what waterfowl jacket do you wear

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

what waterfowl jacket do you wear

Postby foggyhunt » Wed May 24, 2006 1:02 pm

i've been in ak 2 yrs and where i hunted in the lower 48 i used a wader length 4-in 1 because of deeper water. Have noticed I think it would be a bit warmer with a regular parka that covers my "cullo" "rear end in Italian...

With the wind, and rain I think a reg. parka would be good, cabela's has them on sale. Anybody use a 3/4 length parka? Seems those things could get a bit messy sitting in a blind touching the mud etc...or how bout walking? anyone have problems with mobility with them?

Long live Pintails.... :yes:
"Blend in or go hungry"

"who needs a reason it's duck season"
foggyhunt
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Wed May 24, 2006 3:05 pm

I have only been using the old Widgeon from Columbia in wader length. I don't like sitting on the coat because that ends up preventing turning sometimes. The Widgeon leaks like a paper bag when the collar is up. Not much good.

I spent most of last year in my Drake fleece sweater and didn't wear the rain coat much.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Wed May 24, 2006 7:40 pm

AK Ray if you contact columbia about that jacket they may replace it. Last season on of the guys I hunt with wearing an old wigeon(mossy oak treestand old) jacket. His jacket was leaking in the same spot. After talking with columbia on the phone he got his choice of a new one in max 4 or break up. His jacket was at least ten years old. It surprised the hell outta me that they did that. But If it worked for him, maybe for you. Image
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Thu May 25, 2006 12:03 am

Columbia Omni-tech....

Max 4 all the way :getdown:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby foggyhunt » Thu May 25, 2006 2:11 am

i used the columbia widgeon about 10 yrs ago. leaked on the first down pour and never bought from them again. I stick with Cabela's, and you'll get more features and pay less price. When Columbia was putting out their widegon jacket yrs ago, Cabela's was putting out the same type tacket only with a beard guard fleece for the inner liner and the insides of the hood. I don't think columbia was doing that at that time. Plus, I got one of them inside security pockets which is good place for a hanky or paper towel to clean off the sunglasses. columbia didn't. Although I don't wear a beard, it feels much nicer against the skin than the nylon from the widgeon.
"Blend in or go hungry"

foggyhunt
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Thu May 25, 2006 12:09 pm

Sounds like I need to call them and get some new duds. This coat is only 6 years old but it has leaked on the hood since day one.

Thanks for the info.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Fri May 26, 2006 11:52 pm

Figured it would be worth a try if nothing else. I guess I just have good luck. I am a foul weather hunter and my columbia has never failed me. I would not own another jacket.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby foggyhunt » Sat May 27, 2006 2:44 pm

oops! hold on....bases are loaded with Albert Pujols up.

Stl Cardinals....

oh geez, popped it straight up to the catcher.
Rolen is hot

when i sent my jacket back to columbia, i was really missing my liner with the mossy oak. lots of memories as I wore that by itself often around town and sometimes hunting. I called them up asking if I could just have my liner back for that very reason and they did, with a new jacket. Good customer service. I just think you get more features with a cabela's coat. Also, in the cabela's 4 in 1 they give you an extra pocket near the zipper. it's a great place to put a compact digital camera. Maybe I should go work for cabela's.... :welcome: smack a roo....very nice duck by the way, with that pink head. my....what kind of duck is that? :hammering:
"Blend in or go hungry"

foggyhunt
hunter

Postby WesternHunter » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:23 pm

Wet or expecting bad snowy weather: Cabelas Gore-Tex insulated 150grams thinsulate wading jacket. Advantage Wetlands camo pattern. Layer this baby with a Woolrich camo polarfleece Andes jacket.

Dry cold weather: Woolrich Camwoolflage camo hooded wool parka layered with the same camwoolflage camo polarfleece Andes jacket.
WesternHunter
hunter

Postby OneLunG » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:22 pm

Rivers West Wader jacket in Max-4 camo.
OneLunG
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:03 pm

Herters wading parka. Has zip-out liner and is very very warm......Max4, what else?? :thumbsup:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby akbrett » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:50 pm

Same as OneLung:

Rivers West Wading Jacket in Max-4.
akbrett
hunter

Postby OneLunG » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:01 pm

Its very nice, isnt it brett? :)
OneLunG
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:24 pm

Hope to get one of those jackets for christmas, right now i'm just useing a browning down jacket, warm but not water proof :thumbsdown: but hasn't been wet and cold enough for me to head out early yet:yes:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby akbrett » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:42 pm

I LOVE it! I actually have two Rivers West jackets now and a pair of the pants and can't say enough good things about them.
akbrett
hunter

Postby otterbfishin » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:39 pm

I bought the Herters 4 in 1 two years ago from Cabelas. I like the camo and the general design of the set up, but I have one big complaint; the moisture from my body wicks out to the outer shell of the parka which is nylon lined. It gets soaking wet if I have to hike or excercise in it, even a little

Is this the only one that gets wet like that, or do they all do it?

I used to just wear my gortex rain gear under light weight camo shirt and pants. That worked great until it rained alot, then the shirt and pants would get heavy.
otterbfishin
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting