moving to alaska

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

moving to alaska

Postby turkeyhuntinNC » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:43 pm

im thinking about moving to alaska but i want to know which is a good city/region to move too. i dont want it to be wet all the time like in south east alaska and i want an area that has good moose and other game hnting around...and not to far north..i like small towns....any suggestions??
turkeyhuntinNC
hunter

Postby skybust » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:11 pm

Wasilla would be good
skybust
hunter

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:12 pm

wassila is not a small town for sure, its a stip mall suburb! Look at Palmer or Eagle River, ER is a really nice place plus its less of a commute if you work in anchorage
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Postby AK Ducks » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:39 pm

well I was going to say juneau but your all like I don't like the rain.
so I don't really know where elese.
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:03 pm

If I was just moving up here I would highly consider the "valley" either wasilla or palmer.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help ya!

I really hope you do decide to move up :thumbsup:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby akbrett » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:53 pm

A lot of it depends on what you can/want to do to pay the bills.
akbrett
hunter

Postby the.hines » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:08 am

Well dont move to Cordova, hell we got 5 inches a rain yesterday alone... It hasn't stopped raining either????

I really like the Valley area, it gets a little of everything plus if you need something you can drive to anchorage.
"Respect is never given, but always earned"

Shawn "DEK" Hines
Franklin KY
the.hines
acct perm susp for duplicate use name

Postby turkeyhuntinNC » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:00 pm

does the valley are have good big game hunting around?..also i was wondering is it the law in alaska that if your a non-resident you have to have a guide to hunt? that is what i heard
turkeyhuntinNC
hunter

Postby akbrett » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:22 pm

Define "good" big game hunting. Are there places to go, yes. People from the states often forget that Alaska is BIG. Real BIG. While there are a lot of animals there is a lot of country for them to live in. In the valley there is the oppertunity to take Moose, Sheep, and Mt. Goats. For the sheep and the goats you are more than likely going to have to spend some cash to fly out.

For moose, while there are animals around it's not like the deer in the states. The valley is in Unit 14A, for moose the general season is 10 days long and there are antler restrictions (spike/fork or 50 inch antlers or 3 or more brow tines on at least one side). Just to the north is 14B where the general season is a little longer, 40 days ,with the same antler restrictions. For the 2005 hunting season there were 3547 hunters of which 576 were sucessful (about 16%) in units 14A and 14B combined.

I'm not trying to scare you away, but for the really good hunting in Alaska you have to get away from the crowds, which costs money. As far as the non-residents needing a guide, it is only for certain species. A non-reident is required to have a guide if they want to hunt: Brown/Grizzly bear, Dall Sheep, and Mt. Goat. There was talk several years ago of adding Moose to that list but that has not happened yet.

Now, if like myself you consider Good Hunting to be anytime you are outside with a rifle/shotgun/bow in hand then just about any community in Alaska has good hunting available to you.

Hope this helps.
akbrett
hunter

Postby turkeyhuntinNC » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:10 pm

yes i am most interested in moose hunting as i went on a trip with my dad last year in BC and took a 54" bull. but i have my pilots license and my dad owns a bush plane so can u just fly out in alaska hunt on any public land or are there certain restrictions and all....well ne ways thanx for all you guys help and im really considering movbing out there sometime..thanx

-jonathan
turkeyhuntinNC
hunter

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:28 pm

you should strap me into the back of that bushplane and I'll show you :getdown:

Alaska is mostly public land, the only lnad you have to watch out for is Native Corporation Land, and Fedral Land. If you get the hunting regs it explains same day airborne hunting rules (no big game except deer and caribou in some units untill 3 am the day after you fly a bushplane), guide rules, and vehicle restrictins on state land.

And if you like to fish Alaska is heaven. Contact me about fishing, if you can get us in the air in southcentral and don't mind landing on gravel bars and such I'll split gas sometime! Also I know a ton of places to fish roadside, let me know and I'll show you around (if you split gas of course ;) )

good luck! and DO IT! Alaska Rules
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting