Ptarmigan

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Ptarmigan

Postby MissedAgain » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:37 pm

Hey guys - want to come up and visit you-all next august for a couple of weeks. Will be spending 9 days somewhere around the Kenai Peninsula - maybe unless you tell me otherwise.

Here is the catch - the ladies want the inside passage cruise. I need a halibut. We all want salmon (mid-August - silvers? shouldn't have any trouble for what I've heard). Would like to do a Seward glacier trip.

Dad wants to hunt ptarmigan while he's still able - 69 and in okay shape at this point. What should we do about this? Buy a couple guns and go running around in the woods? Do a guide/outfitter? Bribe a local?

I heard non-res can't buy guns in AK.

Any suggestions, comments?

I'm planning the trip and am trying to get my card lined-up. Is Kenai the best place? Should I be looking elsewhere? What can I not afford to miss?

Thanks!

Rich
Justrich@embarqmail.com if anyone needs it.
What duck?
MissedAgain
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:12 pm

Rich, since you guys are coming from the far side of the country why not spend a little more pocket change and do a fly in bird hunt?

There is a guide service in Soldotna that flys in for bird shooters. They go to either side of Cook Inlet to the upper benches and ridges for the birds. I think he may even have dogs. This may even be the guy that was on Beneli's American Bird Hunter two years ago with Tom Knapp.

I'll peck around on the various websites (The Outdoors Directory) and see what I can come up with for the P-birds.

Your fishing and sight seeing sound good. You should be able to do a halibut and salmon charter from Seward at that time. A lot of the silvers will be moving to rivers about then so you may want to check out a river guide on the Kenai.

AK is at the bottom of the list when it comes to being loved by the gun haters like Handgun Control Inc. Many a time hunters have shown up at the Airport and had to decide on waiting two days for their guns to show up or buy one and get on the bush plane to make their guided hunt. As long as you can pass a NICS phone check and the phone line to the FBI is working on that day you are set for buying a gun. However, you now have to get it back to FLA on all those connecting flights. I recommend keeping your box and mailing it back to yourself. Perfectly legal still. Our someone here could lend you something for a day or two, but the meeting and getting it back thing could be a real hassle with the gas prices and timing and all.
AK Ray
hunter

All Alaska Lodge

Postby AK Ray » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:39 pm

AK Ray
hunter

Postby MissedAgain » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:20 pm

Thanks, Ray - much appreciated. I sent them an e-mail.

Any thoughts on lodging? There are 6 or us and dad's footing much of the bill - he wants to do a big trip for his 50th anniversary 2 years early since mom recently had a bout with lung cancer (and won). He wants to do this before anything else goes wrong with either of them - can't blame him.

Us kids will pay him back as 1 yr isn't a lot of time to come up with 5-7 grand. But I don't want to break the bank iff'n you know what I mean.

What do you locals do?
What duck?
MissedAgain
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:25 am

Research research research, money money money. There's more fishing that you can handle and more things to kill if you can find them. A fly in trip would be the best adventure for your dad. It will get him in the total wilderness and have a blast hunting with some of the best guides around. As far as lodgeing most of the guide services are in cahoots with one another, like they will tell you to stay somewhere so they can pick you up from that spot being close to them or close to were you will be leaving from. Bring tons of batteries for your camera, lol. Oh and skitter dope.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting