greetings...

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

greetings...

Postby foggyhunt » Mon May 01, 2006 8:43 pm

I'm Dan, and thought I would introduce myself on this duck hunting forum. It will be 2 yrs being in AK later this week. I'm 50 and it's just me and my lab up here.

Until I find myself back into a boat, I don't really have a good enough reason to live on the Kenai; especially come duck season. I haven't visited anywhere above Anchorage except for the drive through when I moved here and I just stayed on the highways. I've often thought about moving elsewhere in alaska if I can find the duck hunting to be better than over in Kenai. Is there anyone who usually kills 100 ducks a year up here? Where I have to hunt along the kenai flats I have to pack decoys and gear and walk it a mile. I don't do that anymore with 50 lbs of crap on my back.

I've thought about moving to the eagle river area or the mat-su valley. I would really appreciate it if some of you can tell me what could I expect over in your area? I also heard that Delta J. is great for ducks and geese but seems that delta j. might be a place that's too far for any good river king fishing. I could have gone for goose a few times but wasn't up for the 10 hr drive. if anyone cared to share with me how you did last season, feel free to send me a pm or email whatever.
Thanks.
Last edited by foggyhunt on Tue May 02, 2006 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Blend in or go hungry"

"who needs a reason it's duck season"
foggyhunt
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon May 01, 2006 9:07 pm

Dan, would you need a job, or are you retired? Cuz that plays a roll in it :thumbsup:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby foggyhunt » Tue May 02, 2006 12:21 am

as it stands, i wouldn't need a job if I moved. i'm able to hunt all season long. Every day. If the right job came along it would have to be at least 11 per hr. I would take it
"Blend in or go hungry"

foggyhunt
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Tue May 02, 2006 10:39 am

Hey Dan, 100 duck seasons up here depend on your time in the field and your luck in being where the birds want to be that day. Nothing like the Central Valley since AK is one huge swamp where the birds can be anywhere they want to be.

Fairbanks would not be too bad a place to try for a while. The hunting is good but the season is short. Good jobs for skilled workers. However, the winter can wear you out.

Delta is good for hunting, but might not be that great for jobs unless you already had an "in" with the oil folks and worked else where. Then again if you are a missle tech there may be something for you at Ft. Greeley.

The Mat-Su is filled with jobs, birds, and fish. There are places where you can walk a mile in the swamp to hunt, but the rest of us use boats. There are two main areas in the Knik Valley with road access, but the larger area across the Inlet is plane or big boat only.

Come up this fall for a weekend and I am sure folks here will be able to meet up and take you out.

If you are still looking at a boat, get with akduse on your other post and check out the other one he is helping sell. There are some options about that boat that you need to talk about.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby foggyhunt » Tue May 02, 2006 12:51 pm

Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:39 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Dan, 100 duck seasons up here depend on your time in the field and your luck in being where the birds want to be that day. Nothing like the Central Valley since AK is one huge swamp where the birds can be anywhere they want to be.

yeah that's the way I've always felt. So much water they could be anywhere. I'm not complaining because if I hunted harder I know I would be killing more ducks for the dog. I didn't hunt much last year. I'll be back to the central valley this fall but thinking I'd be happier over in Eagle River or Mat-SU. I rather fly fish for kings in clear water than glacial over here. More city life and doings is which I miss too. I think you guys live in the best place but then the mighty Kenai is special.
"Blend in or go hungry"

foggyhunt
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting