How Did Y'all Do?

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

How Did Y'all Do?

Postby AKWoody » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:24 pm

I spent opening morning at my daughters dance class and then mowed the grass. Curious as to how the folks who actually went hunting did.
AKWoody
hunter

Re: How Did Y'all Do?

Postby click » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:10 pm

well despite being soaked by rain , and leaky waders ...3 of us had our limits by 0900 on saturday..heard lots of shooting .
Matt,
Proudly Owned By A CBR Wildwood's Tall Timber
2013-2014 Season Recovery 89.5%
Days Hunted 42
click
hunter

Postby duckbio » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:00 pm

Lots of shooting was an understatement where I was. I managed 9 before they stopped flying all together on Saturday with one band coming from a goldeneye.
"Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but political correctness is killing me."
duckbio
hunter

Postby click » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:25 pm

Ya opening weekend was a zoo to say the least. saw alot of sky busters as well. :mad:
Matt,
Days Hunted 42
click
hunter

Postby duckbio » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:46 pm

The part that really got me wasn't the number of people, or the shots they were taking, but the amount of hulls they just left lying around after they were done. On the walk out I passed by an area some person/people had been hunting and there must have been at least a box or so of 3 1/2" Federal Black Cloud hulls in BB size shot. Hulls count as litter too! I'm not afraid to say I've probably left some hulls behind in the places I have hunted, but at least I make an effort to pick them up!
"Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but political correctness is killing me."
duckbio
hunter

Postby click » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:45 pm

The thing that gets me is the amount of people that think they are duck hunting by taking a couple deeks, putting them in the water and shooting at every bird that fly's within a halph mile of em, even if they are my swing birds....kinda burns me as the season goes on an i think about the ducks that were working when BAM they get shot at and go to mach 12 at 800 feet high. :mad:
Matt,
Days Hunted 42
click
hunter

Postby Black Brant » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:52 pm

We had our typical slow opener out here on the Peninsula, 4 of us managed about 25 birds, well short of a limit, but we had a great time and tried to pick up all of our empties. Enjoy the days you are granted and try and understand those of us who are not as gifted as the next person. We all were newbies at one time. It is a sport and we should do our best to encourage sportsmanship but the bottom line is respect the birds. :beer:
Black Brant
hunter

Postby quackin07 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:07 am

opening day for my first season in alaska was pretty slow. we set up at a lake that just wasn't where they wanted to be. managed a few buffies though. had a couple first timers with us as well as a young dog. but a bad day hunting is better than any day at work..lol btw since them we've got on them pretty good.....
quackin07
Newb

Postby Erich_870 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:21 pm

I was home sick as a dog for opening day down here. I got out on Saturday and only had one opportunity when I was still setting up the decoys. Still lots of time left in the season. :thumbsup:

Erich
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment"

Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Weed Whacker Boat Motor Build
Erich_870
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting