Anybody gettin any Ducks?

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Anybody gettin any Ducks?

Postby otterbfishin » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:12 pm

Just got back from my trip up north with my brother from California. Ended up in the Delta Junction area. Not too hot. Hunted Geese with C&S Charters in the barley fields, but the local birds had been shot at for 5 days by the time we got there. Managed to drop one Honker and that was it for the barley fields. They said the "Northern" birds would be in the area around the 15th for a few days, but couldn't wait that long, so we hunted Moose HARD for five days on the Tanana with my 16 footer. Went about 25 miles up river each day at O-Dark-Thirty then drifted with the oars down to the Johnson River (about 20 miles) each day. Managed to bag another Honker off a sand bar on the way down river the second day. Did the north side of the river where ANY Bull is legal. Saw lots of cows with calves, but no takers :( Then on the last day we hunted an area we were told about by a local and my brother dropped a very nice spike-fork. We were thanking the Lord for his gift and busy quartering up the moose when the land owner came along and told us we were in a "Permit Only" area. We called Fish and Game on the cell phone and they confirmed that we were "just" over the line of demarcation by about 100' or so. Had to finish quartering, bring the moose in, pay a $300.00 fine and deliver the moose to the local packing plant. There the $300 would be spent processing the meat and covering the cost of the transportation to an old guy who lived in the bush, had just lost his wife and was partially disabled. Well, at least it went to someone who really needed it. That was about it !! :( :( Hope you guys had allot better luck with the ducks. Got the blind finished on my boat and I'm itching to try it out down around the hayfields somewhere. Hoping to get Wed. Thur. off, but since the lodge where I work is shutting down for the winter I may have to stay and run the crew through the week and hunt on the weekend. Any ideas for a spot to put some sweet duck meat in the freezer? My usual hunt is on the Susitna River, but I've seen VERY few ducks so far this fall. Good luck to all. (PM if necessary, thanks)
Jesse
otterbfishin
hunter

Postby AK Ducks » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:55 pm

not much here got another sandhill the other day but thats it going down to hunt with C&S next weekend from what we here that should be a good weekend for the geese.
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Permits? We don't need no stinking Permits!

Postby AK Ray » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:32 pm

Sorry to hear about the lost moose Jesse. Could you have said that it ran the 100' after the shot? It could have happened.

Now you're going to end up on the PSO daily news reports.

As for ducks, I have only been out on opening day for a few hours until the engine overheated due to the impeller wearing out over the last 4 years. Funny how the owners manual never mentions replacing it on a regular basis, but the dealer says every two years.

I have 80 hours of comp time built up so I will be taking at least a day a week off for awhile to go hunting. I just wish the birds would be anywhere but near the mudflats. So far that is all I've heard about for good shooting is the edges of the hayflats and that everything else is marginal. I need a good light weight jet with high sides to get to Coffee Point at high tide.

I will be checking with a friend about going during the week, but I think he is limited to the weekend right now.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby otterbfishin » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:53 pm

Ray,
The impeller you're referring to is the water pump impeller, not the jet impeller, right? Any damage to the motor?

I don't know what the PSO Daily is. For what it's worth both the game warden and the packing plant worker said that the regulations are difficult to understand even for the local folks. No excuse, I know, but somewhat comforting to our poor judgement.

I've got the light weight jet with high sides you're talking about. I'de be up for a run to Coffe Point if you're interested. (where is Coffee Point? :)

AK Ducks,
Say hi to ED and/or Dave for me. Tell him I'm downloading the pics of his family and will send them soon.
otterbfishin
hunter

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:39 pm

the ducks left this morning and never came back to the flats this afternoon :(
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:56 pm

Jesse, see the PM.

It was the water pump impellar - little rubber thingy in the power head. Runs like the nissan it used to be now.

Coffee Point is the "end" of the hayflats just before the mudflats.

Call me tonight on the cell 907 440 1284.

I may have the kid again this weekend, but should be able to go out on friday morning or wednesday.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby akbrett » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:59 am

Sorry to hear about the moose, Jesse.

Ray, we made it a policy to replace the water pumps every 2 years because of little things like that. It can turn a good day into a bad day in a real hurry. I'd love to be able to get out there to Coffee Point... one of these days... maybe when the girls are a little older.

I have been picking up a couple of birds here and there in the Coastal Refuge (I hunt it every other morning. The dog and I go get a cup of Joe and head out for a couple of hours and enjoy the sunrise without the sound of little ones. It's become a rather enjoyable ritual even when we don't see any birds after shooting light.) and did pretty well out in the Twentymile-Placer area this last week. The dog and I picked up 3 mallards and 3 wigeon one morning and missed more than a few. I'm going to take a couple guys down there on Friday morning and see how many birds are still kicking around. Last year I was still kicking them up into early Nov.

Here we were, taking pictures at the end of a good morning and one more bird decided to come in. Thankfully the camera still worked after I dropped it in the grass reaching for the shotgun.

akbrett
hunter

Postby otterbfishin » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:22 pm

Brett,
Great pics of the ducks and your fine dog! I'm envious. I'de be proud to come home with a duck strap like that. My best day on the Susitna was two years ago when I shot eight mallards from sunrise to noon. My total for that year was twenty ducks, mostly mallards with a couple blue bills thrown in. All were great on the table!

I pick every bird as my Dad taught. "Never waste any of what God has given, use it all". In fact my first time when out Dove hunting and I shot a meadow lark by mistake, my Dad had me pick it, roast it, and eat it. Not that bad! I absolutely LOVE the taste of roasted duck! I've been eating it since I was seven years old hunting with my Dad and my brother on the Del Mar sloughs in southern Calif.

We never shot a mallard there. My first mallard was in the Central Valley near Gridley in north middle Calif. I hooped and hollerd about that bird, but it was the first of many to follow.

I would love to be able to get up in the morning and go out to bag a couple of birds, or just watch the sunrise over the dekes as you can there in Anchor Town. It's a 2+ hour drive for me to be able to enjoy that. At least one hour too long for me at my age to be able to really get the most of the hunt.

Seen very few ducks here on the Susitna this year? What happened? Where did the ducks go? Hoping the Northern birds come down soon in earnest.

Enjoy your brief respite from those wondertful kids and continue to the wonderment of the marsh at dawn. Go get'em Brett.
Jesse
otterbfishin
hunter

Postby akbrett » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:31 pm

Thanks Jessie,

That's the most birds I've taken in a single day. I've been seeing quite a few birds, but they are spread out. I think all of that rain we got is really changing their patterns right now. They can (and are) using places that normally don't have any water and are now flooded. It makes a lot more food and cover available to them.

I understand about the drive. The best shooting I've found yet this year is still 45min. drive down the arm to the Twentymile-Portage-Placer area. Either way I'll be thinking about you as I'm sitting there enjoying the peace with the pooch in the mornings. :smile:
akbrett
hunter

Postby AKcoldhunter » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:06 pm

The duck are in, I went out 4 times this week and limited each time. and that is out on the palmer flats. I got more duck than I have ever gotten this year, with a total of 72 duck on the year.
That dog will hunt
AKcoldhunter
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting