State Refuges

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

State Refuges

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:40 pm

How are the refuges here.
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby akbrett » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:11 pm

Having never hunted waterfowl outside the state I can't really give you a comparison. The only refuge I've hunted is the Anchorage Coastal Refuge. The shooting was good, but not any better or worse than I've had on the Placer or the Twentymile. Next year I'd like to get over to Goose Bay and maybe the Susitna Flats and see what that area is like. My guess is that during the weekends it's packed with Anchorage area hunters and I'll prob. end up back a few of the places I hunt where the birds aren't that thick but neither are the people.

On another note has anyone hunted or seen any numbers of birds in the PWS? I'd thought about trying to get out to Knight Island for some ducks and deer shooting next fall, but I don't know much about the bird hunting in the Sound.
akbrett
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:36 am

Can i make an assumption that Goose Bay has geese flying in, if i go while at alaska it will be my first time, i bought some calls and have been practiceing.

Well i have hunting on Lousiana, Arkansas, and Georgia's Managment areas and they are all about the same. All have rolling hills with lots of pine trees with scattered oak bottoms. Good huntin though, I just wont to find a place to hunt where im not stepping on somebodys feet, i don't care if the birds arn't just flockin in just being outdoors is all i need. Personally i think that i can call good enough to kill enough anyhow. I was hopeing to find someone on here that new of some hunny holes back in the woods that nobody knows about.
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

scouting

Postby AK Ray » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:32 pm

The Anchorage area used to have a lot of geese until the AWACS crash. (see the memorial on base) We have been killing them off in the spring through managment practices such as egg picking by the natives and gosling moves. We are now below 2000 resident birds. We used to be over 5000 and pass shooting in the Knik arm area from Goose Bay to the Hay Flats was OK. Now you may get a shot at a few birds in late September when they come through from up north. I am hoping to get in on some mudflat layout hunting this season.

Goose Bay can be reached by ATV from the road system near the airport out there. Long drive from our side of the Arm, but it is something I am thinking about for late season this coming year.

The Palmer Hay Flats is a state refuge as well. See yesterdays (thursday) Life section of the Daily News for a feel good article about it.

I have found that Google Earth has good images of the Knik Arm, NASA's World Wind has some better images in certain spots. You can use the DeLorme map book that AK Brett mentioned to get a feel for where you want to look at. The best source for info is to go to Aeromap at Merrill Field and buy enlarged air photos of the exact area you are looking at. I learned a lot about the Swan Lake area in just a few minutes of photo scouting. These photos are much more recent than anything you will find on line.

Honey Holes no one knows about. Hmmmm....we are in a town with 300,000 people and there is one road north and one road south. Anything near a road is well known by at least 500 people. The way to go about it is to find an area that is hard to get to, but not impossible (lots of lazy dudes up here). And by hard to get to I also mean it takes a long time to get there such as a 3 hour boat ride up the creek at 3am. And then get to it during a time that others are not trying to get there such as a tuesday morning. Lots of alternate work schedules up here so mondays and fridays can be just like saturdays in the states.

One morning last season, my buddy and I made it to the ramp at Mudd Lake and there was only one other truck there and one truck behind me. After launching I drove the truck back up and over the cliff to come face to face with the 20 late comers waiting for me to get out of the way. Even though we were almost the first out that morning, we got stepped on big time by those late arrivals. Not again this coming season. We will run an hour up the creek to our favorite little cove long before the late comers launch. No more quick and easy 10 mintues from the ramp spots for us, we will leave that to the other fellas who like their snooze alarms too much.

BTW - this lake and creek system (Gull/Mudd/Swan lakes and Jim Creek) will work for those REC boats at MRW as long as the water is still high enough. Your from LA so you know how to run a traditional outboard like a mud motor right? You will be right at home. :thumbsup:

If you are serious about ATV use there are some trails long the Knik that will get you to the same lakes I get to by boat. Go scouting this summer to get to know them so that you can run them in the dark. You do have a winch on that Polaris right?

If you are with the equipment maintenace group there should be a guy there that is about ready to get out of the AF. I'll probably see him on saturday morning at the DU "thank the voluteers function" at the Sheraton. He would be a good person to talk to face to face about what is up. I'll see if I can't get you some info about him.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:34 pm

I need to find out if i will be deployed this year, if not then i need to find a hunting partner so we can start scouting. This polaris will be fully equiped. I don't mind at all driving 3 hours up the river if its worth it hey who sleeps on openin weekend anyhow. Looks like i need to get out and get some info instead of yackin online. Got ta run, later
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby akbrett » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:03 pm

As long as your willing to put the time into getting out and away from the road you ought to do alright. Like Ray said, I use the Delorme maps to figure out the areas I might want to hunt. Then I go and buy the photos from Aeromap of those areas to get the "bird's eye view," and finally i use Topozone to print topomaps of the exact areas I am going to hunt. I like my moving map gps when I'm in the field, but I still find the paper map usefull for getting the big picture.
akbrett
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting