Alaska duck hunt?

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Alaska duck hunt?

Postby lookn4dux » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:48 pm

I am from New Orleans, Louisiana would like to make a duck and goose hunting trip in Alaska. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction such as a reputable guide or outfitter. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks and good hunting to all of you.
lookn4dux
hunter

Re: Alaska duck hunt?

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:39 pm

Sea ducks, field hunting, geese what do you want to chase? When do you plan on coming up?
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AK Ray » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:25 pm

Those are important questions you need to answer.

Most folks that come up here from the L48 are looking for trophy sea ducks and not puddle ducks.

They either go to Valdez and hunt with Captain Tim who has guided hunts for The Swampers DVD crew a couple of times in Prince William Sound. http://www.akduckhunts.com/

Other folks go to Island X out of Cold Bay for Eiders late in the winter. They can also do "regular" duck hunts earlier in the fall and get on Black Brant. http://www.waterfowler.net/Alaska/

There is another guy operating in Cold Bay that I have just noticed this year over on the refuge.
http://www.fourflywaysoutfitters.com/

These are all trophy hunts and can cost thousands per day in some cases due to the remoteness of the area being hunted. No Motel 6 to stay in so you are at the mercy of the local economy.

The Dept of F&G has a list of waterfowl guides that folks can submitt a their name to to get listed. Most of the people on there are big game guides or outfitters and transporters that can drop you off for incedental hunting, but are not actual waterfowl guides like they have in the States. http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/hunting/waterfowl/wfguides.pdf
AK Ray
hunter

Postby lookn4dux » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:40 pm

LaRedneck wrote:Sea ducks, field hunting, geese what do you want to chase? When do you plan on coming up?

I was looking to come up next year and looking to hunt puddle ducks (mallards).
lookn4dux
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:35 pm

lookn4dux wrote:
LaRedneck wrote:Sea ducks, field hunting, geese what do you want to chase? When do you plan on coming up?

I was looking to come up next year and looking to hunt puddle ducks (mallards).

We do have plenty of mallards up here, but they are typically brown still and not at a quality for mounting. They also have been feeding on insects all summer and are a little more "ducky" tasting than birds in the states.

3,000 miles is a long way to go to shoot mallards that are not grain fed. Personally I would spend my money on a Canada hunt.

The links I posted above will get you to some cool spots and if you go to Cold Bay you can have some unique duck hunting experiences. Chasing off brown bears, pass shooting geese or shooting geese on the tundra as they come in to feed on berries, silver fishing or trophy dolly fishing after a morning shoot.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby Chen_caerulescens » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:02 am

Yeah, Cold Bay offers some great hunting with numerous options for different types of hunting. The mallards there are HUGE and mostly non-migratory. I have weighed mallards up to 5 lbs. on very accurate scales. Not all Alaska mallards are brown birds in September, most Cold Bay adult drakes are 80%+ plumed by mid Sept. You need to know where to go for consistant Mallard hunting, Pintails are more plentiful by far.
Also the best place to hunt Black Brant on the Planet, and one of the Best Canada/Cackling geese destination as well.

This hunt was around sept. 23
Chen_caerulescens
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:46 pm

Hey, put up some more Cold Bay photos and some of your recent Adak photos. You guys made it out of there safely I presume?

Some of these guys don't make it over to the Refuge too much.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby Nomeite » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:50 pm

Wow plumed mallards... lucky :sad:
Just because it is old dosen't make it a classic
Nomeite
hunter

Postby Chen_caerulescens » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:23 pm

AK Ray wrote:Hey, put up some more Cold Bay photos and some of your recent Adak photos. You guys made it out of there safely I presume?

Some of these guys don't make it over to the Refuge too much.

Okay, here are some more from Cold Bay/Izembek Lagoon

Chen_caerulescens
hunter

Postby Chen_caerulescens » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:29 pm

Back to the top
Last edited by Chen_caerulescens on Mon May 16, 2011 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chen_caerulescens
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:44 pm

:bow: One day I will get out there :thumbsup:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Fri May 14, 2010 3:03 pm

I just came across this post and I've been checking out the outfitters. You are right, they run about a grand a day. I'm on the coast of North Carolina and have no problem shooting puddlers, geese, scoters, and even Brant. but I sure would like to kill an Eider or a Harlequin. I just can't decide whether I want to spend that kind of money. Don't get me wrong, I like duck hunting as much as the next guy, but WOW!! You guys are lucky up there.

By the way, anyone have any "good" recipes for Scoters? I have a freezer full of breasts, but they are a bit "challenging" in the kitchen. :help:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby Chen_caerulescens » Thu May 20, 2010 6:43 am

$1000 per day? Where did you see that? Cold Bay trip $3300 per week(6 1/2) days.

That is $500 per day with all food and lodging included.
Last edited by Chen_caerulescens on Mon May 16, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chen_caerulescens
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:20 pm

I was adding in the transportation and misc. costs. I may have to bite the bullet and come on up! :smile:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting