fairbanks

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

fairbanks

Postby AK Ducks » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:12 am

alright so next year I will be transfering to UAF and just wanted to know about the hunting/fishing operitunities around fairbanks my friend will have a snow machine and we all will have trucks.
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby akbrett » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:39 am

Ducks - I went to the U up there and lived in FBKS for 10yrs. There are a lot of places to go where the hunting is great that I can tell you about. It all depends on how adventurous you feel after your latest escapade. My little brother lives up there and my wife was born and raised in FBKS. Let me know what kinds of critters you are looking to go after and how long you want to go out and I'll do my best to steer you in the right direction.
akbrett
hunter

Postby AK Ducks » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:57 pm

well mostly ducks and other small game my friends and I are plannig on staying in a cabin close to the campus and I figure that we will eat everything we shoot so I want to be able to shoot something year round I've heard there's great ptarmingin hunting around. just no idea on where to go.
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:14 pm

I think the hunting is pretty good up there, atleast for big/small game....

Not shure bout the duks, cuz that is the first place they are trying to git away from when season starts.

Hope to see you up there sometime, thats where I plan to go once i finish HS :salude:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby akbrett » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:33 pm

All of the domes around town are good for P-tarms. We usually drove up Murphy Dome before daylight and hunted P-tarms at the top at daylight and then moved down the hill and shot Sharptails and Ruffed grouse. Another place to go is to drive out the old Nenana Highway to Standard Creek Rd. There are a lot of Ruffed grouse in the first few miles and then there are quite a few Spruce hens around. Rosie Creek is just down the HWY and there are a lot of Sharptails and Ruffed gouse along there with some good ponds down close to the river for ducks. The dikes on the S. side of town were always good for a "lunch break" shooting session with both ducks and Ruffed grouse.

There are some good ponds out Chena Hot Springs Rd for Ducks and grouse also with the oppertunity to catch some decent grayling. The Chatinika River is also good for grayling and I've shot quite a few ducks off of it too.

Then you can head down the Richardson - Good duck, moose, and grouse hunting on the Salch river. I always wanted to hunt the Delta Clearwater and the Shaw Creek Flats but never got around to it. I always saw quite a few ducks down there. If you have the time another thing to do is find a couple of farmers in Delta who will let you hunt the geese in their fields.

Get a canoe if you can. The U used to rent them to students and then all you need is a truck and some camo netting. The Chatinika is a good float just watch for sweepers - we hit one that stretched the entire river and sunk the canoe one year. The clearwater is also a good float and you aren't that far from Minto flats either.

If you want a late season Caribou they are occasionally close to the road up Steese Hwy and the P-tarm and grouse hunting is pretty good up that way too.

If you want specifics on any areas let me know and I'll try to help. I spent WAY too much time hunting and not enough time studing when I was there.
akbrett
hunter

Postby AK Ducks » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:08 pm

thanks brett my friend has a conoe and we both have experice with conoeing
so that should work out my dad and I might check out the U this spring (ok so mostly so we can hunt but its a good excuse)

stouff what year in high school are you that'd be cool if you went to UAF too.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:10 pm

AK Ducks wrote:stouff what year in high school are you that'd be cool if you went to UAF too.

I go to "Chugiak High Skool" its a part of the Anchorage Skool District.

I dont graduate till '07 though... so you better stay in skool :hammering: :toofunny:

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby akbrett » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:27 pm

I lived in a cabin off campus for a year - It's quite an experience sitting on the outhouse at -45F and looking at the N. Lights while you are doing your business.

One other thing to keep in mind for ducks: You can hunt areas of the Creamer's Field. Go into the Fish and Game office off of College rd and sign up before the season starts and they will give you a map of the areas in the refuge that you can hunt. There are some good ponds on the backside you can access off of Farmer's Loop, you have to hike in and they get some use but you have the advantage (classes permiting) of being able to schedule your classes so that you can hunt a day or two in the middle of the week. While you are there go over to the indoor shooting range and sign up. I shot on a bullseye pistol league in the winter and it's a nice place to shoot when it's -40F.
akbrett
hunter

Re: fairbanks

Postby cajunhunter13 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:32 am

@ ak barret i live on Ft.wainwirght any good spots for me to do some duck hunting?
cajunhunter13
Newb

Postby AK Ray » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:28 pm

cajunhunter13 wrote:@ ak barret i live on Ft.wainwirght any good spots for me to do some duck hunting?

When looking at these really old threads you need to check out the poster's profile. Brett has not been on this sight since July 2008. Wife and lots of kids have been a larger priority.

If you really want to get some good info on AK duck hunting you need to migrate to the outdoorsdirectory forums. It is an alaska based forum and all the real good info is on that site rather than here.

As for fairbanks duck hunting there are many places along the Tanana river, but you will need some boat access. There are other spots around, but seriously locals only top secrete stuff.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby MnNorseman » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:04 pm

Hey Fella's,

Thanks for allowing me to read through the threads. I am moving to Fairbanks as well from Northern Minnesota. Wife's a Geo and I can possibly get into the Mine or UAF. I appreciate the help as I know how hard it can be trusting people when it comes to leading them to possible spots. Living in MN/ND area you get a TON of people wanting to know the best spots to hunt and It's hard to try telling em to do their own work ya know, plus were not gonna tell you all the spots we've been hunting and found over the years but there are some nice fella's out there that are morally and ethically passionate bird hunters. I realize that FRBNKS is up there and as well most likely breeding area's for geese and or ducks that live up there, but I just wanted to say Thanks for the info and of course when I get up there I'd be willing to go out with some people if interested.

See you in the Spring,

Mikey and Odin
MnNorseman
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting