Alaska hunting

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Alaska hunting

Postby marshstalker83 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:56 am

Hey guys I'm in the army and I've always wanted to see alaska so i put in the paperwork to come up there when I return from the deployment I'm currently on. Most likely I will be stationed near fairbanks. I am an avid hunter originally from Pennsylvania currently residing in Washington state. Just wondering about the duck hunting up there. I am all about big game hunting but I have 2 labs and I think it might break their hearts if they dont get to hunt haha. So I guess what I'm looking for is some reassurence from the locals that I'm making a good choice.
There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period. -Ted Nugent
marshstalker83
hunter

Re: Alaska hunting

Postby Chen_caerulescens » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:30 am

You should be able to find some good hunting around the fairbanks area in Sept/Oct. Get ready for a short season and some brown ducks. If you are willing to travel to the coast you can significantly extend your season.
Good Luck
Chen_caerulescens
hunter

Postby canbakchaser » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:40 pm

my uncle was stationed in fairbanks and anchorage
Special Thanks to Autumn Wings Decoys for donating the 2011-2012 Central Flyway Rambler.
canbakchaser
hunter

Postby waldo2382 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:19 am

Definately ducks around. in September. Having the toys to get to the spots is the real challenge. Usually 4 wheelers or boats to get there. Freeze up at the end of Octoberish is the end of duck season around there. Down here in Homer I'll hunt to the last day of the season and still get mallards in December...but it is in the salt water. Good luck. Lots of hunting opportunities. I'm just not that familiar with the Fairbanks area...never had to go that far.
Alaskans for Global Warming

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
waldo2382
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:26 pm

Lots of ducks and geese up there. This year the geese migration was a little off I heard and only about a week long so a lot of people missed it. All along the river corridors there are sloughs and ox-bow lakes that you can hunt. Geese, when passing through, can be taking from islands in the rivers. Need a good boat for that.

There are places in or out of town to hunt at. You will need to hook up with some locals to find them. There has been so much development since I lived there that many of my hunting spots are now subdivisions.
AK Ray
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting