Good Place to Get some Ducks

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Good Place to Get some Ducks

Postby WildManWiles » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:32 pm

I've been sitting at the Palmer Hay Flats, at the slough.... Been there past couple days with no ducks flying.

I need a new place to go and Im going to go there on Tuesday. :help:

Please send me some tips asap so I can scout em out on Monday.

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

EDIT: I've heard about Jim/Mud/Gull Lakes and did a Google earth and found the road that gets there, so I might have to check that out. Any ideas on this place or any other would be greatly appreciated.
Fear Nothing, Do Everything!
WildManWiles
Newb

Postby AK Ray » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:53 pm

If there are no ducks at the Hay flats then there are no ducks anywhere in the area either. I talked to a couple of folks coming out of Jim/Mud Lakes and they saw nothing in the air all weekend.

The storms last week may have pushed the northern birds south already. I was in Cordova and then on Hinchinbrook last week and as soon as the storm passed the snow geese were flying south all afternoon and most of thursday night. Nothing flying on friday. No deer out in the sun either.

If the western birds waited out the storm then next week we could see some more until ice up. There will be resident birds around but they are tough to find and hunt unless more people go after them on the hay flats during the tide changes.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:21 pm

try the birchwood managment area or peters creek.
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:37 pm

Don't know what time you where out at the slough but last saturday I limited out by 1000 and started late. But i stuck around for the evening and did notice that the birds weren't moving like the morning. If you have a fourwheeler then get back buy the big pond. :thumbsup:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby WildManWiles » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:55 pm

:pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:

Absolutly no birds flew all morning....

Went down by the public access, crossed the bridge... walked to the right about 1-3 miles or so... found a nice place to sit and plant the deeks, little pond in front of me.

I had 2 ducks fly somewhat close, but not really close enough to shoot at. Had a lot of shots coming from the other side of the flats, lucky bastards...

Then I had a flock of geese fly about 70-80 yards above me, wishing I had a rifle.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll have to find a new place to sit.

I have neither a boat nor a 4 wheeler, so I'm huffin it for a while.

And I was out of there by 1230.
WildManWiles
Newb

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:06 pm

:yes: Some of that shooting was me, hehe....yea man you need to get there early early in the morning and walk about as far as you can because there is a far size pond back there that the birds will light in and they follow the creek off the pond too so anywhere between there is a good spot.

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:21 am

LAredneck wrote:Don't know what time you where out at the slough but last saturday I limited out by 1000 and started late. But i stuck around for the evening and did notice that the birds weren't moving like the morning. If you have a fourwheeler then get back buy the big pond. :thumbsup:

So you finally got some action in? NICE. Im shure it was alot more exciting than our adventure in Pt. Mackenzie :toofunny:
---------------------------

Wildman, Im more or less in the same boat as you. I havnt gotten a single bird this season yet...... :hammering:

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby WildManWiles » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:43 am

Where abouts is that pond at?
WildManWiles
Newb

Postby LaRedneck » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:03 pm

Yea Matt I found so action, hell you should have known that i'd fine some soon enough, plan on taking the wife out to birchwood next week, hopefully they'll be out there too.

Willies> the pond is a ways back there, it would be a heck of a hike thats why i said that it would be better if you had a wheeler, but if or since your on foot just walk the trail as far as you can and set up or take a brake and walk farther.

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting