Might be moving there

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Might be moving there

Postby quackattack84 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:12 pm

How is the duck hunting in alaska. i might be moving there from Michigan
quackattack84
hunter

Postby akbrett » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:53 pm

Having never hunted ducks anywhere else, I'm not sure that I can give you a satisfactory answer. It's like any other type of hunting though - if you are willing to work, it is usually pretty darn good.
akbrett
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:57 pm

It all depends on what type of hunting you are in to.

Diver hunting on the big lakes? Not much of that up here unless you move up north to the Yukon areas where the scaup spend their summers.

Goose hunting in harvested crop fields? A little bit of that around Delta Juncton for a couple of weeks during the migration. Rumored to be heavily access controlled by one local guide service. However, if you are fluent in Russian you may have really good luck getting into their fields.

Sea Duck hunting? Out of Valdez, Kodiak, Cordova, or Whittier is the best in the US according to most that venture out.

Puddle ducks on water? Considering that Alaska is the largest swamp in the US it can be really hard to find the birds consistantly. However, in the right areas some guys get 100 birds in just the few months before freeze up. Then there are guys like me that are pretty happy to go out 5 or 6 times before the water gets hard and get about 20 birds. It is not about the numbers anyway.

This last year some of the best hunting was in Cordova due to our freeze up here in Cook Inlet pushing ducks over the hills. Then it warmed up and the ducks stayed on the Copper River Delta until December. Ring King over on the Refuge has posted more than a couple of talegate shots from last fall.

If you are looking for the Bush experience and want to shoot ducks in the spring as well as the fall, then move to some place like Bethel or even further out in the sticks, but near a federal refuge. There you will be able to "subsist" on spring birds if you are a resident, but you have to be on federal land and not state land.

If you want to experince a waterfowler's wet dream move to Cold Bay. The weather conditions there are similar to your MI winters except it is happening all year long. Summer does occure for a day here and there from June to September, but then the black flies come out and eat you.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:32 am

akbrett wrote:Having never hunted ducks anywhere else, I'm not sure that I can give you a satisfactory answer. It's like any other type of hunting though - if you are willing to work, it is usually pretty darn good.

That pretty much says it right there. I've hunt around the states and here you have to diffentally work for them. I have yet to find a place where you just pull up and start blasting away. And the honey holes i've found would bring a man to tears trying to get to, expect Jesse he's a man but there here and fun to hunt if your willing to put forth the effert.

Where are you planning on moving too?
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting