Skybusts Boat?

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Skybusts Boat?

Postby otterbfishin » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:44 am

Ak Ray and Skybust,
How's the modified hybrid coming? I'm very interested in your progress. I would love to see it when you get the decks and glass on it. Could you post your pics on this forum"?
Jesse
otterbfishin
hunter

Postby skybust » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:36 am

jesse its coming along nice taken longer because of family and work things that came up. I glassed in the inside on Sat going to doe the finaly coat on Frid. Ray is coming out on Sat. The next step is to turn the boat up side down and cut the twist ties and then sand the edges. I think Ill waite for Ray on that because the plastic zips are harder than the wood and I dont want to sand through the boat. Im having problems posting pics says it can't post PPD pic not sure what that means Ill see if Ray can post some chris
skybust
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:50 am

I'll be taking some more photos this saturday and posting up.

I store them on line at photobucket which gives you three styles of link text to copy and paste into a forum message. Choosing the right style of link text means that you don't have to do any of the tagging yourself.

Here is what the boat looked like the last time I saw it. Since this photo was taken the filletted joints have been sanded and the whole inside of the boat has had a layer of glass cloth and epoxy installed. There is more work to do on the inside, but we need to get the outside of the hull done first.

Here is a photo of the boat dry assembled with the frame prior to the bow being completed.

Eventually there will be a full "how to" posting on the forum at duckboats.net, at the refuge, and here.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:42 pm

Hey man, thats really comin along :salude:

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Skybust and Ray,

Postby otterbfishin » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:30 pm

Cool !! Thanks for following through on the construction process. I hope I can actually touch it when it's done. My summer project, "Teal" a 10' X 5' sneak boat is to be built in a similiar fashion with the same materials. Actually "feeling" your finished product will help me a bunch in finishing the construction plans on my boat. I want to know how much the 3mm deflects when loaded per pound, etc., and how much the whole thing will weigh when completed. I think I can calculate this based upon your finished product. You guys OK with me taking a personal look at it?
Thanks,
Jesse
otterbfishin
hunter

Postby skybust » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:51 am

Jesse I have no problem if you want to come out your more than welcome to come on Sat if you like Rays going to be out at 1pm give me a call if you want to come out. 357-4506
skybust
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:41 am

The deflection does have me worried a little. The 3mm is the floppiest stuff ever. I have used 4mm before and it acts like thin 1/4" ACX plywood but is just a little more bendable. The 3mm is like using really stiff cardboard. But it is not nearly as floppy as doorskin luan material.

When we get the inside and outside glassed with the 6oz biax we will see just how much deflection it has. If I don't feel good about it, I have enough left over cloth that we can add another layer in to stiffen it up.

Also the original designer never used keels and complains of poor towing ablility for all the boats, and "oil canning" on all the thin skinned boats. This boat will have two keels to stiffen the floor bow to stem and we will see just how much that helps.

Jesse, you are "just up the road" from Chris so it won't be too bad a drive for you. Look forward to meeting you.

Ray
AK Ray
hunter

Postby skybust » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:47 pm

Ray talked to Jesse today he is going to come out on Saturday. Everything is done except for snipping the zips I didn't feel good about doing it thought I might sand to much and put a hole in the boat. Look forward to Sat chris
skybust
hunter

Skybusts Boat

Postby otterbfishin » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:02 pm

Ray and Skybust,
I look forward to meeting you guys too. Regarding the thin skin deflection issue: In the late eighties I built a 12 foot lapstrake duck boat skiff out of Birch/Mahogany 3mm door skins. I constructed a red cedar stick frame with the sticks on 4 inch centers on the bottom. The lapstrake sides overlapped 1/2" on each strake adding stiffness to them. The entire hull was then covered with 6 oz cloth and epoxy. The end result was a surprisingly stiff hull with almost no deflection. It would easily plane with a 4 hp outboard and rowed like a dream. Because the hull was so "pretty" with the epoxy covering it, I allowed my wife and others to talk me into finishing it bright instead of OD Duck brown. The result of this was that I hardly ever used it for fear of damaging the expensive two part varnish I put over the hull. I ended up trading it to a friend who "HAD TO HAVE IT!" for a 10 foot aluminum skiff that was a much more utilitarian hull, and I have enjoyed using it for these many years. It does not plane with the 4 horse like the wood boat did, so I'm still looking for a 10 or 15 for it. I'll bring pictures of the construction process of the cedar/doorskin boat for you to see. Might solve the deflection problem. I'll also bring the drawings of my summer duckboat project, "Teal", for your input on it's design. No time like the design phase for the bugs to be worked out!
Thanks,
Jesse
otterbfishin
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting