what should i buy

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

what should i buy

Postby theycallmecoot » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:36 pm

Hey all. Im in the air force and currently in oklahoma. ill be heading to korea in may, and then in jun 2011 im heading to eielson AFB alaska. Im going to be buying a bunch of waterfowl gear when i get there to replace what ive got now. I need to know what i need for hunting up there since ive never hunted there before. also what different species are hunted up there. will i need a boat? layout blind? any information will help. Thanks in adavanced.
theycallmecoot
hunter

Re: what should i buy

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:36 pm

Hum, really hunting up here is no different than anywhere else. A boat is nice to have to get away from folks but to me a wheeler is a better choice. I can't really speak for the Eielson area though. I have a layout blind but use it just for geese. Haven't found any field hunting in my area. A good quality gun to take the abuse is a must have. But like I said really no difference to me. Warm cloths, lol. Species, well just about anything you can shake a stick at. I think ya'll get into better goose hunting.

Hopefully some more Eielson area cats will chime in.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AK Ray » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:42 pm

Sandhill cranes are the one spieces different that most places outside the midwest. A couple dozen decoys with more hens than drakes, good waders, warm camo, etc. Same stuff here as anywhere else. The birds are still in summer brown so everything looks like a hen for the most part.

You can hunt the Chena flood control area much like a field hunt. You will do a lot of walking since you can't drive out there. They may let people go out there on ATVs - I have not been up there in years.

As for new gear you will be paying about 5% to 10% more for things up there. If you can ship things up I would keep what you have. If they let you ship ammo then buy it outside and ship it up.

A small boat works well up there for some of the small lakes and sloughs along the big river. On the big river you will want to hook up with a local with a jet boat and hit geese on the islands and sand bars for the short migration time frame. Most goose hunting takes place during a short window of time when they are moving through in late September. If there is no food in the barely fields in Delta to hold them in the region that window can be one week long or less.

Even with the development outside of town since I lived there, there are many ATV trails around for other hunting. Plan on going spring black bear hunting at least once while up there. Go in with co workers on setting up a bait stand.

A 4WT flyrod and an ultra light spinning rod for grayling is a must.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby Sheep creek swimmer » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:21 pm

If your planning on hunting the months of september early oct purchasing decoys that are mostly hens isnt a bad idea. because the birds have just started to turn colors. Large spreads arent really needed either but a mojo i believe is something you shouldnt leave without.
Sheep creek swimmer
Newb

Postby LaRedneck » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:57 pm

+1 on the mojo, lost of people give'm flack but I never leave home without mine.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby vertical_edge_800 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:34 pm

+1 on the mostly hens and mojo as well.
Alaska has some really ugly brown mallards, and they all look like hens anyway.
2nd Battalion, 1st Marines "The Professionals"
vertical_edge_800
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting