How Was Your Opener?

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

How Was Your Opener?

Postby otterbfishin » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:26 pm

I had the perfect morning, low fog on the river with 200' visibility, trees looming fuzzy and disappearing beyond the closest, glassed off slough with enough current to keep the dekes moving a little, great blind in the tall grass just downstream of the set up, Tula my Lab scanning the skies and shivering in anticipation, sometimes looking at me for understanding, salmon rolling....absolutely silent. No wings overhead, no splashdowns before shooting time...nothing. A perfect morning except not a bird came by. At least the bear trail I walked in on was also unoccupied! I stayed until the fog lifted.

Was I bummed? Not a bit! Early season in my area is often a bust, but I go every chance I get anyway, and set up with the same anticipation that my Lab has. Sometimes everything clicks and I slog out in late morning with a nice limit of fat birds. Nobody else hunts around here, no shots in the distance to make me envious, no lights flashing in the dark ahead of me as I break a sweat hunking my load out to the blind. Someday it won't be this way and I know it, so I savor every morning. love duck hunting!

So, how was your opener?
Jesse
otterbfishin
hunter

Re: How Was Your Opener?

Postby vertical_edge_800 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:41 pm

I didn't get the opener but I got the 2nd day, it was slow, and I got lost in my boat because I hadn't run the rivers in years.
2nd Battalion, 1st Marines "The Professionals"
vertical_edge_800
hunter

Postby jonnyb » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:47 am

still waiting down to a month over here deeks are ready camo and gun too. working the dog harder and harder. if the silvers dont show in the next 2 weeks I will modify canoe for hunting season. Have been doing some scouting looks like a few gadwall and teal around this year
"Honey how many other women you know, Husbands get up early in the morning and spend all day laying face down in the mud to bring their wifes home a duck for dinner......"
jonnyb
hunter

Postby Alaska Gray » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:56 pm

Slow, Didn't see many people out there as in past years. Saw allot of ducks flying. Had a few buzz by me but only two came in
Ended with 2 ducks
Alaskan Bowhunters Association
Public Affairs
Gary Keller
Anchorage, AK 99502
Alaska Gray
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting