Izembek Lagoon

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Izembek Lagoon

Postby KAhunter » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:04 pm

Going to be hunting in and around the Izembek Lagoon (near Cold Bay in the Aleutians) in mid septmeber. We are going after puddle ducks, geese, brant, ptarmigan, and silver salmon. Has anyone been there, near there, or heard anything about the area? Thanks for any feedback.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Izembek

Postby The Waterfowler » Mon May 19, 2008 12:34 pm

I was there in 79, 81 and 83 but in November to get birds in good plummage. September birds will be less than good trophy-wise and few Eiders in all likelyhood. A shame Emperors are still protected as you will see them in good numbers too. Watch for bears as they are around there also. Silvers will usually hit anything that flashes and Dolly Varden's also. You will be impressed with the area for sure. Weather is very unpredictable out there also.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby bucksducks » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:37 pm

great hunting, awful weather. go prepared for high winds and driving rain.have guided there for years, love/hate the place.best bird hunting in alaska. be prepared to walk. i will be there late sept.
buck
bucksducks
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting