What decoys for Kodiak area?

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

What decoys for Kodiak area?

Postby poorboy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Hey everyone, we are packing up this summer and moving to Kodiak. Can't wait to get there, have been trying for a few years. long story short, I am coming from the eastern shore of MD. I started going through decoys today and realized I may not be bringing all that I have with us. I am looking for some local knowledge on species of duck/goose that travel threw the Kodiak area. For example, I doubt black duck dekes would do much good there...or maybe they would?? I have been trying to search on line but haven't found much, any help would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

Dan
poorboy
hunter

Re: What decoys for Kodiak area?

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:44 pm

Primarly surf scoters and eiders
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 0321Tony » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:33 pm

You will find all types of ducks there. You will see all types of puddle ducks along the shore line and will find pockets of them in the brackish waters. There are all types of sea ducks, scooters harlies few eiders old squaw goldeneye etc... Lots of mallards sprig, teal. Keep your deeks and bring them with, anything you don't use paint them flat black for scooters or black and white like a goldeneye.
Kodiak is excellent waterfowl hunting. I live on the peninsula about 100 miles or so north and have hunted Kodiak.
The season on the peninsula opens the first of Sept and goes till the middle of Dec. It opens a little later in kodiak and stays open till the middle of January. but Homer is just a ferry ride away to an extra month of duck hunting

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
0321Tony
hunter

Postby Aleutianking » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:06 pm

Did you end up moving there, As i also moved here, maybe we can hook up and go hunting.
Aleutianking
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting