Got your ducks in a row :)

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Got your ducks in a row :)

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:29 pm

Good day on the marsh

Been averageing anywhere from four to limit everytime out. Just wish more people where out there pushin'm around. :salude:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Got your ducks in a row :)

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:34 am

LAredneck wrote:Good day on the marsh

Been averageing anywhere from four to limit everytime out. Just wish more people where out there pushin'm around. :salude:

LA, you da man :thumbsup:

I havnt even been out the last couple of weeks... nor does this weekend look much better :eek:

Hopefully soon.

Again, congrats!!!
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:29 am

Those two in the middle look like they are still changing over to greenheads, is that really what it looks like?

Yeah, a lot of guys stop hunting at this time of year while there are still ducks moving and hanging out until january. There is a guy at work that will hunt out on the flats until the season closes. He took a stunning bull sprig last December. Pintails in AK in December? Yes it can happen.

Throughout the last months of the season you will be taking more of the resident birds that live in Cottonwood Creek in Wasilla along with town birds. Town is now full of birds again so this next week should be good hunting.

Could you tell if the big water was iced up or not? The town ponds were ice free on friday, don't know now that it has dropped to less than 20 degrees on saturday. Have to talk the kid into a walk about near the Butte on sunday morning.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby akbrett » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:40 pm

Lookin' good :thumbsup:

I'm still picking up a bird or two every now and again down on the south end of town.
akbrett
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:19 pm

AK Ray wrote:Those two in the middle look like they are still changing over to greenheads, is that really what it looks like?

Yeah, a lot of guys stop hunting at this time of year while there are still ducks moving and hanging out until january. There is a guy at work that will hunt out on the flats until the season closes. He took a stunning bull sprig last December. Pintails in AK in December? Yes it can happen.

Throughout the last months of the season you will be taking more of the resident birds that live in Cottonwood Creek in Wasilla along with town birds. Town is now full of birds again so this next week should be good hunting.

Could you tell if the big water was iced up or not? The town ponds were ice free on friday, don't know now that it has dropped to less than 20 degrees on saturday. Have to talk the kid into a walk about near the Butte on sunday morning.

Yep they havn't matured yet which was a suprise as every other greenhead I took out there was big fat and green :yes: but hey they all eat the same.

The big water is still open, by now there might be some ice on the edges but the other day just before shooting light a hugh flock over a hundred birds go up and headed towards goose bay or down rabbit slough but there's plenty still hanging around the little pockets and small ponds to keep you looking.

I went to the car wash the other day and there's still tons of birds there. Does that pond actually freeze up?

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby akbrett » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:14 am

Well I don't know about the north side of town but this weekend was one of my most enjoable weekends waterfowling yet. Had a good time with Jessie on Sat. and then took 7 nice birds on Sun. I'll post up some pics when I get my computer back up and running and don't have to borrow time on a friends.
akbrett
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:30 am

Ain't it great when it all comes together :thumbsup:

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby otterbfishin » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:48 pm

Brett,
I sure had a blast hunting with you. Did you go to the same place as Saturday?
otterbfishin
hunter

Postby akbrett » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:31 am

Jessie,

I had a good time too. We'll have to do it again sometime. Yeah, it was the same area. I had to set up on the other side of the island, it had warmed up a little and the ice and wind changed, the wind was blowing pretty hard straight down the valley. It was a pretty site though. At 10 min til shooting light I had about 10 birds come in and literally hang in the opening in the decoys for a good two seconds about 3 feet off the water. They hung around in the decoys until the alarm on the watch went off and I stood up. It was fun to watch them interact with the decoys although it damn near killed Loki to have them swimming around that close and not do anything about it. He just couldn't seem to figure out why I wasn't shooting yet.
akbrett
hunter

Postby otterbfishin » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:52 am

Wind really helps, but it can make shooting tricky on some shots. Great day! Looking forward to doing it again next season.
Jesse
otterbfishin
hunter

Postby akbrett » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:52 pm

Here's a shot of the birds after I got back Sun. The boy REALLY wants to shoot ducks. I think he's hooked.

akbrett
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:58 pm

Thats awesome man :thumbsup:

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby otterbfishin » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:25 am

Great picture of an up-and-coming duck hunter, and a nice strap of birds!
You guys have to know that he's already learning to use a duck call and can identify some ducks!
Goes with his dad into the field by back pack.
Great kid.
Great Dad.
otterbfishin
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:32 am

Looks like next fall Jesse is going to be "hosting" some folks up north.

Maybe a few people showing up on a saturday morning fly rod in hand.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby akbrett » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:57 pm

Thanks Jessie!
akbrett
hunter

Postby otterbfishin » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:21 pm

Ray,
I'd be pleased to greet you with fly rod in hand, any time the creeks are flowing. I like to work the early spring Kings at the Deshka too. I fish two days a week all summer, starting as soon as the rivers break up. Kings, Rainbows, Reds, Silvers, Burbot and Pike. I sport fish Chum in the late fall for the eggs that are caviar ripe. I like'em all! I'm usually off Wednesdays and Thursdays in the summer. You are all welcome to fish with me. Just give me a call. I'd be honored to fish with any of the duck hunters on this chat. You are all a great bunch of sportsmen.
Jesse
otterbfishin
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting