Bands

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Bands

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:18 am

Shot two banded birds this past weekend (1) Canada Goose and (1) GWT, the GWT is interesting because it was banded at Minto Lakes, Alaska. This my not be interesting to y'all, but this bird was banded 8/19/12 and shot 10/26/12 in New Mexico. UGS is asking for additional information on this bird calling it "unusual activity".
My question because this bird is easily the farthest north band I've ever gotten, is do they regularly band at that location/lake?
Blackfoot Inc
hunter

Re: Bands

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:41 am

Really man no pics, come on :hammer:

Yes there is a banding project on the Minto Flats. Pretty cool set up.

Congrats on the bands though :thumbsup:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:52 pm

Thanks LaRedneck, around here posting pics just gets You flamed.

Believe the USG is shocked this GWT crossed over flyways (Pacific to Central) and the distance covered in such a short period of time.

Hope your season goes well neighbor :beer:
Blackfoot Inc
hunter

Postby duckbio » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:13 pm

I think a picture with just the bird and the band would be ok. If it was from Minto Lakes/Minto Flats area I might have the same Bander as you. I shot a Common Goldeneye before the water got hard that was banded up near there. Of course it only made it about 50 miles as the bird flys to where I shot it. I would believe the bird made it that far that quickly. We had unusual weather and it was warmer than expected later in the year, then the weather changed quickly. There was quite the mass exodus of waterfowl from the area very quickly. That bird might have met up with some BWT along the line somewhere and decided to hit the road with them. Or it could have just decided to fly that far for some other reason.
"Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but political correctness is killing me."
duckbio
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:34 am

Blackfoot Inc wrote:Thanks LaRedneck, around here posting pics just gets You flamed.

Believe the USG is shocked this GWT crossed over flyways (Pacific to Central) and the distance covered in such a short period of time.

Hope your season goes well neighbor :beer:

Who's flamming!!! You tell me who and i'll fix it, lol.........Anyhow Yea just a band pic would be cool. And I've heard of ducks crossing several flyways so those guys need to get out more. A bad storm blows through and off track they go. Thats how we get geese through our part of Az.

Season is going well so far :thumbsup:

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby brock2ak » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:41 pm

Come on man, we need a pic now!!! :fingerpt: :fingerpt:
brock2ak
hunter

Postby 0321Tony » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:02 am

I went to northern California and hunted with my cousin for a few days. While I was there I picked up my first band on a nice Pintail, he was banded in August 2012 in the Minto flats and I killed him December of 2012 in the butte sink outside of Calusa.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
0321Tony
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:21 pm

0321Tony wrote:I went to northern California and hunted with my cousin for a few days. While I was there I picked up my first band on a nice Pintail, he was banded in August 2012 in the Minto flats and I killed him December of 2012 in the butte sink outside of Calusa.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Useless post without pics :hammer:

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting