Waterfowling the Aleutian chain

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Waterfowling the Aleutian chain

Postby THE TRUE WATERFOWLER » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:52 pm

Has anybody made a trip? I'm considering hooking up with a friend out of Homer, AK for a charter trip on his boat. What species can I expect to collect with such a trip?

Thanks,

TTW
Killin' and grillin' since the sixties
THE TRUE WATERFOWLER
hunter

Re: Waterfowling the Aleutian chain

Postby waldo2382 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:32 pm

Depends on how far to the Aluetians you go. That could be a LONG trip in winter time when most sea ducks are taken. I've shot mallards well into December, all three scoters, harlequins, old squaw, scaup, bufflehead and Common and Barrow's Goldeneye, common mergansers and red breasted mergansers. I have yet to get an eider. Becareful because Steller's eiders are protected. Typically the further west you go, the better the eider hunting is. I will be trying it locally around Homer since I'll have the time, resources and determination to get one locally. I'm sure they're around, but hang out in an area that is notoriously rough that time of year.
Alaskans for Global Warming

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
waldo2382
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:34 pm

Homer to the Aluetian Islands. I would guess that the cost for the boat charter would be in the $10,000 range. The trip would be over 1,000 miles RT. A cheaper option would be to fly to Cold Bay using air miles and hooking up with the "island X" guys out there.

OR fly into Old Harbour on Kodiak and hunt there with the local guide.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby THE TRUE WATERFOWLER » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:15 am

His boat will comfortably sleep 12 guys. We are looking to have a fun guys trip doing whatever we want. Crabbing and fishing in our downtime. Thanks for the help guys,

TTW
Killin' and grillin' since the sixties
THE TRUE WATERFOWLER
hunter

Postby waldo2382 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:33 pm

Just to let you know, WATCH THE WEATHER. I have worked aboard a boat that travels regularly from Homer to Kodiak and heck even to Seldovia and get the begezzus kicked out of us. The boat is 300 feet long and holds 400 people and have stayed tied to the dock. Anyway, I hope your friend has a knowledge of the different routes via Raspberry Strait, Marmot Strait, or directly from the south depending on what the weather is doing. Whale Pass and Ouzinkie Narrows can be tricky with the current too. Good luck have fun and take pictures. How far down the chain to you plan on going?
Alaskans for Global Warming

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
waldo2382
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting