Greetings

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Greetings

Postby AK Ray » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:55 pm

I just found this site last week and decided to come on board. That is now 3 forums I have joined in the last year dealing with duck hunting. The fourth is open to the public (no registration required) and I have been posting there for a few years about my boat building.

Building duck boats justifies my hunting, or something to that effect. I don't have a public place to post photos to link to so that you folks can see the two boats build so far. This winter will be a third for a friend in the Valley. Still working out the design and construction modifications to fit the building materials. So Much Fun! :thumbsup:

I hunt mostly out in the Jim Creek/Lake area. This summer I will be making some trips in the Hay Flats to see what there is to see. Up the Knik sucked on my hunting days this year. Others seemed to do well during the week. Maybe an answer in that right there.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:34 pm

Ray, Glad to have ya with us :thumbsup:

And I am very curious to find out about the Jim Creek area, I tried to find a spot to to hunt there, but couldnt find anything. Mabey you could tell me what Im doin wrong.

Either way, Glad to see ya here.
-Stouff

PS- if you want to post some pics of yer boats, and are having a hard time doing it, just email them to me (remind me who you are, and where you want them, and Ill post em up fer ya :salude:
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby akbrett » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:50 pm

Welcome Ray!!

I would love to see a picture of the boats you are building/have built.

I haven't hunted out in the Jim Creek area for about 17 years now and things have definately changed since then, so I can't help much. I'd be interested to hear how things are out there though.

Brett
akbrett
hunter

Postby AK Ducks » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:55 pm

:welcome: ray a couple of my freinds spend some time on your duck boat forum I think (AKcarl and AKnick) would love to see some pics of your boats
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Pic test

Postby AK Ray » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:24 am

Here is a pic of my Sam Devlin Black Brant III, built about 4 years ago.

If it does not show up, go to the DHC photo album and then Gear section. It is posted under my site name. this is a photo of the boats first time in the water, no scratches, no mud, and no blood.

[/url]
AK Ray
hunter

Postby akbrett » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:26 pm

That's a nice lookin' boat, Ray. Just out of curiousity, how many hours does it usually take you to make a boat like that? I'd love to see some of the others.
akbrett
hunter

Varies

Postby AK Ray » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:59 pm

You spend more time thinking about it than doing it. I took a year to think about what boat design I wanted, find the best source for materials, and then built it in 5 months of every other weekend and the occassional 3 to 4 hour evening. Some builders take a year, but I would think that the total hours are about the same.

My other boat from last summer is one of the "new" surboard foam boats. They are a 4 inch thick fiberglass wrapped foam core with some sort of a wooden cockpit on top of it. Turns out to be heavier than expected, but it won't sink and it will hide in 10 inches of grass.

Currently I am working out a new construction method for a layout marsh boat. Still based on the foam core idea, but more like a sail boat layered hull than a surfboard.

Here is the link that started the foam cored boat "craze" in the states.

http://www.conservationcafe.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/49/1823.html?
AK Ray
hunter

AK Red Neck

Postby AK Ray » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:16 pm

Jim Creek.....hmmm... if you can't find a spot to hunt then you are not in the right spot!

If you have some spare coin, come to town and go to Aeromap and get an over sized air photo of the area. The latest run is from 1996 and shows some trials and such in the whole area. It was a real eye opener for me and made some of the strange bird behavior very explainable. There is a lot of water out there that can't be easily hunted or found so the birds spend their days resting and not moving once they get there.

In terms of accessing the area, it all depends on where you start at. If you have a boat then you go down Maud Rd off the Old Glenn. A few miles after the end of the paved section you will come to the parking area and boat launch over the cliff. You can go into Mud Lake and then through a "beaver damn" into Gull Lake right from the road. From Mud Lake you can go down one of the branches to Jim Creek and get to Swan Lake or the Knik River. There are all kinds of boats out there during the season. The only thing I have not seen is a jet ski.

If you are trying to come in on an ATV, then you go down the Knik river trials and before you get to where Jim Creek comes out you have to find a trail headed to the north away from the river. Eventually you will come to a large grassy area and a very muddy trail. You are now on the shore of Gull Lake. When the migration is on you may be able to walk the grassy area for ducks with a dog. It is wet and walkable without too many twisted ankles and sprained knees. The past two seasons there have been a couple of guys on that side of Gull Lake and they don't appear to have a boat so they must be coming in from the ATV trail.

The biggest problem with the area is that it is huge and people tend to bunch up which lets the ducks settle in the grassy areas and not move much during the day.
AK Ray
hunter

AK Ducks

Postby AK Ray » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:20 pm

Carl and Nick.... are you Tim? I heard about the ordeal with the boat a couple of weeks ago. Lucky guys. They need to get a better boat. You guys should look into building a sam devlin Cackler and build it as community property among the group. That way it is not too expensive using cost sharing.
AK Ray
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting