Guntersville Hunt Report

Discuss Alabama duck hunting and more.

Moderator: David

Guntersville Hunt Report

Postby Labnerd01 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:19 am

Hunted with three others and a Guide On Saturday 12/27/08 off an Island south of South Sautee but did not kill a duck. Killed one Goose that came in with a flock I called close enough to take a whack at.

Low bird numbers, wise birds, decoy shy birds, blind shy birds prevailed.

We ended hunting around 11:00 zoomed around the lake looking at other areas nearby but not enough ducks to worry about.

Temps were mild, mid 60's, winds east southeast 7 to 10 knots, overcast with some light fog in early AM.

Any body do anything, Sunday, rained all night so we opted out though I went scouting in the Wannville area, " No Ducks There", but good many Mallards and Geese at Crow Creek NWR.

:sad:
Labnerd01
hunter

Postby David » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:12 pm

The usual, go kill wood ducks until everyone limits or they stop flying then come home. Thank goodness for wood ducks.
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby Ringneck » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:21 pm

I've only been able to hunt 5 days this season over there. Has been on 2 different trips while visiting family. In those 5 days I've taken 25 ducks and 2 geese. As you guys know it all depends on where you're at on the river. Gotta scout it hard and luckily my brother is covering that for me this year.
Ringneck
hunter

Guntersville Hunt Report

Postby Labnerd01 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:45 pm

I have been four times now.

Took two Woodies with two other guys at Mud Creek day after the big rain. One morning hunt.

Took 8 Geese two teal, gadwall and two Mallards on private pond with three others.

Took 2 Gadwalls and Mallard on Morning hunt

Saturday, took One Goose and Zeroed out on ducks. All hunts self guided and scouted except Saturday
Labnerd01
hunter

Postby Ringneck » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:50 pm

That lake will drive you crazy some years..and the added hunting pressure over the last 10-12 years has not helped any. I've been hunting over there since the late 80's and alot has changed...most for the good as far as duck numbers. I grew up in the area and was lucky enough to get to hunt it regularly when I had time. I have to rely on my brother that still lives close and past experience now on what few trips I get to make.

Bottom line is I've been lucky..very lucky.. this season to be in the right spot at the right time. All I've killed have been gadwall which is unusual for me because I primarily diver hunt.
Ringneck
hunter

Postby jwhite » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:34 pm

3 of us went for te first time Friday and Sat. Scouted and found a few birds on Friday afternoon. Set up and birds began flitering back in but landing with the coots about 150 200 yards outs. Lots of cans with a few grey ducks on Friday
Sat. same place seen lot me cans it seemed and less grey ducks. killed 2 drake ringers. Birds very call shy. birds are saying anything while sitting on the water. once you jumping them up it doesn't take long for them to filter back in. Would love to try the layout boat appraoch with about 5-6 doz. coot deeks. So 1 group hunting out of the layout on Sat but didn't talk to them to see how they did. Prolly head back up before season goes out.
Get your GREEN on!!--Echo team
jwhite
hunter

Postby killerv » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:51 pm

I've been up there on two different trips this year, been hunting south sauty mostly. Been hard hunting for us. We've killed several gadwall but nothing really to brag about, not seeing the amount of divers this year that I am used to seeing here by this time. Seeing a few cans and bufflehead and a ringneck and bluebill here and there. We are having some luck when we are scouting mid day or afternoon and decide to setup real quick in an area where a bunch of birds got up and wait for them to come back in. We've done the whole 60 coot and 1/2 dozen gadwall decoy spread but you just cant compete with a group of hundreds of coots out in the middle of the water. It's funny, you can be watching some birds fly and here a shot way off and the birds fly up another 50ft. We hooked a couple gadwall decoys up to a jerk string and had some singles and doubles come check it out. It's almost as if it might just be better finding the birds and not putting any decoys out at all. I don't know, just a little frustrated this year, you think your doing everything right and it just hasn't come together yet.

Buddy of mine hunted the greentree reservior in mud creek the other day and ran up on some hunters drinking beer and smoking weed in the duck blind.
killerv
hunter

Postby rspringer » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:15 pm

jwhite wrote:3 of us went for te first time Friday and Sat. Scouted and found a few birds on Friday afternoon. Set up and birds began flitering back in but landing with the coots about 150 200 yards outs. Lots of cans with a few grey ducks on Friday
Sat. same place seen lot me cans it seemed and less grey ducks. killed 2 drake ringers. Birds very call shy. birds are saying anything while sitting on the water. once you jumping them up it doesn't take long for them to filter back in. Would love to try the layout boat appraoch with about 5-6 doz. coot deeks. So 1 group hunting out of the layout on Sat but didn't talk to them to see how they did. Prolly head back up before season goes out.

now that was difficult to read to say the least.

We have been having pretty good sucess on the river. There are a TON of cans thats for sure. If you ever find "the birds"them you can kill them.
Last edited by rspringer on Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rspringer
hunter

Yep....

Postby whislinwings » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:30 pm

We have been having pretty good sucess on the river. There are a TON of cans thats for sure. If you ever find them you can kill them.

Kill a bunch of Cans. I'd be interested to see what the fine on a limit of Cans is this year.

:thumbsup:
whislinwings
hunter

Re: Yep....

Postby rspringer » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:41 pm

whislinwings wrote:
We have been having pretty good sucess on the river. There are a TON of cans thats for sure. If you ever find them you can kill them.

Kill a bunch of Cans. I'd be interested to see what the fine on a limit of Cans is this year.

ever find the ducks DA...
rspringer
hunter

Postby whislinwings » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:14 am

rspringer wrote:
whislinwings wrote:

Nice edit. :lol:

I have actually heard of guys killing a few Cans on G'ville this year. Evidently they didn't get the memo. :no:
whislinwings
hunter

Postby rspringer » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:00 pm

whislinwings wrote:
rspringer wrote:
whislinwings wrote:

I have actually heard of guys killing a few Cans on G'ville this year. Evidently they didn't get the memo. :no:

I actually edited the post, so that people such as yourself, don't get the wrong idea.
rspringer
hunter

Postby killerv » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:14 pm

those cans are gonna turn into pets if they keep up these closed seasons on them...hopefully be able to lay a smack down on them when we can kill'em again...I know of a person or two that "forgot" they had a can in the freezer from last year and just took them to the taxidermist. yeah right!
killerv
hunter

Postby whislinwings » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:18 pm

rspringer wrote:
whislinwings wrote:
rspringer wrote:
whislinwings wrote:

I actually edited the post, so that people such as yourself, don't get the wrong idea.

I'm glad I could help you with the mistake. Would hate for some poor newbie sap to get hammered by Game and Fish over an internet post.

:biggrin:
whislinwings
hunter

I HUNTED ALL WEEKEND

Postby RMDUCKS » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:09 pm

on the TENN river ,, had a great day fri , with a mixed bag of mallard, and bluebill . and ring neck . hunted in the rain all day sat ,, did not fare as well , but took 3 mallard , and scouted for a while .. canvas back is all over me ,, had to leave to avoid split second ,, bad decisions ...hope they open it back up ..
RMDUCKS
hunter

Alabama Duck Hunting Report

Postby Labnerd01 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:02 am

We closed out our season, hunted 01/22, 23rd at Guntersville near Scottsboro. Temps were very cold, 15 degrees at 5:00AM boat launch.

Areas around Mud Creek and Raccoon Creek were frozen up. Ducks and Coots huddling up outside ice patches, hard to get to. Hunting was tough, ducks extremely smart now.

Watched the sun set on my last evening for this season and watched what seemed to be thousands of ducks in the air, Canvasbacks every where, pitching into my spread which included only three GHG Cans in it. Since we could not shoot them we just watched the display. Was beautiful to see. Perhaps next year we will get to harvest a few of them.
Labnerd01
hunter

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting