Kenai

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Kenai

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:02 pm

So, I've been looking at taking a police officer job in Kenai. I was just wondering if you guys had any info about the town. It's a long move, so I can't really go check it out. Just wondering about churches, how friendly they are, stuff that I can't find off Google Earth. Thanks guys. :thumbsup:
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Kenai

Postby AK Ray » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:58 pm

http://www.kenaichamber.org/
The Kenai Chamber of Commerce can answer some of your questions.

http://www.peninsulaclarion.com/
The local newspaper might help out as well.

Kenai is a nice town with a mix of rural and urban. There are many weekender and summer only homes down there along the river. Dipnetting season in July can keep you busy with all the anchorage folks down there working for their fish at the mouth.
The oil and gas industry in Cook Inlet is always in a state of flux so one day jobs are easy to get and the next they are gone.

Any part of the state with a rural (read cheap) aspect to it has petty crime and an increasing drug problem. The State Troopers down there are really busy.

Local politics can be a burden for the city workers.

Yes folks are nice. Maybe not when you are sporting a badge, though. Luckily most the hard cases live outside the city and are the States problem. However, they have to come town for booze and smokes sometime don't they?

There are all kinds of churches down there.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:00 pm

Thanks Ray. I think I'm going to stick here for awhile and see what pans out. If the job's still there after college and I don't get on, It'll definitely be an option.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waldo2382 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:22 am

That's in my neck of the woods. I duck hunted with a Kenai police officer that's friends with my Cordova State Trooper friend. He said it's rather mellow with crystal meth being the drug of choice and then it's mostly DUI lookout. Near Kenai is Soldotna and both are touristy towns and even in the offseason there are quite a few youngin's that risk drinking and driving.
As for recreation, there is the salmon thing, but that is only in summer. 75 miles down the road, there is Homer. More churches than bars there...also a lot more duck hunting. Kenai gets a lot colder than Homer. I've seen -30 there and 10 above in those places in the same day. The Kenai flats is popular for duck hunting...however...it's popular. Drive the 75 miles down the road and we'll take the 4 wheeler (ATV or quads to the lower 48'ers) and slay geese and puddlers in September-October or November-December, plumed out sea ducks and mallards in the salt...gotta have all the gear though and I'm not giving away all my secrets.
Also, year round fishing in Homer without having to drill through ice for fish that pull a little harder than the pan fish, bass, trout and catfish from the middle states.
If you come up here, you won't regret it. Just remember the unofficial state motto "Shoot a man for any reason, don't shoot a moose out of season."
Alaskans for Global Warming

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
waldo2382
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:50 pm

Thanks waldo! If I don't get on here and my sisters wind up going out of state for college, I'm leaning toward heading to Alaska. It's a real pretty place. Always wanted to visit. My family is taking our first, and last, cruise up there this summer for my brother's high school graduation/my early college graduation. Thanks for the info. I'm kinda kicking myself for not turning in the packet to see if they'd even accept me. It was do today. :no:

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waldo2382 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:08 pm

Ah dang, well, there is always next year. The troopers have a school in Sitka, but then you have to go wherever they want you to in the state. It would be a fun one, but I know where some end up. There are more police jobs around than Kenai, preferably somewhere with a road system for a new guy looking to call home. Homer has a police force, and Soldotna (very close to Kenai), as does Seward, then you have the big cities of the Mat-Su Valley and well, I avoid that place at all costs...just not my style. Good luck, there is always next year.
If you end up on the Kenai Peninsula, give me a shout.
Where are the stops on your cruise?
Alaskans for Global Warming

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
waldo2382
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:43 pm

Kenai was about the only place open. I think all those shows on about Alaska state troopers ruined my shot at most stuff... :no: We'll see what happens with my sisters' college and all. Right now, it's looking like I might be up there.

We're stopping in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting