Any squirrel hunter out there

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Any squirrel hunter out there

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:07 am

Just wonder if there are any squirrel hunters out there close by, i have a eager jack russell thats beggin to get out.
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:37 am

Oooooh ooooh oooooh, I am! lol

Now the tricky part for everyone is finding a "legal" place that isnt a tank of gas away :hammering:

Anyone have any Ideas?
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Red Squirrel

Postby AK Ray » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:05 pm

YUK absolutely YUK. :toofunny:

Our one species of tree rat is the Red squirrel, they are survival food, not table food. If you like to eat spruce needles then have at it. At UAF in the 1980's we went on a squirrel binge while grouse hunting and felt guilty about it later, so we made us some squirrel stew. The dogs wouldn't eat it. The girlfriends stopped letting us use the kitchen for a while. The only successful squirrel cooking was some spagetti sauce where we baking soda soaked the critters for a night and then slow cooked them for a day in the sauce. The dogs would eat that, but the girls had pizza while permanently revoking our kitchen access. Spruce flavored spagetti is an acquired taste.

How does your Jack Russel do in the knee deep snow?

Maybe you can run him for snow shoe hares? The population is down from what I have heard on other boards. The alder patches near Palmer on the Knik River are usually the hare place to be, but not this year.

LA, you will find that Alaska does not have the same quality of hunting as other parts of the US. Small game is very different up here.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:59 pm

Yes i know that things are different up here thats why we ask questions to find out how they are, i am just a redneck form lousiana and i have never been around this much snow or big game. I lived in nikkiski for a year when i was younger but only fished, now that i am stationed here i am using all my resorces to find out what i can do. Found out there are no turkeys up here which really stinks :thumbsdown: I do have alot of cajin in me so ill have to see if i can make these spruce squirrels taste any better. As for hares i would probably have to hunt them on my own because he would probably get tired after awhile but we might give it a shot.

Where are the alder patches?
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby akbrett » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:33 pm

Where are the alder patches?
[/quote]
:laughing: Having spent way too much cussing the alders in this country I never though I'd hear anyone ask this question.

Another place you might try for the snowshoes is down around the Placer River, South of Anchorage. I saw quite a few this year during duck season. You can't miss the alders. They are thick and about 10 feet high and the only critter that seems to REALLY have a problem getting around in them are humans. Bears and moose can really seem to move in them and the dogs do alright 'cause they are so short. Walk the riverbanks right next to the vegitation on the banks and you should be able to kick up a few hares (this applies to the areas N. of town also).

One of your best friends when looking for areas to hunt around here is the Alaska Atlas & Gazzetteer. It's got topo maps of the entire state in it for about $20. It doesn't have all the detail you need for somethings, but it lets you look at what"s around and gives you ideas of places you might like to try without spending a fortune on USGS maps.
akbrett
hunter

Not bashing you

Postby AK Ray » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:13 pm

Sorry if it came across that way. Have been up here since 1983 starting on Adak Naval Air Station and then Fairbanks for my education in alcholism and in Anchorage since 1990.

Over these years I have met lots of people come up here with their idealized verison of Alaska and had to watch them get smacked in the face with reality. Figuratively and literaly - see those alder patches.

My best hunting buddy is from Montana (seems like half of AK is from MT), and is a former trout guide there. Needless to say when he got here to be an engineer and discovered that the streets were not paved with rainbow trout like they are in MT he was very broken hearted. Then when he found out that the rainbows up here don't take dry flys very often he was even more down and out.

I remember my childhood in central NV. Cotton tails for eating. Jack rabbits for longrange shooting. Valley quail, chukar, pheasants, ducks in the desert sinks and canals, bull frog gigging in the summer, trout in the mountains, white bass and catfish in the ponds, thousands of miles of gravel roads. Deer everywhere. It was the life. Then moved to Adak where I tried to not die while waiting for the school bus (People can beocme FOD out there due to the wind). Hard change to make, but I am still here and loving it.

People have been talking about turkeys in the Mat-Su valley for years. They have been established in southern Canada now for 20 years. The problem here is the spring time is too cold and wet and there is not enough food for the poults. If there was an arctic oak that could produce some mast then there may be a chance for survival. Down near Homer those pheasants are all escapees from local pens. A few release hunts and they have managed to stay alive for a few years and grow in popluation. Since they are not a recognized game species by ADF&G there is no limit on them. Last year some guys found chukars on their house roof in the winter in Wasilla. No doubt survived from the hunting farm in Knik. There are rumors of feral hogs in Delta, but I have yet to see proof of that.
AK Ray
hunter

Squirrels

Postby Northern Stalker » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:18 am

We actually have 2 species of tree squirrels the RED and also the Northern FLying ...they are nocturnal so you probably won't see them unless it is at night. We had one eating out peanut butter that we put out for the birds.
Yes I hunt Squirrels...ever time I look out the window and see one sitting on one of my bird feeders, out comes the pellet rifle, down comes the squirrel.

-Northern Stalker
Northern Stalker
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting