My kid caught her first salmon

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

My kid caught her first salmon

Postby AK Ray » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:19 pm

Check out the link to another site where I posted up the story.

http://www.duckboats.net/cgi-bin/forum/ ... ead#unread
AK Ray
hunter

Great story

Postby patrickwellis » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:43 pm

Pretty cool story ray, Were you guys down in Hope? I heard they are coming in their big time.
Nationwide waterfowlers pro-staff
patrickwellis
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:05 am

We were just above the bridge there at Hope. There were more people down at the "mouth" below town, but I liked the quiet water where we were. It was the perfect spot for a kid and the waders weren't needed until I had to chase down the tail snagged fish.

This being an even numbered year the pink run on all streams not supported by a hatchery, is about 75% lower than an odd numbered year. The great mystery of pinks across the state.

That said I would hate to see this place in 2008 - rather than a few thousand fish there will be tens of thousands. Right now there are not too many people since there are limited places to fish without it turning into the Russian sanctuary combat zone.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby akbrett » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:29 pm

Great story and pics Ray! I can't wait 'til my boy is old enough to do some of that with. He's got the bug and keeps asking, he's just a little too small yet. Until then the stocked rainbows will just have to do.
akbrett
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:23 am

You should be wicked proud Ray, thats a great time in any parents life, and in hers. It took me about 25 years longer then that to catch my first salmon!
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:13 am

NHDuckHunter,

think of it in reverse - it may take her 25 years to catch her first catfish/perch/striped bass/bluefish/big mouth bass. Until then she will just be going between trout and salmon and maybe some halibut and rock fish.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:39 am

AK Ray wrote:NHDuckHunter,

think of it in reverse - it may take her 25 years to catch her first catfish/perch/striped bass/bluefish/big mouth bass. Until then she will just be going between trout and salmon and maybe some halibut and rock fish.

True, but I think any of us "Southerners" would agree, I'll trade 1000 bass for one of those!!!! They taste so much better... which coincidentally is why I throw back all my bass, but pay $11/lb for salmon at the market.

Maybe we can just trade a trip, you two can come down here and catch all the stripers and blues you want, and I'll come up there and head out with you :wink:
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby skybust » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:58 am

Congrats Ray sounds like she had a blast Sidney got his first silver on Monday. Chris
skybust
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting