Alaska duck number 2011?

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Alaska duck number 2011?

Postby Black Brant » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:43 am

Can't figure this site out, know people look on here but few responses but I'll give this a shot.

Any of you folks up in the interior or further out along the coast seeing any birds. I know Minto flats normally produces big time and I hunted around Northway back in the early 80's and saw lots of birds, my question is not cyber scouting I know how that goes. I am just wondering what kind of feeling people are getting about duck numbers, they appear low out here in Cold Bay, I know it is early but normally I see more ducks this opening weekend. The geese appear normal and the brant are looking good with good number of sub adult birds in the flocks, at least the ones I study the wings bars on.

Unless a biologist jumps on here it will all be ancecdotal but as I recall reading, when the prarie pothole region is dry the pintails over fly and end up in Alaska, then on wet years they stay further south. With all the water down south and the rapid increase in nesting pairs down there wondering if they are short stopping "our" birds. Just looking for thoughts on this.
Black Brant
hunter

Re: Alaska duck number 2011?

Postby Erich_870 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:12 pm

I know that the cacklers on the YK Delta are doing well but I don't *think* they pass through Cold Bay. The Washington guys are really into Brant so they might know the stats for this year too.

Give Dan Rosenberg at Alaska Department of Fish and Game a call at (907)267-2453. He's one of the head biologists. If he doesn't know the exact population counts for this year he can put you in touch with the right person.

You will also want to ask this question on the Alaska Outdoorsdirectory.com waterfowl forum. There are a ton of guys on right now sharing their opening day birds. It's where you'll find the most Alaskans in one place on the net. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/forumdisplay.php/39-Alaska-Waterfowl-Hunting

Erich
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment"

Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Weed Whacker Boat Motor Build
Erich_870
hunter

Re: Alaska duck number 2011?

Postby Black Brant » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:40 pm

Erich, thanks for the heads up, will check it this evening, out the door now :beer:
Black Brant
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting