fairbanks?

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

fairbanks?

Postby jaker » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:54 pm

Got a question for you fellas. Are there any birds around fairbanks? Got a buddy that just moved up there, and I'm lookin at movin up there for a year or two once I get out of school. Really would just be moving for the scenery and duck hunting. What would an average hunt in the area be like? How many birds do yall normally see in a morning? just trying to get a feeling for what the setting would be like.

Bein from Georgia, we don't have many ducks. I'm used to havin to work my butt off to see 50 birds other than woodducks in a morning. But we work hard, and its what I love to do, and we do well for the area. Typically we kill about 500ish birds a year out of my boat, with 3 or 4 guns. I guess what I'm saying is, take my experiences in kansas for example, some of the locals say that SE kansas doesn't have anybirds, but in fact its just cuz they are from W Kansas and see 100k in a morning instead of 5k. Those same guys couldn't pull a bird out of their butt if they are only seein a few thousand in a morning. But me I get up there and I'm in hog heaven, and typically kill limits in those bad areas. So, if you would keep in mind the duckless region that I am coming from, when yall respond. thanks for the info
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Re: fairbanks?

Postby waldo2382 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:53 am

I'll be heading up there in about a week for a few days after my moose hunt is complete. The season starts September 1st and there are some areas to hunt around town. There are a ton of other areas, however access it the key...that is, having a boat to go in and get them at Minto Flats. As a disclaimer, I have not been there myself, but will be shortly. Ice up is in October so you really only get about 1.5 months of duck hunting for brown ducks as in no color plumage. Shoot 10 ducks per day, 30 possession of any "puddle duck" except canvasback. Anyway, if you wait for a little less than a month, I'll let you know first hand.
Alaskans for Global Warming

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
waldo2382
hunter

Postby jaker » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:11 pm

wow, 10 ducks a day sounds appealing, compared to 6 down here.
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:12 pm

They get 10 a day because they might only have 30 days before there are no birds once the water is solid. There are some spots well outside of Fairbanks where a fella that has good ice boating skills might be able to take a few birds all season from a spring fed area near the river, but that is just a rumor from a guy in Delta. He does not post on this forum.

After the ponds freeze in October or even late September, there is till the river south of town. It is dicey, but there are sand bars and side sloughs that hold birds. You just have to spend the time to find them.

If you have a boat with a jet or mud motor on it, bring that with you.
AK Ray
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting