Mud Motor vs. Outboard

Discuss Alabama duck hunting and more.

Moderator: David

Mud Motor vs. Outboard

Postby AcolemrcU » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:29 pm

I am about to buy a new rig when this season ends for next season. I am debating getting a mud motor or an outboard motor. There are some areas that I would not be able to get to without a mud motor but I have heard from some people that they are always working on them. Anyone have a preference or info? Thanks
AcolemrcU
hunter

Postby David » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 am

Take care of it and a mud motor will last. You will have to replace the prop more often, but you should expect that running through mud. Also, MMs are great for running through mud, grass and reeds. It will not run through sand or other hard bottoms.

I would suggest you buy a surface drive motor, they are a good bit faster and you will start to wish you had, if you don't.
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby AcolemrcU » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:36 am

Surface drive because of speed and handling? the only thing that kills me about them is the price, compared to longtails. Also for speed couldn't I just up the HP?
AcolemrcU
hunter

Postby David » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:12 am

Because of speed. You'll probably want to max your hp to your boats max and a surface drive will run about 1.5 times or more faster than a longtail.
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby leeawalden » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:20 am

outboard, don't waste your time on surface drive or longtail. I have a lot of friends in LA and here in AL that hate their longtails and surface drives because of them being such high maint. Unless you are a guide running that sucker everyday of the season I wouldn't bother. I just let me outboard kick up a little bit and give it just a little gas and my boat hits the bottom before the lower unit does, plus mud isn't that thick most places but I don't know where you hunt...
leeawalden
hunter

Postby AcolemrcU » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:40 pm

Lee this is Robbie
I want to keep my guns and money. You can keep the change...
AcolemrcU
hunter

Postby mud buddy marshhunter » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:21 am

I disagree. with the using a outboard over a mud motor. Where I hunt and most of my buddys hunt. Its not really the shallow water that we have problems with. Its grass. So the surface drive fixes all that. Also putting your outboard in mud just eats up waterpumps and foots.
mud buddy marshhunter
hunter

Postby David » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:36 am

Where I hunt, an outboard wouldn't work either. It all depends on your conditions.
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby AcolemrcU » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:08 am

Thanks for this imput, I think I know what I want, now part two...money
I want to keep my guns and money. You can keep the change...
AcolemrcU
hunter

Postby Marsh Maniac » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:14 pm

blah blah blah. The arguement "if you have a long tail you'll wish you had a short tail" doesn't hold much water with me. I have never been kept out of a spot that i wanted to hunt because i couldn't get there (causeway and ms sound).

Likewise, the longtail isn't near as much maintence as a regular outboard. I MIGHT give my shaft a squirt of grease everyone once ina while but that's it, aside from changing props out during mid season. Prop removal takes about 5 minutes and i've got 3 props that make a trip to godevil to be recupped once a year.

i could see an arguement between longtail vs short tail, but no contest between mud motor vs. outboard unless you're running over sand or deepwater all the time.

l
Marsh Maniac
hunter

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting