Looking for a mentor

Discuss Alabama duck hunting and more.

Moderator: David

Looking for a mentor

Postby dixiehunter » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:57 pm

I am from Madison, AL, and I go to school at Auburn University. I am a lifelong hunter and I am very passionate about the outdoors. I have hunted deer and turkey all my life, but I have only gotten into duck hunting in the last year or two. The only problem is that I don't really have anyone to teach me what I need to know. I have a few friends that duck hunt, but I am looking for someone with a lot of experience to take me out and show me the ropes. I'm not asking for a new best bud or anything, just someone to let me tag along on a couple of hunts so that I can learn. My passion for the outdoors is only rivaled by a desire to learn and do everything that I can to the best of my ability and knowledge. I would greatly appreciate someone who would take me under their wing and teach me a thing or two. I know it is a long shot to ask for something like that, but I figured I might just get lucky. Thanks for the help, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
dixiehunter
hunter

Postby David » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:17 am

Welcome to DHC. I'm sorry I can't help you over there, but I can give you some tips.

You will need a shotgun with non-toxic shot like steel, a hunting license, a state and federal duck stamp, and a HIP card.

To hunt ducks in AL, if you don't have a private pond, you will most likely need a boat. During duck season, you can find wood ducks in many creeks off the rivers. You will just need to scout a bit when it gets closer to season. Decoys are not needed for wood ducks. Just get where they want to be.

If you hunt bigger bodies of water, learn to scout by looking at ducks on the water with binoculars rather than scaring them up and watching them fly. Enough people spooking them up like that can make them leave the area and not come back.

There is a lot more to tell, but I'll wait until someone closer to you can chime in.
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby dixiehunter » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:22 am

Thanks for the advice, but may I ask, what is an HIP card?

Like I said, I have duck hunted for a year but I only have limited and basic gear, such as waders, shotgun, camouflage. I don't have any decoys or a boat or anything like that. I do have limited access to a couple of small ponds, which I was able to shoot maybe 15 ducks off of last year, just through luck of having them light in the area I was set up in (I didn't have any decoys out and I don't know how to call).

Like I said, also, I go to school at Auburn, and there is a good population of wood ducks in Tuskegee National Forrest here. There are a couple of good sized beaver ponds where I hunted several times last season with a friend who is just getting into duck hunting like myself. However, these places get hunted pretty heavy. Out of the 5 or 6 mornings I hunted them last season, there was never less than 2 other groups out there also.

Keep the advice and recommendations coming. Thanks again!
dixiehunter
hunter

Postby David » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:57 am

dixiehunter wrote:Thanks for the advice, but may I ask, what is an HIP card?

The HIP or Harvest Information Program Card is available anywhere you buy hunting licenses. They are free, just have to answer a few questions about if you hunted birds last year.
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby REDLEG » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:19 am

david has given you some good advice. Reading your post has brought me back to the reality that not everyone had the privledge of growing up in a waterfowling family(both sides). Your are going about asking for help the right way. Just starting out get ready for alot of trial and error, especially on public grounds. The #1 thing i would advise you on is, absoulutly under any circumstance if someone takes you along, DO NOT go back to that place whether public or private, alone or with anyboby else. good luck :thumbsup:
REDLEG
hunter

Postby ALAduckhunter » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:39 pm

would like to help but these guys can furnish ducks and i got dog and 15 yr old duck caller/guide (bird cleaner)

if interested in sharing a blind send pm
ALAduckhunter
hunter

Postby LJUIV » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:06 pm

I'm from VA but I spent the 6 great years in AU. To find ducks you are going to have to work very hard. There are a couple of options for public land but like someone else said, you are going to need a boat for most. My advice to you would be, find people who have deer and turkey land and just pray there is a swamp on it. Also, find out when the DU event is and try and meet folks there. Auburn is not exactly a duck hunters paradice but if you hustle you can bust a few woodies
LJUIV
hunter

Mentoring

Postby DuckHoller » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:11 am

If you get to Madison during the holiday break I'm a call maker in Huntsville, and operate a guide service that one of my pro-staffers manages. Very reasonably priced compared to others and he knows where to find the birds. Probably can't post my website so PM me if you're interested in more information.

Duck Holler
I AM DUCK HOLLER!
DuckHoller
hunter

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting