

Postby Whatarush » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:16 am

I tell you what...it worked for these guys. I'll never forget the first class *** whoopin these guys gave us and every other group of hunters on this body of water. With about 4 hunters set up in the area, these guys got every single flight to land on their deeks. They put down 8 birds within a couple of hours...knowone else on the water even got a shot. I have been shooled! I am but a mere peasent.
Whatarush
hunter

Postby willis1 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:45 pm

its diver lines, its the best way to decoy divers.

if you hunt big water or bay areas that hold divers you need to use them. they really work. i even use them with my puddler spread,

just keep the lines close to the bank so that they don't block off puddlers to far out of range.
"Ducks are wild becuase they have to be, We are wild becuase we prefer to be."
- Jack Miner
willis1
hunter

Postby cootman » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:19 pm

could u tell what kind of ducks where dekeing up
(PRIORITYS)::JESUS CHRIST::FAMILY::DUCK HUNTING<THATS ALL I NEED
cootman
hunter

Postby Xtra_Grey » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:57 pm

most all ducks will decoy to a line or long line, except for gadwalls mostly cause they're not usually really social birds
Xtra_Grey
hunter

Postby Whatarush » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:29 am

I think they were mostly woodies. However this was my first hunt in Alabama so not sure what all species to expect. I do know that some of them that had to come right over our heads were woodies. Sounded like F 14's as they ripped a hole in the sky to get to their dekes.
Whatarush
hunter

Postby David » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:02 am

If they had a rushing sound and there were a bunch of them in a wad, they were more than likely teal.
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby ALMODUX » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:50 am

Umm, those were ringers (maybe canvasbacks or bluebills on occasion). The dekes were likely Goldeneye, bluebills, and ringers. It sounds like a buddy of mine's setup, too....but plenty of other folks do it. I doubt you were seeing massed flights of wooducks on big water....plenty there, but they just don't usually mess with a line or fly in groups. Ringers make the most noise when spilling air, but cans and bluebills can sound like a jet hitting the afterburner, too. Goldeneys are also called whistlers. They usually make a whistling sound in flight because of some wing feathers, or something. You use a line of divers backwards to the way you set up for puddlers, at least regarding the wind, and divers like to do things in flight with relation to other ducks that puddlers typically don't do. :biggrin:
Here's a thought: Let the ducks work and decoy.
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby Whatarush » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:03 am

this buddy of yours, does he have a blind boat that look like it is skinned with aluminun sides for the blind, with a smokey mud motor?
Whatarush
hunter

Postby ALMODUX » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:52 pm

nope....hard sided blinds and mudmotors do NOT mix. :biggrin:
Here's a thought: Let the ducks work and decoy.
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:21 pm

Likely Golden Eye decoys based upon the description. Check the Diver forum, many hunters use "long lines" for diver hunting.

This pic is not the best, but their heads are a dark green, and bit darker than Mallard drake heads.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting