Duck Hunting Forum banner

just moved in

3K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  AlaskaRedneK 
#1 ·
HELLOOOOW alaskens, i just moved up here from Georgia and love and i mean love to hunt and want to know where to go for next season. Don't have a boat yet but have a 4x4 with a eight inch lift and a 800 polaris to help get me around. Live on base so i need places close (within an hours drive) to hunt. I also want to know who has been pheasant hunting. Can't wait till ya'lls replys. :thumbsup:

#2 ·
Keep and eye on the lemon lot out at EAFB for a boat. Also keep in mind that some people who sell their stuff out there think it is solid gold rather than just the polished brass it really is.

No wild pheasents up here. You can pay $25 a bird out at the farm in Knik. I have heard it can be fun, but pricey way to spend a day. They have chukar too, but they are more like hunting quail since there are no rock cliffs to hunt them from out there.

For small game, go over to Ft Rich and get a permit. They have a good system for hunting small game and moose. No duck hunting though because they are concerned that you will head out to Eagle River Flats and get yourself killed on UXO.

Other than the local coastal refuge there is no place within an hour of EAFB to hunt ducks at. Well there is, but it is so over crowded now that an ATV trail goes into it that I stay away from it. The crazy russians, the NIMBY walk in locals, and the occassional SUV load of GIs all going for the same 200 square feet of swamp takes the fun out of it. I am not saying that GIs are bad, but I don't understand duck hunting in large squads of 6 to 8 people in a little tiny swamp that can be over crowded with just 3 people. I just don't see the fun in it.

Most duck hunting takes place a little more than an hour north of EAFB at the Palmer Hay Flats and at various spots up the Knik. You can't use your ATV on the Hay flats except in the winter if there is enough snow. (There is a newer ATV trail system at the Wasilla Creek access, but I can't justify the long drive around to it) You can use it up the Knik, but will be dealing with some completely stupid people "out for a good time." Their good time includes stealing your parked truck and driving it into the swamp. Most of the time the cars and trucks are stolen in Anchorage and driven out there, but once in a while they steel a rig parked there at the river. Ask around the base about Jim Creek and you will all sorts of doom and gloom stories. Sad thing is that most of them will be true.

From my experience most military folks are up here for the big game and the fishing, and don't hit the small game too often. At EFAB you may find more help from the civilians that the military guys.

#4 ·
:welcome:

I haven't hunted North of town in such a long time that I can't be much help that way. As Ray said, Stouff is probably best suited for that, as that is his backyard.

The hour drive is really limiting. About an hour and a half of South of EAFB is the Twenty-mile and Placer rivers. That's where I do most of my hunting.

Like everything in Alaska if you don't have the time or equipment to get off the road system you're probably gonna find yourself dealing with a bunch of other yahoos trying to utilize the same few acres. If you happen upon a boat your options will increase, but so does the time and money requirements that go with it.

Good Luck and I hope to hear more form you and the adventures you have while you are up here.
Brett

#5 ·
Well i didn't say an hour as in thats as far as ill go to hunt, what real hunter only hunts in his back yard, i just was wonder what close places there are so if i wanted a quick place to hunt after work. Hopefully stouff will replay and hook me up with some hunny holes :smile: I can rent a boat from the base so thats not really a problem. My buddy has a house down near homer and said that there are pheasants all over his place. I guess im just anxious to get out and shoot something. We just brought our newest addition home today (Mason William 9lbs 2oz 21 inches long) and can finally go huntin since i wont be worried about the wife going into labor. Once again i don't mind traveling.

#6 ·
Hey La,

Glad to have ya up here :thumbsup:

Well as far as Eielson, Im not exactly shure bout areas close to there. Havnt ventured too much farther up than talkeetna for hunting (yet :mrgreen: )

But if you even wanted to come down around the wasilla area, I know of a few places. Right now I live in Peters Creek (right in between Anc. and Wasilla).

Post up some pics of yer new fam member, or you and yer family :salude:

OH- PS, dont let my avatar worry you.... its just a temporary inside joke about Admin2, lol :toofunny:

-Stouff

------- If you have msn messenger you can add me as: alasakrednek@hotmail.com

or AIM as: alaskarednek@aol.com

or just email me at my hotmail

#8 ·
Whatever gets in the way of my gun and im based out of elmendorf not Eielson. I need to get out of the house and I have a beginer bird dog that needs some real world training. What with all the vandalizim at jims creek, i have way to money invested in my truck for some punk ass kids to dump it in a river :pissed:

P.S. when you give derections talk dumbass becasue i don't know where anything is (hunting wise) outside of anc. I have been to wasilla a couple of times

#9 ·
OHHHHHHH.....

Elmendorf.... Hell, thats right next door.

And I understand what ya mean bout jim kreek. But if you did go there, you wouldnt be leaving yer truk in a place that is that vulnerable. They have some large parkinglots w/ lots of folks in them.

But either way, I guess in "Dumass" terms, im about 20 miles north of Elmendorf.... and about 8 miles north of Eagle River.

But yeah, keep in touch. This spring/summer/next fall is gunna be alot of fun, and shure wouldnt mind seein if we could git together for sum of that. And if nothin else, helpin ya find a place to go have fun yerself.

-Stouff

#10 ·
You doing any kind a fishing or hunting right now. We have a bow range on bse that im gonna check out tommorrow. Need to find a good shooting range cause im sure some of my guns have been knocked line from the trip.

Ever since i found this site i gotten really trigger happy.

#11 ·
OH, well then. We cant let that happen.

You will absolutely love the Birchwood Recreation and Shooting Park.

They have everything from a 300 yd range to a 25 yd pistol range, to trap, skeet, and 5 stand.

To get there: Take the N. Birchwood exit off the Glenn Highway, make a left and head across the bridge. Club is located 2 1/2 miles down the road behind the Airport. Their number is: 907-688-2809

They have daily fees, or they have what I consider a SKREEMING deal. The "EPM" membership allows you to shoot during hours and after hours (0700-2200 daily) and days they are not open. It costs more upfront, but you will mostlikey git your moneys worth out of it, and it is REALLY handy when you wanna git out there when there are alot less ppl trying to sight in their guns. Ask them about it, they will be able to tell you more.

And as far as the hunting right now.... I might go out for ptarmigan and stuff. I want to go out fer coyotes and wolf, but I havnt been able to werk that out w/ my buddy. When spring rolls around, im gunna go black bear huntin. And do alot of "muddn" :mrgreen:

Hope this helps.
-Stouff

#12 ·
Thanks that what i have been waiting for, i need to get a few more thangs for my truck and ill be ready muddin, hopefully you won't get jealous over my sparkplug enhanced mud machine. :yes: i guess i need to send some pics to back it up. Never hunted ptarmigan though, would like to.

#13 ·
LAredneck said:
Thanks that what i have been waiting for, i need to get a few more thangs for my truck and ill be ready muddin, hopefully you won't get jealous over my sparkplug enhanced mud machine. :yes: i guess i need to send some pics to back it up. Never hunted ptarmigan though, would like to.
Ha ha, I will not frown opon it because it is an inferior motor :yes:

Yeah, by all means, a picture is werth a helluva lot of werds. Show us yer rigg, yer family (if you want), yerself, yer pets, gear, house, whatever. Thats a great way to introduce yourself if you want.

Just PM me if you need help posting pics.
-Stouff

#14 ·
This is a good group of folks. They have a great range, but you have to join up to use it. They have public 3D shoots a couple of times a year.

Cook Inlet Archers also has a range out in Peters Creek area.

Those boats at the Rec Center are not really condusive to real hunting in AK. They are not too bad for lakes, but they are not river boats or swamp boats.

You like ice fishing? Check out the base for their lakes. They are stocked and have some real good action in the summer using a canoe or float tube. The wildlife guys out there are top notch for info. You are sitting on some of the best outdoor rec land in the state. Public land that the Public doesn't know it has some limited access to.

And I'll confess that local location for ducks. Go to the shooting range that Stouff mentioned, then keep driving about 100 yards. Pull off to the right and park. Walk through the gravel lot away from the shooting range. Follow the ATV route. Walk on out along the ATV route. There are ponds about a half mile out where the ATV tracks stop. The "blind" you see was set up by a guy and his really old dad. You can also stop short of this area and hunt the grass or pass shoot ducks coming from the north. My only caution for this area is pay attention to the tides. If the high tide is 29 feet or higher stay out, because it will flood the area. Depending on the wind the tide could be 2 to 3 feet higher than what is listed in the tide book. The ATV route is there now because the guy and his really old dad got caught out there and were up to their chests walking out. 20 minutes was all it took to go from just fine to nearly drowned. It takes longer than 20 minutes to walk the trail back to the gravel lot.

You can also hunt small game along some the trails leading into the hills near Peters Creek. Birds and hares and a squirrel if you have the stomach for it.

#15 ·
Yea my buddy at work uses a float tube and he said last year that he hooked up on a hugh trout that litterary drug him frum one end of the lake to the other, floating really cool we ******** do that **** too, just have to watch out for the gators. Are the direction that you have there are they to peters creek?

#16 ·
Congrats' on the little one - though at 9lbs 2oz he's not exactly little. I just found out that X-mas this year was a little too good and now the first part of Duck season is going to be a little difficult for me :smile: Oh well, I've had a good time with the first I'm sure the second will be fun too.

The EPM membership out at Birchwood is definatly the way to go. It's spendy, but if you live on that side of town it is so worth the money.

#17 ·
AK Ray said:
And I'll confess that local location for ducks. Go to the shooting range that Stouff mentioned, then keep driving about 100 yards. Pull off to the right and park.
WOW :eek: I havnt met someone from here that has ever even heard of that place.

I hunt there all the time......

Its a small werld :thumbsup:

-Stouff

#18 ·
Sorry for exposing your spot to the WWW. :oops: Did you know it is the only state owned marsh land on the south side of the arm that we have acces to? If the owners of the gravel lot ever do any serious access control there could be a problem getting in. However, you could get in from Birch Lake trails. You will be on the other side of the creek and could short stop the birds coming over the trees. Fast shooting when they fall on top of you.

I went there the first time about 5 years ago with a friend that had just learned about it from the ATV guys this was a year before they almost drowned one moring. Most folks, myself included, thought it is part of the Anchorage Refuge and don't go there since they have to do more than just get out of bed, like take a test or something for the card. But it is just to the north of the cut off line so it is total public.

Unless you fly or live there you don't know it is there. I have not hunted there in three years. My buddy goes once in a while, but it takes him an hour to clean his dog afterward so it is not too often.

Now if only the Eklutna folks would open up access to their flats on the arm where the river dumps out?

Have you guys ever noticed that there are almost never birds in the grass from Eklutna to the Knik Bridge? It is all corporation property so no hunting.

#19 ·
AK Ray said:
Sorry for exposing your spot to the WWW. :oops: Did you know it is the only state owned marsh land on the south side of the arm that we have acces to? If the owners of the gravel lot ever do any serious access control there could be a problem getting in. However, you could get in from Birch Lake trails. You will be on the other side of the creek and could short stop the birds coming over the trees. Fast shooting when they fall on top of you.
Not a werry, I wouldnt mind seein some other DHC'rs out there.

And I wouldnt werry bout them closin it down.... My buddy lives right on the edge of the trees in the point where it goes back the farthest in the corner, and have NO problem gittn there that way.

Thats pretty cool that you know bout that :thumbsup:
-Stouff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.