Bird Report

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Bird Report

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:36 pm

Anybody kill'n any birds, been pretty quite in here?
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Bird Report

Postby OneLunG » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:27 am

I hear the killins been decent hear, but work has kept me pretty busy and I haven't been able to get out in a few weeks....
OneLunG
hunter

Postby Erich_870 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:31 am

I had to share a cool hunt from Sunday. I'd been out the past couple weeks with some friends and we were skunked both times. Since Jake will never call me to get out for sea ducks :hi: , I couldn't let that streak continue so I headed out on a solo hunt with the Marsh Rat. We've been having some serious weather here this weekend so the birds are all messed up trying to cope with high winds and snow. I found a large flock of ducks (300-350) sitting out on the flats in my favorite spot.

I walked them out and quickly set up. They headed out to open water but eventually worked their way back into my spread. They were 90% wigeon and they had no idea I was about to pop up when they were in my decoys at 30 yards. I shot my first wigeon triple and then the foot race was on to beat the eagles to my prize.

Two of the winged marauders were on the scene within 20 seconds and I had to make quite a ruckus to keep them from grabbing the two dead birds on the water The third wigeon made a break for it and the eagles turned their attention to the live meal. They swooped on it a dozen times but it would see them coming and dive under water. With the duck holding her own in this game of cat and mouse, I figured I had enough time to chase it down before the eagles could carry her off. Sure enough they broke off their attack as I neared within 15 yards.

This duck had a serious will to live. When I pulled it out of the water (still alive) it had a serious gash across it's lower abdomen and some of it's intestines were hanging out One of the eagles many swoops had partially connected. I put the poor bird out of it's misery and was happy to be victorious against those rascally eagles for once.

Here's some pics.

Erich
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment"

Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Weed Whacker Boat Motor Build
Erich_870
hunter

Postby OneLunG » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:09 pm

I dig your marsh rat....I am really thinking about buying a MoMarsh Fatboy DP for next year...

I am still hoping to get out seaducking on a sunday soon....Though I still don't have my boat....lol...
OneLunG
hunter

Postby Erich_870 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:43 pm

OneLunG wrote:I dig your marsh rat....I am really thinking about buying a MoMarsh Fatboy DP for next year...

I am still hoping to get out seaducking on a sunday soon....Though I still don't have my boat....lol...

I'll believe it when I see your boat... :lol3: :wink:

I love my Marsh Rat, you have to get yourself a marsh boat. If I had the cash I'd get a Fatboy DP in a heartbeat! :bow:

Erich

Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Erich_870
hunter

Postby OneLunG » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:54 pm

Yeah, I am probably going to sell my SeaArk after this season. Use the cash for that to buy a Fatboy DP and a 5hp Mudbuddy with it.

Then the following year me and the wife are going to get a nice 20' or 18' SeaArk so we can run up the Taku and use a cabin that we have access to...
OneLunG
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:40 pm

The flu, the dry swamp, and the typhoon rains on the one weekend I was not sick really shut down the year for me. The swamp drying up is what hurt the most. Hopefully we get lots of snow over the winter and then a normal summer and not the one we just had. We need a slow melt off an not more flooding.

Of course I could just build another boat too. There are options.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:17 pm

Well seems as though I havn't missed out on anything, just talked to my buddy and he said it's been his worst season yet. Last summer was nice but we need the rain and hopefully this late snow fall means winter will drag on a little longer.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Erich_870 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:08 pm

AK Ray wrote:The flu, the dry swamp, and the typhoon rains on the one weekend I was not sick really shut down the year for me. The swamp drying up is what hurt the most. Hopefully we get lots of snow over the winter and then a normal summer and not the one we just had. We need a slow melt off an not more flooding.

Of course I could just build another boat too. There are options.

What's the deal with your swamp going dry?? :huh:

Erich

Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Erich_870
hunter

Postby Erich_870 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:09 pm

OneLunG wrote:Yeah, I am probably going to sell my SeaArk after this season. Use the cash for that to buy a Fatboy DP and a 5hp Mudbuddy with it.

Then the following year me and the wife are going to get a nice 20' or 18' SeaArk so we can run up the Taku and use a cabin that we have access to...

Nice! :thumbsup:

What's wrong with your hull? Just want something bigger?

Erich
Erich_870
hunter

Postby OneLunG » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:16 am

Yeah pretty much wanting somthing bigger, and a stand up center console...
OneLunG
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting