curious

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

curious

Postby romeodog » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:33 am

Hey guys, just found out that after my fiance finishes up med school she might be joining a program that sends doctors to more rural areas that are in need of docs. We talked about it, and we are looking at possibly moving up to Alaska. I have never been(she has) and she absolutely loved it. I have always wanted to go up there, just never had the money. She said she would most likely want to move to Juneau. Like any duck hunter has to think about before any move, I was curious as to how the duck hunting is. Not looking for anybody's spots or anything, just in general are there a fair amount of birds and all that. I've lived in VA and SC so I'm not spoiled by large amounts of birds by any means, many a day has been spent in the blind staring at a sleeping dog. I've been trying to look up some information about the hunting up there and I have found some, but I figured why not ask the guys that know best right? Thanks for the help and time. Good luck to yall this year
romeodog
hunter

Re: curious

Postby waldo2382 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:13 pm

Ha, kind of ironic that Romeodog is thinking of Juneau. Just so you know, there is quite the controversy about a wolf that was at the Mendenhall Glacier that was named Romeo by some people. The wolf was later shot, supposedly legally, but a large outcry and memorial were made for that wolf. I haven't duck hunted in Juneau, but have been there quite a bit for work. The Mendenhall flats is available to hunt and I've seen ducks and geese there through most of the season. Since Juneau is rather isolated, especially if you don't have a boat, is pretty much one of your only choices. There are a few here that hunt that neck of the woods.
The sea duck hunting can be good, especially for scoters, but a boat is needed.
Juneau wouldn't be considered rural, they have everything a big city has, plus lots of cruise ships in summer and regular ferry service to connect throughout South East Alaska going all the way down to Prince Rupert, British Columbia and Bellingham, Washington. North bound to Haines and Skagway, then cross the Gulf of Alaska to Yakutat, Whittier, Homer, and Kodiak. Quite the hub for the ferry.
If you are comfortable with hunting the same area day after day, Juneau can be the place for you. If you'd like to have some more variety on places to hunt ducks, a place with a road system would be the place. From Fairbanks to Homer and Anchorage to Cordova (via another ferry) has good duck hunting. Access to the spots is more of an issue than anything and also the timing. Coastal areas tend to be more tidal. You CAN be in the blind right before shoot time, but if it is low tide, might as well have slept in until the tide starts to rise in a some cases. Lots of Alaska to explore and there are 3 major different parts of Alaska. South East, South Central, and North. If you go rural, remember it can be REAL rural, not like a scattered farmland in the mid west.
Alaskans for Global Warming

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
waldo2382
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:02 pm

Over the years I have conversed with a few folks that were looking at various bush nursing or doctoring programs. None of them ever came up. Two ladies found a husband and staid in the L48 after school. Others just stopped showing up on AK based forums after making a big splash. I am guessing that once they find out the hardship of bush living they loose interest. Or the competition for the positions is so much that they don't get hired and don't try to get on with other programs.

Duck hunting in Juneau can be really good once the push is on from up north. Then there is the fishing and deer hunting which can be better than the duck hunting. The job market can be really hard if you don't like serving food to tourists or politicians. Finding a place to live can be the biggest challenge if not provided by your employer.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby Black Brant » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:29 am

Romeodog, Juneau is not "rural" hell it its the state capitol. You have everything there, but it is very expensive. I have not hunted southeast but understand that it can be very good if you put in the time and effort "expense" of a boat and gear. If anyone mentions Bethel, look the other way :fingerhead:
Black Brant
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:04 pm

Black Brant wrote:If anyone mentions Bethel, look the other way

"If Alaska needed an enema they would stick it in Bethel" was stated to me way back in 1993 prior to my first trip out there. Things have not changed much. I was there for two spring breakups over the years. That is one ugly place when covered in mud.

However, the duck hunting is both fall and early summer for locals and that can be pretty good. You don't have to be native to partake of the spring subsistance, just live there permanently. Serious trophy full plumage birds in the spring. Bull sprig like you have never seen.

Not to mention the fox trapping/snaring can be out of this world.

Dealing with the alcoholism on a daily basis can be overwhelming.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby romeodog » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:51 pm

Hey guys, thanks for info. Waldo, I couldn't think of a name when I joined so just picked my company I was in at the Citadel and our mascot was the bulldog so put em together. Real originial, I know. I'll definitely keep yalls info in mind and let yall know if I end up comin up that way
romeodog
hunter

Postby Erich_870 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:25 pm

Waldo hit the nail on the head. Juneau is the state capitol and Alaska’s third largest city. We are not rural, but we are isolated. You have to come by plane or boat. There are tons of doctors here. I don't know why it would be listed on a "doctors for rural places" list.

It's expensive to live here, affordable housing is hard to find, and we get 800,000+ visitors a year off of the cruise ships. The downtown cruise district shuts down at the end of Sept and reopens the first of May.

The Mendenhall State Game Refuge holds birds the entire season, but it's crowded at times. You need a boat to get away from people and you can't hunt out the road very easily thanks to the stupid 1/4 mile rule. :no:

Are you discouraged yet?! LOL! It’s a nice place to live, but there are trade-offs like everywhere else. :beer:

Erich
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment"

Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Weed Whacker Boat Motor Build
Erich_870
hunter

Postby Jones co Ducker » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:48 pm

Dude you live in Newport News and dont have any ducks :huh: My bud from up there says theyre swarming with ducks up there right now
WTN10 wrote:Why do you assume I'm a genius? Have you ever considered that I'm average and that you're retarded?

jehler wrote: Beginning of the season cyber scouters, whiney teenage drama queens and zombie trolls take their toll.
Jones co Ducker
hunter

Postby romeodog » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:36 pm

We have decent numbers but nothin to brag about
romeodog
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting