bristol bay area duck hunting

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

bristol bay area duck hunting

Postby colemanhuntsducks » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:32 am

i spend my summer up there just wondering how u guys do during the waterfowl season
colemanhuntsducks
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:52 pm

Don't have an offical count but ended up with around 50 birds. Not a bad season considerin I only got to hunt once maybe twice a week if I was lucky.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby otterbfishin » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:17 pm

Coleman,
You gotta realize that most of us are not as successful as LaRedneck. This guy hunts hard, and is smart about it.
I managed to finally pull down 14 ducks this season. When I used to hunt the rice fields of central California the number would be more like 100 per year and twenty or so geese.
But, you know what, I wouldn't trade living in Alaska for all the ducks in the rice fields of my youth.
I feel great hiking back to the truck thru this beautiful land with four fat mallards for a sunrise hunt. This year it was more like two or so.
There are places here, and times, that you can get the big numbers, but only a few "chosen ones" get to be there for them.
Hats off to La Red., AkBrett, Ak Ray, and Skybust for figuring out how to do it here.
otter
otterbfishin
hunter

Postby OneLunG » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:22 pm

I'm down in Juneau, but so far we're at 182 Birds between me and another guy this season...We are on track to have over 300 by December 16th...

We've hunted 20 days in October so far....You could say we like our duck hunting :)
OneLunG
hunter

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:57 am

I wish I got to hunt bristol bay, I was seeing scoters and pins and brant every day from the tower...
((* _________________ v ____ v
*)) __________________ v___v
((*~~~~~><)>~~~~____v_ v
*)) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~____v
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:37 pm

Otter next year is your year, were gonna hammer down on them. Maybe we can get Brett out.....maybe
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby otterbfishin » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:41 pm

LaRedneck,
Thanks, I greatly look forward to next years hunt. Tula is doing much better, bringing the ducks to hand instead of dropping them on shore. I'm stoked!
otter
otterbfishin
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:23 pm

Otter, that sunset on the Lake that Shall Not Be Named in Public was plain ugly. No color to it. The Peak That Shall not Be Named In Public was just sitting there all covered in snow. Those swans swooshing overhead with their feathers ripping the air like B52's. Horrible sounding. Nobody in their right mind will ever go back to that place. Thankfully we are all out of our minds with the splendor up here. And taking a couple of those baking ducks home wasn't too bad either.

Wait, I mean it was terrible! The feathers got everywhere. And the meat was so bad tasting that I had to eat both the mallard and the wigeon to protect everyone else. yeah it was that bad. You guys should not let this happen to you or those you love.

I can't wait to get back out there.

But all my comp time will be gone by next week so it will be weekends only. Darn shool auction.

Otter, if you think Tula can find her way back down the trail in the dark, you and anyone else that has the middle of the week off should go torture yourselves some more with all that ugliness we encountered.
AK Ray
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting