AK Mudfest?

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

AK Mudfest?

Postby AK Ray » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:40 am

Now that summer is here and we are neck deep in work before winter hits again are we all too busy to take akduse's and skybust boats out and get festive? :thumbsup:

August is going to be way too busy for me to make any firm plans, but this July is pretty much wide open.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:31 pm

If I can, Im soooo in.

:salude:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby skybust » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:54 am

How does Friday the 28 go to the cabin at Jim Creek and come back some time saturday the 29 of july. Everyone bring a boat plus those who want to run the prodrive Ill have mind. Ill talk to shannon see what he thinks. Ray Im going to oder the epoxy this weekend is all of august no good for you. Need to finish the boat. chris.
skybust
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:19 pm

Chris, I'll be in and out of town through out August, but I should be able to spend a day helping to finish the boat. You should go ahead and work on sanding back all the plywood decking that is hanging over the edge. If you get that done we can get the remaining glassing done in one afternoon. You will then just need to do the fill in coat of epoxy, let it cure, then sand it and paint it. As to the blind doors if you run out of time you may just want to get some camo burlap and use that as a blanket over you as you sit in it.

I will have Mallory the w/e of the 28th so that could be a fun camp out thing for her to do. I will be heading off to a site for a week on the 30th or the 1st right after that w/e. I'll should be in town for a week before heading out for two weeks to another site in mid August.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby skybust » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:31 am

Sounds great shannon said he should be able to make it also. I might just bring the whole family that way your daughter will have someone to play with chris
skybust
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:46 pm

Some new guys are asking where to go for the "festival" so I am putting together a set of directions starting from Anchorage.

Drive North on the Glen HWY and turn off to the right on the Old Glen before the Knik River Bridge. Turn right and drive down the old HWY for a few miles. The road main road will take you to the Knik river and you will see two bridges. One is the old single lane bridge and is not in use. Cross the river on the main road and keep driving for few miles on past Plumley road and the "gas and go" at the Butte. You will come to a section of the road that is very straight with a leavy on your left and a creek/ditch on the right. About 1 mile after the road become straight there will be a marked road on the right - Maud Road. Take this right and go to the end where it appears to become someone's driveway. Keep going into the woods. You are now on the Rippy Trail.

There are a few pot holes and a wash out or two. About 1.5 miles later you will come to a parking area on the right. This is the "launch" area that most of us use. The "ramp" is usually one truck at a time. Make sure you have 4WD since the place can get slippery.

Here is a Mapquest link to the general area.
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&addtohistory=&address=&city=butte&state=ak&zipcode=&country=US&geodiff=1

Click in on the Zoom one time to get the roads to show up. On the map you will see the roads and the lake we launch into to get to the rest of the marsh. The lake size shown on the map is based on pre 1964 quake size info. It is much larger now since it sank about 3 feet back then.

The guys could be anywhere in the marsh so listen for the lawnmower noise off the mud motors. The newer ones may be sounding like a hog.

The cabin is way up Jim Creek into the Swan Lake area. From the launch enter Jim Creek and then take the first "left" and follow all the twists and turns. Once to the main channel head upstream (left). Jump some logs, more twists and turns, and you will eventually come to a bunch of wide water with what appears to be a pine covered island. From this point there are many options to take - up stream to the right and Swan Lake, left and Leaf Lake, or a couple of back sloughs. Lots of spots.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby otterbfishin » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:47 pm

Ray,
You say "...jump some logs..." Is it possible for me to get my 16' river sled up there? Need about 6" of water.
Jesse
otterbfishin
hunter

Postby skybust » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:53 am

Jesse you shouldnt have any problems the water is real high this year shannon has been up several times and no problems. Ray I might have to work on Friday so might have to meet on Saturday dont know yet but for sure on Sat. We will set a time for everyone to meet. Thanks for giving directions chris.
skybust
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:54 am

Jesse, and everyone else that doesn't know, I was "making a funny" and should have had those words in quotes.

There is a tree on the main creek just up from the last left turn that fell across the channel two winters ago. It has been hit lots of times by air boats and the rest of us so the majority of the limbs have been knocked off. You drive on the left side going up stream and try not to "loose your hat" in the alders on the left bank as you go over the tree. It is only a problem for us prop outboard uses later in the fall when the water level drops 3 feet. After the rain last week there could be so much water in the creek that a tug boat could go up it now.

With your jet you will find that some of the water weeds may cause an issue in the first section of the creek once in a while. If there is enough traffic there is a clear path down the middle. I think the guys with the bigger jets (80-90hp) have the most problem since they have the most suction.

The other issue for us prop outboard users are the small diameter alder limbs that float around in the creek. The wakes from boats tends to keep them stuck up near the banks, but every once in a while I will find one out in the middle of the creek and have to dodge around it. I hit one once and it tossed the outboard up into the full lock position. Lots of "power" in a water logged stick.

Chris, I think showing up on Saturday will work good for me as well. The kid has been moody these last few weeks so she can be hard to keep happy.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby TNdukr » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:20 pm

I hope to see you guys out there. I need to put the boat in the water this week to test it out...any suggestions? Somewhere close by would be nice. (16' alumacraft 24HP go devil) I hear alot of the area lakes don't allow powered boats. Any help would be appreciated.
TNdukr
Newb

Postby AK Ray » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:41 pm

You are out of luck in Anchor Town for power boats on lakes. The problem may not be that they are not allowed is it just that they are too small and there are no ramps to launch from a trailer. I don't know about on base, but I think they don't allow power boats either.

There are several lakes in The Valley to launch in that are not too far away. But if you are going there you may as well head on out to the swamp and really test the mud part of the mud motor.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/statewide/lakemaps.cfm

This link is for the ADF&G stocked lake maps website. The individual maps will show if the lake has a launch ramp or not. Lucille Lake in Wasilla is a good one as is Big Lake, but you will have to deal with all the water skiers.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby akduse » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:41 pm

So I just got wind of this and was wondering what the plan is and who or what to consider bringing???????
Post up and let me know what you all have on your mind to do and what time to meet.

Shannon
akduse
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:27 am

Shannon, I had thought that this was your idea some months ago on the 'fuge. :hammering:

I was thinking that it would just be a boat run with a picnic/lunch tossed in some place. That could be at the cabin or back at the launch. Or even a flotilla in the middle of Swan Lake.

The kid will be skipping out on Karate on saturday so we can get out there anytime from 10am to noon for the day. If it is raining she is going to be a big PITA so we may not stay for long.

Personally I want to take rides in both yours and Chris' boats just to get the feel of those prodrives.

Right now the silvers are hitting the mouth of Jim creek on the Knik so boat traffic could be increasing on the lakes for those folks that don't ATV up to the mouth. I would expect to see several canoes or jet boats on the creek going after fish.

I also would like to spend some time brushing in some spots where we occassionally hunt from the shore at Leaf when the wind is right and the water is low. The brush from previous years has washed away and it would be easier to drag it there with the boat than to drag it by hand in low water.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby skybust » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:01 pm

well guys doesnt look like Ill be able to make it blew out my left knee have to go see a surgen on Thursday. Sorry for any inconvience I cause anyone chris
skybust
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:16 pm

Sorry to hear that Chris.

Does that mean that we aren't going to finish the boat? My schedule is filling up fast but I think we can get it done.

However, if you are in a brace you won't be hunting much anyway unless someone carts you around.

Keep us updated on the situation.

Ray
AK Ray
hunter

Postby akduse » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:14 pm

Yes Ray, it was my idea.
I just would like to see how many of us will be up there and to see what I should go and run on Thurs. to see what kind of interesting time we may have.
If between 9 and 10 to meet and would just come and shuttle back and forth so that all can drive and ride. I have another console setup coming and also will have a 14' with pods and a Beavertail long tail up there so that if someone would be looking for a boat,trailer and mud motor it would be ready For Sale $2500. Also will have my demo 32 on my boat to drive and this motor is also For Sale $5200 w/ reverse 27 hours on it as stated this is my demo motor and being a demo they don't like for me to go over 50hrs on it.
If everybody could post up how many will be there and buddies come with that way will have a idea of how to proceed

Thanks All
Shannon
akduse
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:31 pm

I will be bringing out my boat to run around in as well. I want to grass up the pop-up blind and see how it looks. Yup, no more floating hay bale for me.

I'll be there around 10am. I looks like it could be a really nice day on saturday.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:49 pm

duse, ray.........

I kinda got lost on this thread.

When are you planning on having it? I need to know before I can commit, lol.

thanks,
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:02 am

Saturday July 29 (tomorrow) all day (or until we get tired) starting between 9 and 10am.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby otterbfishin » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:47 pm

I really, really want to be there, but my boss left with his wife to have a child, so I'm the boss for a few weeks. Cuts deep into my free time. Look forward to seeing some pics posted and lots of good replys about all the fun I'm missing. One other bummer is that credit card debt and my wifes (correct) attitude that we need to lower it first, prevents me from buying the materials for my new duck boat. I do have a little 10 aluminum skiff with a 4 horse. Any chance it's enough rig to get me into the "spot". I could camo it up with burlap from Sportsmans warehouse, add a few willows, grass, willows, etc. What do you guys think? I've also got an old 12 Coleman canoe?
Jesse
otterbfishin
hunter

Postby akduse » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:38 pm

Hello Jess,
That is to bad that you won't be making it out on Sat.
When the time gets closer just let one of us know and we will take you and the skiff out and check it before upsetting the wife!!!!!!!

I will bet that we could get you down to do a hunt and scouting days???????? I'm sure

Will let you know about doing a camo job also.
If you have questions or bs's time drop me a line and will go from there

Shannon :thumbsup:
akduse
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:14 am

duse, ray...

Im bummed that it is tomarrow. I wont be able to go. Ill be helping out at the Boy Scout camp. All well.

I will most DEFINITELY try to do something next time we have a git together.

Maybe a day at the trap range?

Again, sorry I cant go. I know it will be tuff to have fun w/o me, but Im shure y'all will manage :toofunny:

-Stouff :salude:

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby skybust » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:23 pm

Ray had a mri today will know more on Tues when I see the doc. No matter what I want to finish the boat will the odor the expxy on Monday. And trust me Im still going to be duck hunting would have to be dead not to go chris.
skybust
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:52 am

Soooooooo....... howd it go :smile:

I wish I kudda been there, was thinkin bout how much fun y'all were having :thumbsup:
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting