Where to start?

Discuss Alabama duck hunting and more.

Moderator: David

Where to start?

Postby tknk84 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:49 pm

never been hunting would like to start also have four sons ready also. where to begin is the ????
tknk84
Newb

Postby tripleCBoykins » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:52 pm

:welcome:
Are you wanting to start duck hunting or just any form of Hunting?
If it's duck hunting, find a swamp and go! Study up on bird ID.
Hunt with Boykins
tripleCBoykins
hunter

Postby BamaFowler13 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:56 pm

Its gonna depend alot on where you are located. What type of environment will you be hunting? ( small creeks, river, fields). You'll definitly need some decoys ( unless you're gonna do some jump shooting) a dozen mallards always works. A descent gun with some steel shot, i use #2 shot, but it depends on what kinds of shots you're gonna take. Possibly waders, again depends on where you are hunting. A duck call is always good, but if you cant blow one dont use it you'll just scare ducks off. Obviously hunting liscence and duck stamps and maybe WMA liscence depending on where you're hunting. Oh and patience never hurts either. :thumbsup:
BamaFowler13
hunter

Postby tknk84 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:19 pm

tripleCBoykins wrote::welcome:
Are you wanting to start duck hunting or just any form of Hunting?
If it's duck hunting, find a swamp and go! Study up on bird ID.
duck or geese I need to find out places to hunt ,seasons to hunt and what is legal to hunt. i live in central Al.
tknk84
Newb

Postby Redfishrick » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:26 pm

I would go on some guided hunts first, you can learn alot from guides. And you can decide if you really like it enough to invest in hunting
Fairhope, AL
Redfishrick
hunter

Postby ALMODUX » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:58 pm

Find a boat ramp near a WMA, be there at 4:00 in the morning with your shotgun, hot coffee, buscuits, and a box or three of 3"#2s. Tell folks launching your story, and swear to never reveal where they might take you. About the 10th time you do it, somebody might take you up on it. By about the 20th, they might bring you back to the ramp, too. :thumbsup: :rofl:

J/K Just havg around and read some more. Search some posts on 'how to', etc. and you'll gain some more. Next, ask around at work, church, etc. about anyone that duck hunts. See about getting somebody to take you on some ponds or other private land shoots. Get a feel for what's involved and listen to the yarns from any that go on public ground and quiz them on what they use, how they do it, etc....but never specifically where. Bad manners. They'll offer, eventually.

I was at a ramp one time with some of my older buddies, and a teenager/young 20's hunter came up and asked us straight out where we were hunting. I told him 'on the river', hoping he'd get the hint. He didn't. He said 'Yeah, but where on the river?' My buddy promptly said, 'Preferably on top' and walked away. :lol:

That's what asking specifics will get you, on here or just about anywhere else with regards to duckhunting. Nobody can trust anyone anymore, and the ethics/common decency are missing. Show an eagerness to follow that, and folks will be glad to have you along.JMO

I'll tell anyone a whole lot more by PM than I would out here for the world to see. That doesn't mean I know all about everywhere or everything duckhunting, but I ain't liable to let on what I might, either. :tongue:
Here's a thought: Let the ducks work and decoy.
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby tripleCBoykins » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:12 am

ALMO that is some great advice!
Hunt with Boykins
tripleCBoykins
hunter

Postby tknk84 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:30 am

Redfishrick wrote:I would go on some guided hunts first, you can learn alot from guides. And you can decide if you really like it enough to invest in hunting
any reccomendations on finding a guide and location for the best possible first time experience?
tknk84
Newb

Postby Redfishrick » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:27 am

where are yo located?
Fairhope, AL
Redfishrick
hunter

Postby tknk84 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:58 pm

Redfishrick wrote:where are yo located?
birmingham area
tknk84
Newb

For Birmingham/Central AL ducks...

Postby whislinwings » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:03 am

tknk84 wrote:
Redfishrick wrote:where are yo located?
birmingham area

your best bet is to visit the Arkansas page here and get guide recommendations. If you have plenty of cash to spare I would recommend a visit to Wildlife Farms in Cascoe, AR. It's owned by Paul Bryant Jr. and is a first class operation.
whislinwings
hunter

Postby firewhatfire » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:42 am

where in te bham area are you. It will make a difference as to what kind of help someone is will to offer if you stop being vague with answers. How old are you and your kids that you are wanting to involve, what kind of guns do you currently have? do you currnetly have waders for each of you?

Phil
www.christianoutdoorsman.com

Proverbs 27:1 Boast not thyself of to morrow, for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth
firewhatfire
hunter

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting