check out this post on a boat I built last summer

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

check out this post on a boat I built last summer

Postby AK Ray » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:24 am

http://refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?p=3954034&posted=1#post3954034

I am working on another style this spring for a friend and will post up that one when it is completed. It won't be foam though.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:51 pm

Awesome lookin boat man :thumbsup: when you gonna build mine :smile:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AK Ducks » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:46 pm

after he builds mine :yes:
its very nice I want to build a big layout (two person) to sea duck hunt out of.
but that will have to wait till I'm out of college
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

boats and more boats

Postby AK Ray » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:10 pm

AK Ducks - Weren't you and the other dudes trying to do some layout hunting this past fall while the boat was sinking? At least you got the guns back. :thumbsup: Did you ever get the boat back?

In all seriousness you and those other two guys down there need to pool your resources and come up with a better boat option - college or not. Building a boat is not as hard as it seems, it just takes a little time and space. The biggest amount of money will go to the engine.

If you want a layout for two you will first need a tender boat about 20 feet long. Layouts don't tow well so they need to be carried to the spot. Lots of guys in Puget Sound use just thier skifts and some netting to look like a rock. It will work for you and be safer.

As to building someone a boat. I can help depending on my time. I am working on setting up to build one this spring with a friend in Wasilla. It will not be a foamer. If this boat works out well, I will build one for myself and probably sell the foamer.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby AK Ducks » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:55 pm

Oh that boat was a 14ft jon boat it was aluminum. and I don't plan in taking that out unless its flat calm.
my friends have built too smaller layouts (I think there call kerias) and acualy I like them its just I think we need something better suited for big water. we have seen doubles in pics and figure with three of us one in our V haul (ok our dads) as a tender and the other two doing the hunting. but now I'm goin gup north to UAF and ones' going to colorado and the other is staying in juneau so we just figured that we should wait on the big layout plan
bu tin 4 years when were all back in Juneau you'll see some sweet layout pics.
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:41 am

Dew we git first dibs on the foamer :thumbsup: I'll be here for atleast three years so i got time. I wish i had the time make one myself, i plan on huntin out of my sled this year, had to sell my boat before i came up here but i think i got it all planned out, bought some new grass and it seems comfortable when i layed down in it, well will see.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Sled?

Postby AK Ray » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:15 am

as in decoy sled? or something like that?

You may not have too much luck with that up here, but it will depend on where you find to hunt. Boats open up more area to you, but if you find an ATV spot then the sled may workout.

Consider yourself dibbed. BUT you will have to see the boat before you make up your mind. It is camo painted now, but the native grass cover stuck around the edge really makes it go away.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:05 pm

Ray, that looks good.

Some good craftsmanship right there :thumbsup:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting