Spring Bug

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Spring Bug

Postby akbrett » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:34 pm

Today was beautiful day. Took the boy out to Birchwood and met up with my old man. No wind, to early for the procrastinators, we had the range to ourselves. After 30 rounds through the .300 and the groups consistanly sub 1" I am starting to get excited for April to get here.

Are any of you guys looking to go out for spring bears this year? It's getting close to that time to make sure your rifles are still sighted in.
akbrett
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:08 pm

What?

You were in my bakyard (just bout) and didnt say hey??!! :hammering:

LOL. J/K

Im gunna start gittn ready fer spring bear here soon :thumbsup:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:04 am

Well got bad but good news, I'm not going to be here this spring or summer I'm getting deployed to Iraq until sept. so the good news is i'll be back for duck season. Also good because i'll make some extra money so i can get my truck fixed the way i want it. So akbrett get a bear for me.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:06 am

LA, sorry to hear that man.... when do you ship out?

Maybe if its possible I could meet up w/ ya before ya go... take some piks :thumbsup:

Just lemme know :salude:
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:06 am

Well first off we don't "ship off" i'm in the airforce so we "fly out" :yes: but i don't leave until the end of MAY so we could arange something, u going to that expo at the sullivan, all of use could meet up there.

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby akbrett » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:34 am

Sorry to hear that LA, you are going to miss some of the best time to live in AK. I would love to meet up with you before you take off.
akbrett
hunter

great alaskan sportsmans show

Postby AK Ray » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:01 pm

This will be April 6 through that weekend at the Sully so the program for it should be in the March 26 sunday daily news. This will give anyone that wants to meet up a good map to pick a spot and a time.

I try to only go every 3 to 4 years due to the overhelming crowds, but last year with the daughter hitting the trout pond it was a little more fun than in times past. Too bad those fish are all in shock and not biting, but it is fun to watch a little kid get freaky when one of the 24 inchers swims by his bobber.

I have found that the crowds and parking are not too bad early on sunday morning since lots of folks are at church.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:12 pm

I'm sure we can figure something out, Hunter would love the trout pond. Ya'll are gonna have to remind me when its that time cuz i'm gonna be real busy from now until MAY.

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:16 pm

LAredneck wrote:I'm sure we can figure something out, Hunter would love the trout pond. Ya'll are gonna have to remind me when its that time cuz i'm gonna be real busy from now until MAY.

HAHAH!!

Speaking of the trout pond... my welding class is just finishing up MAKING that for ADFG.

I think that would be pretty kool to meet up there.
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby otterbfishin » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:34 am

I'm a newbie but have been following the forum lately. Id be up for meeting you guys. I've got a feeling I'll be the grandpa of the group though, 63 years young now. :)
Jesse
otterbfishin
hunter

Postby AK Ducks » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:46 pm

:welcome:
dang I feel bad that I'm stuck here in southeast I'd like to meet up with you all.
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:41 pm

otterbfishin :welcome: where are you located, go on the introduce ourselves topic and tell us about ya as always pics are great and AK DUCKS if you can get here by April where gonna try and meet up at the expo show, coarse that would be a drive fur ya.

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby otterbfishin » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:15 pm

I never miss the sportsmans show in Anchor town. Been goin since they started, So I'' be there and hope you guys will be there on a weekend day, cuz that's the days I have off. If you plan to meet during the week, I'll try to take a day off to meet you all. This forum is the most "relaxed" group of duck hunters Iv'e come across so far.
As far as the introduce yourself thing goes, I'll do it here right here and now:
I'm 63 years old, been in Talkeetna since May of 1973 (population of Talkeetna at that time was 75 people, we were numbers 76, 77, and 78). Staked land in the "Open to Entry" land give away at that time, built a cabin and lived in the woods for a little over a year. Then moved back to the village for the "conveniences". I've hunted ducks since I was seven years old with my Dad and brothers in Calif.
I have a 40 year old son who just returned from 2 years deployment in Afganistan, Qutar, North Africa and Iraq, and with eight years with Army Int. he opted out this year and is now contracting his services to the same unit he was working for in the Army>
Finding ducks to shoot in my area has always been slow hard work. I've worked hard over the years at locating the spots they hang out, but still slim pickens and alot of hiking to get to them. Thus I'm building a small light weight duck boat to hunt the Palmer Flats with. I'll be seeing allot of you there this September. Here's me picking a bluebill, my dog "Tula's" first retrieve.
Jesse
otterbfishin
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:55 pm

Yea where pretty layed back here mainly cuz A and A2 don't mind droping the :hammering: they keep us in line pretty well, i haven't ran across to many bad topics, we also have great MODS :thumbsup: anyhow I'll be there openin weekend, they just put me back on days so that helps out a lot. So since your the old timer now, can't wait to hear all the great stories :smile: I won't be around much this summer with me in iraq and all but come september where gonna get it on. :getdown:

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:03 pm

Hey otterbfishin!

Welcome aboard.

You and me will both be the odd men out... Im only 17, so ill be the baby :toofunny:

But yeah, Im game fer meetin up w/ everyone there.... sounds like a good AK project :thumbsup:

Again, welcome to DHC, and I hope you stick around :salude:
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby otterbfishin » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:17 pm

LaRedneck,
Take care of yourself in Iraq. I tried to tell my son Brett to be careful and not make himself a target over there, but he just said "...oh dad, I'm ok, just send me my casting rod and some luers..." So here is a pic of him with his rifle over his back fishing in the canals by one of Sadams Palaces. Caught perch like fish that he did not recognize. Didn't eat them. He bought a bike from a buddy who was just leaving and rode all over the green zone with it. His buddy's hummer was close by for a quick retreat. I wouldn't recommend it. Look forward to chasing the birds around with you this fall.
Jesse
otterbfishin
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:39 pm

otter, what service is yer son in? and what does he do?

I am thinkin bout goin in next summer (when i git out of skool)
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby akbrett » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:55 pm

Welcome Otter,

I am looking forward to meeting all of you guys at the show, I hope it works out and AK Ducks, maybe next year you can sneak down from FBKS for the show.

I have to apologize, I have been a little out of sorts with the new unexpected news and trying to get all my stuff together for my upcoming hunt. I have a feeling I will be at the show Fri, Sat, and Sun looking for deals on gear and making sure that I don't overlook anything that might be useful in Kodiak. As we get closer we'll have to start a new post and try and figure out a good time for everyone to meet up and where we want to do it.
akbrett
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:55 pm

Stouff if you would reed outerbfishin's post u'd see his son was in the army...dipstick...Outerbfishin i'm not going to be over there as long as your son was or still is but if i see a river that i can fish in then you beat i'll be askin fur my pole but i don't think there going to let us off the base due to where i'm going to be. Can't wait till SEPT.

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:03 am

LAredneck wrote:Stouff if you would reed outerbfishin's post u'd see his son was in the army...dipstick...

HAHAHA, I JUST was thinkin that as i re-read his post...

I sometimes skimm over posts. I read alot of them on here :toofunny:

Sorry.
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:11 am

Must a been thinkin bout wimmin durin speed readin class :laughing:

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting