ever feel like......

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

ever feel like......

Postby foggyhunt » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:07 am

you know, right about now, I am so upset that I don't even know how or why I'm writing this. Maybe to vent and for you guys to try to cheer me up but believe me, if it were not for me having my 10 yr old lab sarah.....man i am telling....

well you know it's the old adage....you can't trust anyone now days and some people will lie, cheat and steel from a man if your not savy enough. Before I bought the boat from this guy I asked him if the motor was legal for the Kenai being I saw the 35hp sticker on it. He said oh yeah, no problem. He never did come clean about where he bought the motor when I first met him at the boat 2 weeks ago.

Well, the guy is a no good rotten liar and I called him last night and he listened to me and didn't hang up which I was surprised. After he played the stupid I don't know what your talking about game 3 times I figured he had no respect for his fellow man at all. Over the weekend I had to have a park ranger rescue me on the river because of some water seperator/motor problems that I was not keen on. He tied my boat to his and we floated on down to the dock where he showed me some tips on the situation. Then he helped me get my boat onto the trailer and when the boat was parked up top he took a look at my cam and also gave me more tips.

He said that he wasn't going to write me up because i already had enough trouble for the day but that if he sees me on the river again, he'll check me. He was a class guy very professional about it the entire situation.

So, yesturday River & Sea told me they don't make a de-tuned kit for a 2000 40 TLRY oil injected 2 stroke but that's just what they said. I called another mechanic and he said any motor is detunable if it's under 50hp. I'll find out the scoop from my local mechanic.

I know most of you wouldn't say on here what you would really feel like doing about the situation but basically, if a guy lied to me which I know he did and he got 5,500 and i got a motor that i can't even legally take on the river. I'm more than just upset. I feel like after talking with him and his I don't know what your talking about crap that he really doesn't give a rip about anybody and that he thinks he's going to get away with it? If it were not for my black lab I would have told him differently.

For 5 minutes, he just acted like he didn't know what I was talking about when he was the one who said he bought a 20' northriver and that he likes being on the water when he took the boat for a test drive with me that day. oh yeah, really likes being on the river but he'll cheat the next guy he can to survive! I told him just that. And that he knows damn ^&^%&&*&* well know what I'm talking about. I told him he's not getting away with it and that he either gives me my money back or makes it right with the motor. He said what are you going to do and called me by my name. I told him he has 10 days to make it right or I'm coming after him and hung the phone up.

God help me, if i don't get back on the river legally. I have no money to buy a motor. Some other guy sold me 93 suburban and lied to me about that. It has a cracked manifold and the "surpentene" belt pully on this gas guzzler 2500 chevy suburban that I NEVER SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT also is cracked and if it goes, I'll lose all power. How sweet.

I'm just not used to being in the position of buying used vehicles and the first time I do I get burnt bad.
Last edited by foggyhunt on Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Blend in or go hungry"

"who needs a reason it's duck season"
foggyhunt
hunter

Postby skybust » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:21 am

I would been more than just p---ed off. Its just to bad that some people just cant be honest about things. I think I would take him to small claims court and sue but you have to be able to prove he new it wasnt legal and thats going to be hard to due. But you have every right to be upset. Chris
skybust
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:25 am

Foggy, there are a lot of boats in your area that do not have legal motors on them. It has been going on for a long time. Only in the last few years have F&G and other LEOs been working at getting people into compliance. No more will having just a cowling with a 35 hp sticker on the side get you buy. The LEOs have their books now and are well ahead of the common man when it comes to motor type.

A lot of people are trying to off load their old gear to those that don't know the decades long story of the Kenai motor rules and how they have been bypassed for years. You got suckered in this deal.

The best thing to do is give him the boat back for a full refund including all regestration fees for the trailer title and/or boat.

If you want to keep it then look into the just this week announced program for a $500 "grant" from the feds and native corporation towards the purchase of a new 4-stroke 50/35. I understand that you don't have the coin, but you may be able to finance it. With the prices of new motors these days it is about the only way to swing it.

And used cars in AK are a big problem. Any used car up here is going to take mechanical work right after you buy it. You just can't get away from this fact. Buyer Beware on everything that has a motor up here.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:39 pm

Foggy...

Im super sorry to hear that!

What a Jackass :pissed:

But will someone enlighten me... why isnt the motor legal? I thought a boat motor in AK was a boat motor :help:

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby foggyhunt » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:22 pm

i found out yesturday that yes, indeed Deweys has the part I need but they will not ship the part to certain dealers. It's a hard part to come by and there are some former legal wranglings between them and a local dealer near me so I have to take my motor to anc. and I no longer have reliable transportation.

I was going to take Homer stage for 60 bucks and would have been back by now but got a last minute call from some guy in soldotna who said he will get that part for me. I told him no way, they won't give it to you because it has to be installed by a licensed yamaha dealer or risk being fined 10k. I told them I already h ave the sticker but they said, we won't mail it. They would have mailed it to an outboard mechanic over here but because I called to see if they had the part, the mechanic called me saying i blew it being I called.

i.e. .....deweys full of fear that I may tell who installed the damn thing. a bunch of b.s. i'll never buy anything from them. I heard you have to have a certain type of sticker and only dealers can give it, so maybe they just need to protect themselves but if the cam is on the motor what river patrol person is going to throw a fit about a sticker? I've heard some will and have. It is those kind of people who need to be working in some office in stay there.

I didn't hear from this guy today who was supposed to be back from anchorage with my motor cam. If he doesn't have it, i'm going to be pissed because I was going to get my motor up there but the guy flew to anchorage for business. I have to find a good job so I can buy me good transportation again.
"Blend in or go hungry"

foggyhunt
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:37 pm

Just stopped by the good ol' Alaska forum again and stumbled upon this..

Sorry to hear that you have to go through all of this foggy :thumbsdown:
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby AK Ray » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:40 pm

Stouf, the Kenai has a HP restriction on all but the mouth of the river. The river gets hammered by thousands of boats during the summer and the higher HP motors (in theory) built up too big of a wake and those waves were creating too much damage to the river bank habitat, and making it unsafe for the guys in the little boats. The Powers that Be decided many many years ago that placing a restriction on the size of motors to be used on the river would make it safer for all the boaters and save the river banks.

As soon as the restrictions were in place people started finding ways to get around them. The easiest one was to get a cowling for your motor that said it was 35 HP. Many 1980's era outboards between 30 and 50 HP are all the same size so a cowling from a 35HP will fit a 50HP. There were a lot of really fast boats with only 35HP motors on them. It didn't take F&G long to notice this.

At some point in the last 5 years F&G has collected technical info from the manufacturers about the motors and what makes a 50HP power head only a 35HP motor. Most of the HP variation in outboards is adjusted by carberation and not bore and stroke changes - there is no room in the power head to deal with bore and stroke changes. So you can get a 50HP power head and dumb it down to 35HP just by having a throttle cam replaced. This gives you more low end power, but takes all your top end speed away.

An unscrupelous dealer or mechanic could get a 50HP cam and install it on a motor that already has its certification as a 35HP motor and the game will continue. Foggies' issue appears to be just this. At some point the motor's throttle cam was replaced allowing it to go above 35HP and the certification sticker was left on the motor. Foggy needs that 35HP cam from the dealer, but they are freaking on him. And because of the decades of abuse by the local mechanics dealers are leary of dealing with anyone they don't know. The liability for this stuff goes far, but most of it is just paranoia.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby foggyhunt » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:32 am

I thank God, I ran into my taxidermist friend at trustworthy hardware and he turned me onto a mechanic that the guide fleet uses. he had the cam and it says 35 on it. WHHEEEW am so stoked to be free again. That was his last throttle cam and I found a good outboard motor mechanic. I had him take a look the spark plugs and he said the motor was so unused that it still had the factory plugs in it from the paint. Motor is a 2000 and the plugs were good for the rest of the year. Basically I got a brand new motor. 2-strokes burn much more gas especially when backtrolling for 8 hrs. Fishing has been pretty lousy for a lot of guides and private boaters but should pick up with the next tides. You guys only have 2 more weeks. Any of you guys are welcome to fish with me. I'm able to fish 7 days a week. Then I'm going to go out and get a job.
"Blend in or go hungry"

foggyhunt
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting