Their Coming Back

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Their Coming Back

Postby AKcoldhunter » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:40 pm

today I saw about 200 Geese flying over :getdown: and it drove me crazy! I cant wait. Enyone see any ducks or geese coming up yet.
That dog will hunt
AKcoldhunter
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 pm

Where did you see the geese :eek: . Haven't see any of those but have been letin Drake play with some mallards here on the base. Saw a few off of mouldon near where it meet tudor but havn't been out to where i plan to hunt this season but thats about to change, plan to go out there today in fact. Gives me chills see'm fly around and watchin'm lock up to land......gives me flash back of good times. Man good things i'm gonna be away to keep my mind off of duks well a little maybe, or i'll go crazy. :yes:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:26 pm

AWWW...

Ive heard several people talk bout seein them honkers.... I havnt seen em yet :hammering:

All well..... I shud be seein them this fall :cool:
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:26 pm

AWWW...

Ive heard several people talk bout seein them honkers.... I havnt seen em yet :hammering:

All well..... I shud be seein them this fall :cool:
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby akbrett » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:01 pm

There were about 30 of them honkers sitting on a thawing pond just N. of Dowling on the New Seward this morning. I've been seeing Mallards out the wazoo the last 5 days. It seems that almost every open puddle has at least a pair on it. There were about 30 sitting in the creek where the Palmer/Wasilla Hwys split on Thursday afternoon. It's got the dog going nuts.
akbrett
hunter

Postby AKcoldhunter » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:16 pm

I took my girl friend out to kinik flats last night to see if birds were coming in to rest and saw about 80 snows, 150 Canadas, and 20 mallards.
she got some good pics of the snows flying over us low. I will scan them and post them up when i get a chance.
That dog will hunt
AKcoldhunter
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:16 pm

AKcoldhunter wrote:I took my girl friend out to kinik flats last night to see if birds were coming in to rest and saw about 80 snows, 150 Canadas, and 20 mallards.
she got some good pics of the snows flying over us low. I will scan them and post them up when i get a chance.

Sam.... whose the lucky lady, lol.?

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Yep there back!

Postby Northern Stalker » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:17 am

Up here in Fairbanks @ Creamer's Field today there was about 100 Canadas, 5 swans and a couple pairs of Specklebellys.
havn't seen any Pintails yet...should be any day.

Do you guys shoot snows in Anchorage? Havn't had anyone send me a snow to do for them from AK yet.

-Northern Stalker
Northern Stalker
hunter

Postby foggyhunt » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:22 am

hello ya'll :salude: akredneck, you caught me on the Missouri page. yep, there back. The Kenai flats are still mostly covered compared to last year but I saw snows, and lesser canada's and nice fat Pintails, Gadwall and mallards. Sure is neat to see them make the long trip back. If any of you guys lived in the lower 48 before moving to AK, it doesn't take much to really appreciate what our birds go through.

I like to think and it is true that most of our ducks go to CA and winter and to wonder if a duck was on the club i hunted 22 yrs was then wading on a pond in AK brings back many memories. Of course they could have easily camped out 20 miles east of Seattle but what a migration they run.

Nice to be here at duck hunting chat. The first week in May, will be 2 yrs that I've lived in Alaska. I grew up and in CA just about all my life; but 4 yrs in Oregon, and Duck hunted California's San Joaquin valley every year since high school where the hunting was great.

It's just me and my lab up here. I hope to get back to CA this winter for 2 months. My dad lives on a duck club and I helped him with it for 22 yrs. But not before I feel the blowing snow or driving rain. It seems every day in October, in Alaska the weather would be a perfect day for back home.

Akbrett.... :eek: Wow, that is a huge grizzly
Last edited by foggyhunt on Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Blend in or go hungry"

"who needs a reason it's duck season"
foggyhunt
hunter

Postby akbrett » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:12 pm

:welcome: Foggyhunt,

Thanks! Hopefully I'll get a shot at another one this spring. It is quite the thrill.
akbrett
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:40 pm

foggy,

Glad you stopped by.

Im shure if you didnt have anyone to hunt with.... there are plenty of folks on here that would love to have ya come w/ this next season!

BTW- where do you live now?

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby foggyhunt » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:56 pm

hey redddddneck, :toofunny: yurr a crack up bud! :mrgreen: cool pic, I've thought of moving out of here but the Kenai keeps me. However living in AK where the hunting is better than over here is an option. Once I get into a boat again, I would consider having it all again. :cool:
"Blend in or go hungry"

"who needs a reason it's duck season"
foggyhunt
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:42 am

Man i wish i had a camera but i was visiting some friends in palmer and saw about 1000 :eek: geese in the field across form the golf coarse.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AKcoldhunter » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:34 am

I stopped buy the Duck Pond in Eagle River to day and saw probably 15 or so geese and 7 of they were banded(I got really excited I think some people there might have thought I was a CRAZY) I dont know if the bands travel together now but I want to find them this fall :salude:
Last edited by AKcoldhunter on Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
That dog will hunt
AKcoldhunter
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:23 pm

AKcoldhunter wrote: I dont know if the bands travel together now but I want to them this fall :salude:

:withstupid:

You said that right! :getdown:
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting