Re: Duck and goose hunting in West Central Alabama

Discuss Alabama duck hunting and more.

Moderator: David

Postby Hoosier Hillbilly » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:21 am

For various reasons I am contemplating a move to the Tuscaloosa/Birmingham region of Alabama. I enjoy both duck and goose hunting, although in my part of Indiana hunting geese has become a much more productive and enjoyable pastime in recent years. I am wondering if there is much opportunity for waterfowl hunting in West Central Alabama? Or is one better to just head toward the Mississippi delta? Also, does this part of Alabama offer much in the way of opportunities for goose hunting? I would sure hate to have to sell these 60+ Canada goose decoys I have collected along with layout blinds.

Thanks!
Hoosier Hillbilly
hunter

Postby driveby » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:47 am

Might as well sell those dekes and head to the Delta. About all you will get into over here is some swamps with wood ducks. :sad:
driveby
hunter

Postby Hoosier Hillbilly » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:55 pm

Okay, what about dove hunting? Any action on that front? Or quail? Just curious...
Hoosier Hillbilly
hunter

Postby David » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:23 am

Lots of good dove. turkey and deer hunting in Alabama. Quail has gone down hill drastically ever since fire ants arrived. Now the only good quail hunting is on the places that release them. :sad: Might be different in the north part of the state.
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby tbax » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:37 pm

i am in tuscaloosa, if you look around alot you will find a good places to hunt ducks, i would forget about geese here, there are none. on a side note, i will be in rushville for thanksgiving do you know anything about the area so far as geese go. if you do come this way look me up and i can take you on the river.
tim
tbax
hunter

Postby Hoosier Hillbilly » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:18 am

tbax wrote:i am in tuscaloosa, if you look around alot you will find a good places to hunt ducks, i would forget about geese here, there are none. on a side note, i will be in rushville for thanksgiving do you know anything about the area so far as geese go. if you do come this way look me up and i can take you on the river.
tim

Hey, tbax, this is a generous offer...and I may take you up on it at some point. The truth is that, assuming this move occurs, it will all take a while to unfold. We likely won't make any decision about whether or not we will move to Tuscaloosa until late fall, and assuming we do go any move on our part will not occur until this time next year.

I realize this is off topic a bit, but aside from hunting do you (or anyone else) have any general observations on the area as a place to live, raise a family, etc? What we know at this point is that it seems to have a small-town feel (which is good for us). We also hear that North Port is a pretty cool area. We are not total strangers to living in the South, having lived in the Raleigh-Durham area in NC for eleven years. If I am going to leave the Midwest I would rather live in the South than any other place in the country.
Hoosier Hillbilly
hunter

Postby Hoosier Hillbilly » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:25 am

driveby wrote:Might as well sell those dekes and head to the Delta. About all you will get into over here is some swamps with wood ducks. :sad:

Not to be overly stupid, but what is involved in getting a hunt in on the Delta? Are there any good public access places? Also, how far or a drive? Three hours? More?
Hoosier Hillbilly
hunter

Postby David » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:58 am

Hoosier Hillbilly wrote:Not to be overly stupid, but what is involved in getting a hunt in on the Delta? Are there any good public access places? Also, how far or a drive? Three hours? More?

Don't know about drive time, but a boat is very helpful. It's 1000s of acres, mostly covered in water and marsh, and it's nearly all public. The north half of the delta can be hunted with your standard aluminum boat without issue. You need to be careful in the southern delta. The tide can drop on you while you're waiting for daylight and leave you sitting on knee to waist deep muck that you may not be able to escape for 12 or more hours. There are a few WMA areas that can be driven to and walked in, but I've never done this so can't help you out much there. In the southern delta you will see mostly gadwalls and divers. As you move further north, you will find mostly wood ducks. You'll get a mix in between. Don't expect to see many mallards. I have yet to kill one in the delta, although I have seen them a couple times. Geese are very rare down here also, but I have killed one snow goose.
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby cupnglide » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:10 pm

I think he was talking about the MS delta: Greenwood, Greenville, Itabena, Money, etc. David, you are talking about the Mobile delta. Hoosierhillbilly, both are great waterfowling destinations, but REALLY different. I grew up in Greenwood, MS. Much of the great property is tied up in private ownership and has been for generations. There are some exceptional WMAs, but competition is fierce as you'd imagine. Mostly cypress swamps.

The Mobile delta is estuary marsh. Other guys on here can tell you more about it.

I live in Birmingham and visit T-town frequently. The Tenn-Tom waterway has some decent duck hunting. Just across the MS line, there is also good hunting near Columbus and Aberdeen MS. As always, scouting is the key.

Hang onto those Canada dekes. You can always beg permission to hunt early season geese at your local golf course!
cupnglide
hunter

Postby Griff017 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:26 pm

Hoosier Hillbilly wrote:
tbax wrote:i am in tuscaloosa, if you look around alot you will find a good places to hunt ducks, i would forget about geese here, there are none. on a side note, i will be in rushville for thanksgiving do you know anything about the area so far as geese go. if you do come this way look me up and i can take you on the river.
tim

Hey, tbax, this is a generous offer...and I may take you up on it at some point. The truth is that, assuming this move occurs, it will all take a while to unfold. We likely won't make any decision about whether or not we will move to Tuscaloosa until late fall, and assuming we do go any move on our part will not occur until this time next year.

I realize this is off topic a bit, but aside from hunting do you (or anyone else) have any general observations on the area as a place to live, raise a family, etc? What we know at this point is that it seems to have a small-town feel (which is good for us). We also hear that North Port is a pretty cool area. We are not total strangers to living in the South, having lived in the Raleigh-Durham area in NC for eleven years. If I am going to leave the Midwest I would rather live in the South than any other place in the country.

If you are living in Tuscaloosa area, Northport is the best bet for raising a family.

If you are living in Birmingham area, Mtn Brook, Vestavia, Homewood, Hoover would be my choices in order of price ranges/school systems.
Griff017
hunter

Postby bamaduckhunter » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:08 pm

I highly recommend Northport, great town. Its also not a very far drive to mississippi or arkansas to find very good duck hunting
If there dumb enough to be brought in by plastic were just doing them a favor.
bamaduckhunter
hunter

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting