Stouff's Welding

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Stouff's Welding

Postby akbrett » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:42 pm

Hey Stouff - Are you going to learn how to weld alum. in this class you're taking??
akbrett
hunter

Re: Stouff's Welding

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:45 pm

akbrett wrote:Hey Stouff - Are you going to learn how to weld alum. in this class you're taking??

Yes sir. What kinda stuff you need dun?

BTW- I am in Mr. Walsh's Welding Class at "KCC".

Lemme know if I can help ya out.
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby akbrett » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:34 pm

I've got a couple little projects I'm working on. I might need your help once I get the basic designs done. Also, how much do know about inboard motors??? I've got a buddy who has a 20 ft Duckworth Mag. jetboat that we need to get going before summer.
akbrett
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:14 am

Yeah, just tell me when you find out.

And w/ the outboard do you mean like mechanical wise? or just in general?

I know a little. But what ever i know how to do, ill do it.

Just gimme a call anytime after 1330 on weekdays, or anytime on weekends 727-8819 (cell)

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:38 am

I am a mechanic for the airforce, i work on all the snow equipment on base, i'm no inboard genious but i could help if you tell me what the problem or problems are.
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby akbrett » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:54 pm

I'm not real clear on all of the symptoms, but it seems to be a carb/fuel/timing issue and we can't get any power when you put the throttle to it.
The whole problem started when he took his boat to a mechanic to have the carb replaced last year and the guy told Chris that the main bearing for the pump also needed to be replaced.
Last year was a disaster for the boat between going to mechanic and spending $$$ to have the bearing and carb replaced (and the boat still doesn't run) he also had the trailer brakes replaced and the mechanic (a different one) didn't fill and bleed the lines when he finished. This resulted in the brakes locking up and some serious wear to the 4 brand new trailer tires.
So needless to say this year Chris would like to get to use his boat and not pay somebody out the wazoo for it to happen.
akbrett
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:17 am

Those damn shade tree macanicks.....once you start messing with the carb and internal parts, unless he really knows what he is doing, you can start having problems. Personally i would have to be there to tell you exactly what to do, but with carbs you need to check all your vaccum tubes and adj. the float. If you go on the main chat site there is a boat and motor forum try them out. Are you working on it now or waiting till spring? Did he get his brakes fixed?
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby akbrett » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:17 pm

The brakes are fixed. We spent several hours on the side of the road making sure of that. Right now we are just trying to gather all the info about the subject that we can. We need some open water to drop it in before we can really do anything. Unlike an outboard, you can't just drop it in a 55 gal drum and mess around with it.
akbrett
hunter

Postby DuffMaN » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:32 pm

I'm no genious but I know my way around an outboard. Is it 2 or 4 stroke? If the gas pump was changed, it might be a gas starvation problem from a bad pump. Another possibility is it's jetted wrong. It might be running on the fat side, you'll want to lean it out.
"I hope I don't have any drugs in the ashtray..."
-Drummond Taylor
DuffMaN
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:59 am

They don't know weather its running rich or lean cus they cant get it runnin. Just part it out and get a new in, be like the rednecks a put it your front yard, hey you might start a new trind. :thumbsup:
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:02 am

LAredneck wrote:T, be like the rednecks a put it your front yard, hey you might start a new trind. :thumbsup:

HAAH, dont give us any ideas... me and Duff will prolly do it :toofunny:
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby akbrett » Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:38 pm

Boys, boys, boys.... If it was an OUTBOARD it would be MUCH easier to deal with. He wasn't thinkin' when he bought it cause it's an inboard jet. And even more unfortunatly if I'm not mistaken it's got one of those Chevy engines in it. Some people kids just don't understand quality :umm:
akbrett
hunter

Postby akbrett » Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:40 pm

By the way -it did sit in the front yard almost all last year. It was one expensive lawn ornament. :yes:
akbrett
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:18 pm

Your callen us boys but he's the one that didn't think before he bought it hummmmmm it looking more like operator error to me. :hammering: Which is 90% of my problem at work. So don't mess with chevy/gmc
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby akbrett » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:33 pm

:smile: It gets better than that --- He's a P.E. you'd think he'd know better. :smile: Oh well, I've already shown him the error of his ways and he promised he'd take my recommendations into consideration for the next boat he purchases. 'course then he always asks where my boat is :oops:
akbrett
hunter

Postby skybust » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:05 am

akbrett
I have a 20 ft jetcraf inboard. I dont know much about motor but my old man does he has a 20ft grayling Im sure he could help you give me a call 357-4506 or at work I work the mid shift 2300 to 0900
skybust
hunter

Postby AK Ducks » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:57 pm

ok this might be compltly wrong but my friend had the same problem with his snow machine and what he had to do was change the spark plugs while I don't know anything about indboards I would say try that and see if it works.
once agin I have no idea what I'm talking about but its justan Idea.

oh yah outboards kick inboards butt every day of the week.
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby akbrett » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:54 pm

The plugs aren't the problem. We've been able to narrow it down to five possible senerios with the most likely being the second stage timing being slightly off or a fuel pressure problem (possibly a collapsing fuel line). As soon as we can get a little more open water on one of the lakes we are going to install a fuel pressure guage and check the timing. After these two simple to fix ideas things start getting a little expensive.

Skybust we may be calling you. I've got to get all my stuff shipped for my bear hunt, so we aren't going to get around to the boat 'til I get back the second week of May.

Thanks,
Brett
akbrett
hunter

Postby skybust » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:23 pm

akbrett

not a problem if you give me enough notice maybe you can bring the boat out here and I can have my dad just meet us at a lake Im sure he wouldnt mind. Also I hear you do alot of hunting at 20 mile I would like to learn that area if you can give me any advise or Ill just follow you this summer in the boat to learn the area it would be greatly appreicated. chris
skybust
hunter

Postby akbrett » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:47 am

Skybust - I'll tell you everything I know about the twentymile and it won't take more than 10 minutes. I don't have a skiff to hunt it with so most of what I know I learned trudging around. I have gone up a couple of times with the neighbor when we got his moose and we went a long ways up river. The best hunting is actually down low on the river as the ducks move back and forth between twentymile and place and portage creek. I hear the place to go (if you have a skiff) for later season ducks is around skookum creek up the placer. I'll get back to you about the boat thing in May.

Brett
akbrett
hunter

Postby skybust » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:08 am

Sounds good thanks for the info
skybust
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting