Cordova duck and deer!

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Cordova duck and deer!

Postby afman87 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:12 pm

hey yaw'll,
I was just wondering if there was anyone who has hunted deer and ducks near Cordova? I'm planning on taking the ferry from Valdez in early December. Bringing my 18ft jon boat and planing on hitting the nearby islands. I figure I can hunt deer during high tide and ducks during low. I'm kind of rolling the dice right now because I have never hunted the area and I live all the way up in fairbanks, but I need to put some meat in the freezer and lets face it you can never have too many 40mph flying targets! I'm not asking for spots to go or anything. I will try to find those on my own. But I could use some helpful hints seeing as I have never hunted sitka deer or sea ducks..... This is going to be an interesting trip...
afman87
hunter

Re: Cordova duck and deer!

Postby waldo2382 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:01 pm

I work in Cordova A LOT and the duck hunting is good. Check out the head of Simpson Bay or Windy Bay. As for deer...last winter really took a toll on them. Deer season will be closed December 7 by emergency order (Check out the ADFG website) You'll want to hunt deer on a low tide around the islands. Sounds like you're setting up for a LOT of running around. Better to focus on one or the other each day. Deer, if you're there before it closes, be prepared to burn lots of gas and not see a whole lot.
Alaskans for Global Warming

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
waldo2382
hunter

Postby Lane » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:19 am

As stated, Deer will be closing on the 7th of Dec. And the Deer herd is very very low. With lots of hiking you may see more than one a day. If you do youll be lucky. Most avid Deer hunters have not bothered to go out this year more than 2 times. Just not worth the fuel. Ducks are thinning out but still a few around as of today. Good Luck. Oh FWIW , I live in Cordova, and hunt more days a week than most
Lane
hunter

Postby afman87 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:28 am

Thanks for the heads up on the EO guys I somehow managed to miss that one. That's too bad I was really excited to come down there and although I think it would be worth the price to me to chase ducks I'm pretty sure the rest of my hunting party is'nt at quackers as I am. Well if you guys (Waldo, lane) have room in your blind for another addict I would love to make the trip! If not i look forward to seeing you all next year.
Taker easy and thanks for the help,
Brandon
afman87
hunter

Postby Lane » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:34 pm

I'm out rest of this year due to work injury but next year ..... I'll be ready :beer:
Lane
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting