Looking for opinions...

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Looking for opinions...

Postby akbrett » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:51 am

I am in the process of buying a PWS boat and was curious what your "ideal" electronics pkg would be and why.

Thanks
Brett
akbrett
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:14 pm

It has been years since I have spent any time on the open water, but my friends that do rely on the new GPS systems that they can upload the marine charts to. They have the combination systems with a depth finder/fish chart on one side and the map on the other half of the screen.

Due to the quality of the new GPS systems radar is now used just to avoid other boats in the fog. Not many people are opting for radar even though the combination units are so cheap these days.

An old coworker had one of those marine radios with a remote "wireless" mic to clip onto her rain gear. She had mixed feelings about it, but when both her and the hubby were aft fighting a big fish it did come in handy to let the other boats in their group know what was happening.

As to which brand, I can't help, but with all electronics buy them from someplace with an outstanding return policy. Get something that matches the features that you are looking for. Some systems have many neat things about them, but you may not ever use them so why pay more for dust collecting items.
AK Ray
hunter

Instruments

Postby otterbfishin » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:26 pm

Brett,
I am not in the current "know" about the brands you'll need. I piloted a scientific research vessel in the Beaufort sea for three seasons and the radar, depth finder, reliable clock, and a really good compass stood me well even in dense fog and bad seas. These new GPS/depth finders look really good to me and I've looked at the Lowrance 67C (I think?) Gives you a color display with downloadable coastal navigation and depth/fish. I guess it depends on how much of that slope money you can drag away from the family for the boat. That's always the dilemma. Glad to hear you're outfitting a PWS vessel!! It's on my wish list too.
I'm in a quandary myself. My birthday is this month and my wife has asked what I would like to have for it. I told her a depth/fish finder for the river boat. I need one that will give depth at speed. I just have no idea which one would be the best buy. She can't spend big bucks.
Anybody have any input for me?
Jesse
otterbfishin
hunter

Postby akbrett » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:28 am

Thanks guys. I was planning on the radar/sonar/gps chartplotter combo on a 12" screen thing. I just wasn't sure on the brand or particular style. I think I've settled on a Lowrance sytem. I can't seem to find anyone who has had a problem with either Lowrance or Garmin, but with Garmin you seem to pay more for the name. Furuno is way too much $$ for my budget.

My wife is graciously letting me splurge on this one. I've been dealing with the dealer in Soldotna (much more pleasant and helpful than Deweys) on an '08 26' Pacific Cruiser with a pair of 150 Yamahas. I think it will work out well as a family boat. I am hoping to take the boy out and spend several days at a time during my time off next summer and also use it for spring bear and maybe just a little bit of duck and deer hunting next fall :tongue:

I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions you guys have on different ways to outfit the boat or places out in PWS that are a must see.

Thanks
Brett
akbrett
hunter

Re: Instruments

Postby AK Ray » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:02 pm

otterbfishin wrote:Brett,
I told her a depth/fish finder for the river boat. I need one that will give depth at speed. I just have no idea which one would be the best buy. She can't spend big bucks.
Anybody have any input for me?
Jesse

Jesse, the depth at speed is a real issue in a river boat since with a stern mounted pinger your bow is already aground by the time your stern lets you know you are getting shallow.

If you have the time, I would suggest searching iBoats (http://forums.iboats.com/) for any info. I am sure this boating specific site has had your same question asked on it at some point in the past. I did a quick search and found that the words depth finder and shallow will return a lot of posts.

A through hull pinger may work, but I think those are for plastic hulled boats and won't work on metal hulls.

I do know that you should get the system with the widest cone available for the model. This will allow for a more forward look.

Ray
AK Ray
hunter

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:46 pm

GPS, and Sonar is a must, if you have the money a radar would be great for PWS, especially when it gets kinda foggy

Above all make sure you have GOOD CHARTS and a COMPASS and know how to use them...
((* _________________ v ____ v
*)) __________________ v___v
((*~~~~~><)>~~~~____v_ v
*)) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~____v
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Postby otterbfishin » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:33 pm

Ray,
Thanks much for the knowledge. I will definitely look for the wide cone unit. Yea, Ive heard that thru hull transducers don't work well on aluminum hulls. Have to be a transom mount. Even with the bow to stearn differential with this kind unit, a guy should be able to judge the rise in the bottom and make adjustments. As it is now, I'm just reading the surface of the water and watching the jet wash for color when I think I'm in the shallows. No problem in the clear water streams that I run, but most water is usually glacial silt brown. Boy did I almost bite it going down the Knik! Very hard water to read because of the slow current and the relatively flat water. By watching the jet wash I just was able to make a 180 to save me from a tough drag off a silt shoal. That's one reason I want this depth finder. I only draw about 6" of water on idle, and could nose around and find channels, etc. and mark them with the Hand held GPS. I'd like to be able to get out to that point you and I were talking about last year. If I could mark the channel, you and I will go out there. My loaded hull weighs in at around 600 pounds with me a full tank and no extra gear, so you don't want to be dragging that thing off of sand bars! Any way this thread was for Brett and his gear. Sorry, Brett, for dragging my needs in, and thanks again Ray for the info.
Jesse
otterbfishin
hunter

Postby Danoinak » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:39 am

ak_powder_monkey wrote:GPS, and Sonar is a must, if you have the money a radar would be great for PWS, especially when it gets kinda foggy

Above all make sure you have GOOD CHARTS and a COMPASS and know how to use them...

Gotta agree with Powder Monkey here. All the fancy electronics in the world won't do you a bit of good if you have an electrical failure. Always have a good set of paper charts onboard. I'm a Harbor Master in SE, and you wouldn't believe the number of fancy boats that I see come through from Seattle that don't have any charts other than their chartplotter.
Danoinak
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting