Do All alaskan ducks taste like seaweed

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Do All alaskan ducks taste like seaweed

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:19 am

mine sure do :thumbsdown:
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Postby OneLunG » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:49 am

Your not cookin em right :P
OneLunG
hunter

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:57 pm

well how should I cook em?
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:32 pm

ak_powder_monkey wrote:well how should I cook em?

I have always just made chillie......

Swamp Puppy posted a KILLER recipy for some freakin hot ass chillie in the recepie forum a while back.... damn good :thumbsup:

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby OneLunG » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:46 pm

When I cook my ducks - I heavily marinate them - You gotta remember our ducks are fattening up on the farming fields like down south :P
OneLunG
hunter

Postby otterbfishin » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:30 am

Sea Ducks and divers do taste a little stronger than puddle ducks. It dosn't matter whether you shoot them in Texas or Alaska. The matter of taste is your guide as to which ducks to shoot. If you don't like the taste of Sea Ducks, don't shoot them. Hunt puddlers.

If you Google wild duck recipes you will find more ways than you can count to cook them. I prefer picking the whole bird, stuffing the cavity with onion and apple, rolling the bird in flour and salt and pepper, browning in a hot deep pan with olive oil, then roasting in the oven at 350 for 1/2 hour.

When I was a kid hunting the west coast I shot alot of sea scooters. These birds tended to be very tough. I would breast them, butterfly the breast, roll in flour and salt and pepper, then fry quickly in a very hot pan like you would for liver. This meat then would go into sandwiches. Very tasty.

Key to cooking duck is not to over cook it! It should be very rare to be tender.
otterbfishin
hunter

Postby OneLunG » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:39 am

aye...watch out for the worms :S Most of the ducks we have shot lately have had worms :(
OneLunG
hunter

Postby akbrett » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:52 pm

I've tried them quite a few ways and by far the family favorite is the chili recipe that ARN mentioned.
akbrett
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Well i've never killed any of these sea ducks you speek of but I soak all my game in pet milk before i start the seasoning process.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AK Ray » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:18 am

Here is a good way to prepare ducks. I had a blue bill and a widgeon last night using this and they were really tasty.

Diver cooking by Lou Tisch

There are some secrets.....I always place a duck or coot on it's back right after it's shot. This lets the blood drain out of the breast and removes a lot of the gamey taste. I will then typically age my birds a couple days (this is temperature dependent). If you think about it.......all the meat you eat has been aged. Makes a big difference.

A fix for shot up birds or birds that were not handled well is to soak them in water and baking soda mixture over night to dissolve out any gamey taste. One to two table spoons of baking soda to a quart of water work OK. It will load the meat with water so you have to drain it for a day. Do not cook the water soaked meat without draining it as some of it will end up with a spongy texture.

Lou’s Stir Fry
1. Breast the bird out and chunk the breast into pieces about 1/2" to 3/4" square.
2. Heat the wok up and put some peanut oil in and get that good and hot. Then add some Lawrey's seasoning and mesquite seasoning and allow this to steep a little. You can use seasoned wok oil and skip these seasonings, but the Lawrey’s and the mesquite go well with the other things being added at the end of the meat cooking step.
3. Cook hard veggies like carrots and such at this time with 1/3 of a sliced up onion. Remember that the thinner you cut up the veggies the faster they cook. Cook until the onion is nearly clear. Take out and set aside for adding back in later.
4. Add more oil. Once hot, throw the rest of the chopped onions in and half sauté them then bring them up on the sides of the wok.
5. Now put the meat in and begin cooking it. Half way through you can bring the onions down into the meat.
6. Add two or three shakes of cinnamon to the mix at this time and about a minute later add a little (¼ tsp) vanilla extract.
7. Do not over cook.....keep the meat red in the middle a little. When the meat is cooked, add a little Drambuie to the mix and this will change the boiling point and saturate the meat with some of the flavor and the alcohol will flash off. (you could use brandy as well).
8. Add the cooked veggies back in and mix to heat them up and get the sauce spread out
9. Serve over wild rice with a good red wine on the side.

Lou has used this on sea ducks and divers for years and it even makes coot taste good according to him.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:23 pm

i shoot a lot of coastal ducks. while they are puddle ducks. mallards, widgeon, teal, etc. they taste like a combination of ass and mud.

this is a killer way to off a few duck breasts and pawn it off on your friends. they'll love it...and you don't have to eat 'em all. lol. this is especially handy when you end up with over 100 ducks a year.

ENJOY!!!!

It helps if you have some basic chili making experience already as a lot of this is "add to taste".

you will need:

-2 or 3 medium to large duck breasts (4-6 fillets marinade or prepare however you prefer...i will provide my marinade at the end of the recipe)
-2 packages of black beans
-1 Habanero pepper
-chili powder
-ceyanne pepper (powdered...not the actual pepper)
-1 can of diced green chilis (or dice your own)
-1 can of diced jalapenos (or dice your own)
-1 large sweet or yellow onion (diced)
- salt and pepper
-large can of tomato sauce (26 ounces i think they are)
-couple of heaping tablespoons of brown sugar. (2 or 3 ought to do)

prepare the beans according the directions on the package. usually requires to soak overnight. during this time i usually marinade my duck breasts.

when beans are ready. add the tomato sauce and about half a can of water. you can add moer tomato sauce if you like a thinner chili (you'll need to have more than the one can if you do.)

once you have the sauce on the beans and everything is about the right thickness...add the habanero (whole) and the diced jalapenos, green chilis, and onion. simmer on low heat.

cut your duck breasts into bite size pieces and brown in frying pan. add to chili.

add a heathy ammount of chili powder (probably around an 1/8th of a cup) and a teaspoon of ceyanne pepper powder and the brown sugar.

add a tablespoon of salt and a teaspoon of pepper.

cover and simmer on low heat for an hour stiring every 10-15 minutes.

add more chili powder - ceyanne - salt/pepper as needed.

continue to simmer for about 4 hours stiring occasionally and adding ingredients to taste.

*warning*

the taste of the chili powder and heat from the cayenne pepper / habanero increase over time. so be careful with what you add after the first hour.

the chili is ready to go ...serve with a cold beverage. preferably the adult kind, but anything will do.

notes:

this is a HOT chili. to reduce the heat, take out the habanero pepper after 1 or 2 hours and cut down on the ceyanne pepper.

for the duck breasts - i soak them in salt water for 4 hours then rise and marinade them overnight in worshestishire (sp??) sauce and 2 cloves.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

They arn't that bad...

Postby Northern Stalker » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:46 pm

Well I have never eaten @ss before Swamp Puppy so the analogy doesn't really work!
It is all in how you prepare them.
Yes divers and seaducks do have a stronger taste, but you just have to soak them longer or cook them in something that helps mask the flavor (like your chili that sounds TOO HOT for me to eat.
I always hang my birds for a day or 2 before I clean them, I think it helps with the gamey taste but thats just me.
Northern Stalker
hunter

Re: They arn't that bad...

Postby Swamp Puppy » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:25 pm

Northern Stalker wrote:Well I have never eaten @ss before Swamp Puppy

don't worry..some day you'll meet the right gal and all that will change....lol.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Northern Stalker » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:36 pm

Swamp Puppy...I don't think my wife would appriciate it if that happened
haha

-Northern Stalker
Northern Stalker
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting