Summer Job

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Summer Job

Postby greenheadguy » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:32 pm

Hey guys i might be heading up to alaska for a summer job of assisting a guide, guide salmon fisherman. Other than fishing what is there to do up that way in the spring and summer. Are there any hunting seasons in or is it just straight fishing that time of year. I cant give u an exact local of where i'll be working but when i do, i will post up so maybe you can tell what i can due in that area of the state. Thanks for the help :thumbsup:
greenheadguy
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:56 pm

If you are at a remote lodge you will be pretty much stuck doing the fishing thing. If you are there in August you will be able to get in some P-bird hunting, and may be caribou depending on the unit you are in. Black bears could be in too. Depending on the location you may be able to get in some ducks on Sept 1 and some silvers. If you are too far out then ducks don't start until Oct well after the fish are gone.

If you are on the road system in Cook Inlet P-birds in August and ducks on Sept 1. If you are on the Kenai Penn you may be able to drift the rivers while silver fishing and duck hunting. Black bears too.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:10 am

Like Ray said it all depends on what time you get here and where you will be, I'm pumped about this summer, my buddy just got a boat and as soon as this stinkin white stuff is gone we're gone. Can't wait to get back to scouting and building some blinds. Drop us a line and surely one of us will show you around.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

DZUCKS

Postby greenheadguy » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:26 pm

I found out today that I would be around Kodiak Island.
greenheadguy
hunter

DZUCKS

Postby greenheadguy » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:08 pm

Disregard that last post, i will actually be in King Salmon, Alaska.
greenheadguy
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:41 am

From what I understand King Salmon is a small Village. But I bet if you get buddy buddy w/ some of the locals, you could get yourself some good hunting in towards the end of the summer :thumbsup:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

DZUCKS

Postby greenheadguy » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:44 pm

Turns out I wont have to much time to hunt because i will be guiding salmon fisherman everyday and later on in the summer i will head up to the brooks range to guide caribou and brown bear hunts, hopefully i will get a few days off to shoot a few ducks or p-birds, or maybe even a caribou or moose, but i dont know all the details yet.
greenheadguy
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:21 pm

King Salmon you say? King is a former Air Force base with a small town around it and then Naknek is down the road a ways. There is a bar and a store and the big hotel burned to the ground last summer. Don't know if it is built up again.

You will be flying out a lot to the more remote rivers to the southwest, east, or north of King. Brooks Camp on the other end of Naknek lake is great for watching bears fish and catching fish.

Rainbows as long as your arm. Salmon of all species with some of the best reds in the state. You should be up there in early spring to get the real big Naknek rainbows.

If you go to the southwest you could get into some of the biggest grayling in the state south of the arctic circle. Trophy fishing only.

Check out the link for AK fishing info.

http://www.alaskaflyfish.net/phpBB2/

You won't be guiding hunters, but can be packing for a guide. You have to jump through some hoops to get the guide liscense or the assistant guide liscense, and until you have taken some critters up here you won't qualify for either.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:13 pm

they'll hire anyone at the talaveiw lodge, the fishings good but the management is TERRIBLE and you will hate them within a week.
((* _________________ v ____ v
*)) __________________ v___v
((*~~~~~><)>~~~~____v_ v
*)) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~____v
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Postby AK Ducks » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:00 pm

king salmon is a nice place. its small but nice you will probally be flying out for most fishing. if you get a chance drive down to naknak (sure you;ll have the time) its cool to see all the fishing stuff around there and a chance to see the set netters
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:29 pm

King salmon ain't bad we still go down there everyonce and a blue moon and work on some equipment that we own down there. Everybody fights for the summer TDY due to the good fishin :yes:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cajuninalaska » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:46 pm

I live in King Salmon. There's a lot of guides here, which one are you going to work for?
cajuninalaska
hunter

Postby cajuninalaska » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:00 pm

ak_powder_monkey wrote:they'll hire anyone at the talaveiw lodge, the fishings good but the management is TERRIBLE and you will hate them within a week.

Where's "Talaveiw Lodge"? Never heard of it.
cajuninalaska
hunter

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:40 pm

DOn't worry about it, its a crappy lodge. A word of warning when working at lodges - You will work 12-16 hours a day demand an hourly wage and not a salary, a lodge making 7500 per client per week offered me 625/wk recently I turned them down because that went too about 5.50/hr or so :thumbsdown: needless to say I'll be fishing making 50/hr instead.
((* _________________ v ____ v
*)) __________________ v___v
((*~~~~~><)>~~~~____v_ v
*)) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~____v
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting