Conservation Hunts

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Conservation Hunts

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:03 am

Just wonder if any of ya'll know if there is a conservation hunt coming up or have taken part in one in the past.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:34 pm

Ive never even heard of one..... what is it?

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:15 am

Come on man where have you been hideing under a rock, just kidin, they are hunts set up to lower the population of over crowded birds, they have them in canada all the time for geese and was wondering if they took place over here during the spring/summer time.

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby akbrett » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:43 am

The only Spring hunting of waterfowl that I know up here is strickly for Alaska Natives.
akbrett
hunter

Postby AK Ducks » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:13 pm

theres too much land for the ducks to get over crowded.
only conservation hunting I've heard of, is the arial wolf hunts. (moose vs. wolfs 2006)
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

spring hunts

Postby AK Ray » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:24 pm

The spring hunts are now for anyone that lives in a rural area as classified by the feds. So no matter what your ethnic background is if you lived in a village (or Bethel) you can hunt in the spring. However, if you live in Anchorage and traveled to Bethel, or village XYZ, you can't hunt because you aint a local.

I believe that this only applies to federal land like the Y-K Delta Refuge.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby akbrett » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:19 pm

I stand corrected. Either way, the answer to LA's orginal question is "No, there are no conservation hunts for waterfowl." There is a spring subsistance hunt for certain villages and their residents the rest of us have to wait 'til Sept. 1.
akbrett
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:24 am

Dad gummit, well i tried, but wait how do you speek eskimo

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

You only need to know one word of Yupik

Postby AK Ray » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:53 pm

Go out to a village to the west anywhere near Bethel and scream at the top of your lungs "I'm a gusak and I'm proud!" The white folks will stare at you in horror and the natives will start laughing.

Original meaning is "people of thunder" referencing the Russians showing up in the early 1800s with guns and cannons. Gusak is also a Russian sir name so there may be something to that as well.

In these modern times the word has a whole different meaning. Think "N" word but in Yupik and about us guys without color to our skin. It is the one word you will clearly hear spoken as you walk past the angry guys in front of the AC store in Bethel. I only had it happen a couple of times over the many trips out there.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby akbrett » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:02 pm

Better yet, try that in Koliganek or one of the other smaller villages :smile:

Ray - were you working out there or playing? (I hear the Kisaralik can be a real nice float.)
akbrett
hunter

working

Postby AK Ray » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:42 am

I spent a couple of summers and falls in Bethel with little chance to get out of town. We could hunt ptarmigan right at the site. However, it was a lot easier to just pick them up off the ground after they had killed themselves by flying into a telephone pole.

The offers of a flight out to some place to hunt or fish were always with someone that was not trustworthy. And it turned out they didn't have a pilot's liscense even though they had been flying for 15 years.

Two coworkers took a chance to go to a small river south of the Kuskokwim and fish for rainbows one summer. Turned out all wrong since the outfitter was an Anchorage business and did not know that the river was so low that you couldn't go more than a mile up river from the airport. They caught two dollies.

I tried for years to hook up with my first UAF roomate who was from Bethel, but his job with the USFWS kept him out of town too much during the fall chasing the bad guys.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby akbrett » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:11 pm

A couple of my wife's friends from UAF were from Bethel and we ended up moving out to Dillingham for 3years after she got her Master's. I never got to go up to Bethel, but I spent a lot of time hunting and fishing around Dillingham and up and down the Wood-Tikchik lake system. There is a lot of great country out there.
akbrett
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting